0 comments

Holiday

They got to the party early. It was still slow-paced. People sat around their tables with their friends drinking as they chatted. The music in the background was playing 90s R&B. The dance floor was abandoned. The people who had shown up by that time all looked marvelous.


Tammy had not envisioned herself attending a New Year’s Eve party. She always spent it cozied up in bed. The girls had convinced her to go out tonight. They had asked her to keep her night free. Her hope was that it would be a girls’ night in. She thought they would talk about what they learned in 2019 and their 2020 plans. A party was not a thrilling idea. However, she couldn’t back out. 


Winnie had managed to get them into this exclusive party at the Milan club. What comforted Tammy was that she was around friends. Also, she had been meaning to go to Milan for the longest time.


Milan was filling up quite fast for a private party. The scene was getting livelier. The DJ was also making his way into the 2000s. She was familiar with these parties. The music was played in a very systematic way. Early in the night, it was always the songs that you would want to sing along to. Usually, no one was drunk enough by this point to sing aloud. It then progressed to jams that you bop your head to. By the time the club bangers were being played, the club was full and energetic.


Tammy didn’t typically listen to the songs that ruled the club waves, but she was familiar with them. Luckily, she was also a skilled dancer, so she had no problems moving to the beat. This was also one of those days when she wanted to dance off the stress of the past year.


While all of her friends discussed their relationship statuses, she was quiet. Her thoughts were on her own situation. As a rule, she only spoke of dating when she felt there was something solid. She had gone on several dates with this guy Frank, but they were keeping it casual. 


She was feeling sad, thinking about him, because of a photo she saw on Instagram. He never really mentioned it, but he had assumed that he was on a boys’ trip down at the coast. Earlier in the day, one of his friends posted a photo with Frank having his arms wrapped around some other girl. She felt a lump in her throat. She had to go to the washroom to compose herself.


Her relationship with Frank confused her so much. She went back and forth a lot on whether she should move on or whether it was better to stay put. Frank was commitment-averse. She was fine with it initially. With time, their connection was undeniable. Though they never discussed the status of their relationship. She started to think that maybe he wanted something more serious. One day, he casually mentioned that he loved being single. She was crushed. Yet she still felt like she needed to be loyal to him.


You’re here to have a good time Tammy. You can’t spend your night hang up on Frank. In fact, tonight he doesn’t exist!


She smiled at how amazing she looked in the mirror. The only way to describe it was that she looked like a bronze goddess. She was glowing. Her hair was sleeked up in a bun with her edges laid beautifully. She outdid herself today. The occasional exercise she squeezed into her schedule the past weeks had paid off. She left the washroom feeling more confident than she had when she walked in. It was astounding what a little self-talk could do.


Her favorite song was playing as she was heading to the table. She started to dance with a man who was enjoying the song just as much. He moved closer to dance with her. 


When the song finished, he asked her if she would want to get a drink with him. He went to get the drinks. She rejoined her friends as she waited for him. For a split second, she felt guilty for enjoying herself. She brushed it off quickly by reminding herself of the photo. 


‘Would you like to join me at my table?’ he asked.


She smiled at her friends then nodded at him. They walked to an empty table in the corner. Her honesty led her to declare that her romantic life was at an odd point. He laughed a little at her confession.


‘There is absolutely no pressure. We can agree that we are just going to have fun tonight,’ he told her. She was unconvinced.


'We never have to contact each other again,' he added.


‘That’s a brilliant idea. Let's also use fake names, so that it is harder to find each other after this,’ she replied. 


‘I’m Frank, nice-’ he started.


‘No! Pick another name,’ Tammy interrupted.


'John?’ he asked laughing.


‘Great! It’s nice to meet you John. I’m Emma,’ she said. They shook hands.


They had an amazing conversation. She was intrigued by John’s intelligence and dancing skills. 


Maybe limiting our interaction to this one night isn’t the best idea. 


She didn’t mention it to him though because she didn’t want to scare him off when things were so good. They hadn’t even noticed how much time had passed until the DJ announced the countdown.


'10, 9, 8…3, 2, 1 HAPPY NEW YEAR!' the whole club shouted.


They kissed. He smiled at her, still holding her face.

‘I have to be Cinderella now. Thanks for an amazing night!’ he announced.


As Tammy watched him leave, her heart sank a little.



January 03, 2020 14:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.