13 comments

Fiction

On Little Cat Feet



You’re watching my fingers tapping on the keyboard. Those luminous green eyes are fixed on the movement…

     

     Mesmerized…


          mesmerizing… 


Help, Cat! Give me inspiration. The Naming of Cats is a great poem—but how am I going to write an essay on it? Eliot must have known cats. He used great characterizations. Why did I choose that particular poem? And speaking of naming cats…I need to name you.


I already have a name. 


You’re staring at me. I’ve heard that cats might have some sort of mind transference ability. It’s those eyes. Those deep, glowing eyes. What are you thinking? Are you trying to communicate?… Of course you are! Why didn’t it occur to me before? It’s almost as if you did tell me. Eliot! Of course. Hello, Eliot!


It’s not Eliot. It’s Ipsecattus.


You want a treat, Eliot? Oh, you’re so cute, baby. Look at all that fluffy gray fur. So soft… Eliot! It’s a perfect name for you. No—purrfect! Here you go! You like that? Good boy.


OK, fine. You can call me Eliot. But for that, I need another treat.


What?! What is it? What do you want? Oh, you are so funny! You’ve had a treat already. No, don’t look at me with those big moon eyes. Aww, you’re so sweet…here. Two more crunchies. But that’s it!


Scratch me behind the ears then. More. C’mon! More! You’re not focusing on me.


I need to focus on writing this essay. Let’s see what I have so far. Poetry Essay. The Naming of Cats from Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot. Oh! I think you recognize your name already! Every time I mention the poet, you stare at me. What a smart boy you are!


Then you should mention me in your essay. I’ll be your muse—you can pay me in catnip.


Eliot, did you know Old Possum declared that cats must have three different names? 


Of course I do. His poems are but a transcription of our legends and lore.


Listen to this, Eliot:

“The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,

     It isn’t just one of your holiday games;

You may think at first I’m as mad as a hatter

When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.” 


It’s so silly, but it’s entertaining, isn’t it? What use would a cat have for three names?


Not a bit silly. He was right. We do.


“First of all, there’s the name that the family use daily.” Yours is Eliot. That’s settled. 


Bit of a one-sided decision, but I’ll answer to Eliot—if just to honor him. Scratch behind my ears.


Oof! Careful there, you’re butting my hand! Such a sweetie… You'll make me hit the wrong keys! All right, quick scratch. I need to get back to my essay. Ah-ah-ah, get your paws off the keyboard!


“But I tell you, a cat needs a name that’s particular, a name that’s peculiar, and more dignified.” Now, Eliot, what do you think yours should be? Eliot—the poet—says it should never belong to more than one cat.


Ipsecattus, of course (meaning, roughly, the cat himself). It’s feline Latin.


Oh, I have an idea. Wouldn’t it be clever to start the essay like this? “You may think at first I’m as mad as a hatter.” That’s in the beginning of the poem. What do you think?


Scratch. The base of my tail is itchy. 


Settle down now. I can’t see to type with your tail waving in my face. 


Read the poem again. It’s called keeping up my tail perpendicular.


Stop prancing around, please! Oh, you’re going to lick me now? Aww, that’s sweet, but—ouch! A little raspy there. OK, stop. That’s enough. Sit down. Thank you. Ouch! Are you going to make bread now? Ay-yi! Your claws are like little needles. I know you don’t mean to hurt me…


You’re squinting at me. Did you just wink? Maybe I underestimated you.


Maybe I overestimated you.


Are you spreading out your whiskers at me? What does that mean? You look smug. Cat whiskers are very sensitive. I remember reading something about the way cats hold their whiskers... It has something to do with your follicles. Pulled-back whiskers means you’re apprehensive, and spread out ones means you’re relaxed and confident.


You better believe I am! Don’t bother me. I’m cherishing my pride. 


All right, back to the essay. The third name, he says, “THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.” Ooh, that gives me an idea. Scientific names are usually in Latin. I’ll look up the Latin for “The cat himself”, and that will be your formal name. Let’s see… 


“In cattus ipse. The cat himself.” If we switch it around, it flows better. Ipsecattus. What do you think?


Bingo! I may have underestimated you. You’re smarter than you look.


You look pleased, Eliot. I think you like the name I’ve given you. Eliot Ipsecattus… The third one can be your secret. T. S. says that no human research can uncover it. That just adds to your mystique, Mr. Ipsecattus. I’ll respect your cattitude.


Well, thanks. Let me just sit in profound meditation and raptly contemplate that.


Oh, good. You just sit quietly with your paws tucked in, thinking little cat thoughts, while I get some work done.


You’re being condescending. I’ll let it slide for now, but there will be payback.


Whew! Getting close to done, Eliot. A few more lines to wrap it up, and I’ll be finished! Then I can give you more attention. Maybe I’ll put on some music. You know what would be appropriate? Cats, The Musical! It’s the poems of Eliot, set to music. All the stories of your kind!


Yeah, yeah. Don’t bother. It’s just humans poorly disguised as felines, making fools of themselves. I need a nap. Wouldn’t sleep with all that caterwauling.


All right, Eliot, I’m done! Ready to send it… 


That keyboard is alluring. Looks like a good spot for a catnap. Should I…? I think I should.


No, no, Eliot! Don’t jump up—


Mmmrrrp! 


Eliot! No—-


;0[‘]96


 y6kio/8


./lkmw3



T.S. Eliot — The Naming of Cats

https://poets.org/poem/naming-cats


          


February 11, 2023 04:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Wendy Kaminski
20:29 Feb 14, 2023

I just adored this light-hearted back-and-forth between a cat and its human, Cindy! What a fun concept, and your dialogue (for want of a better name), was so SPOT ON cat<->owner! lol :) Some favorites, besides the cat's name: - "Aww, you’re so sweet…here. Two more crunchies. But that’s it!" - repeat x10 and that's my Korbie - "You'll make me hit the wrong keys! All right, quick scratch. I need to get back to my essay. Ah-ah-ah, get your paws off the keyboard!" - Korbie - "Scratch. The base of my tail is itchy." "Settle down now. I can’t...

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:28 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks, Wendy! It’s just a *slight* exaggeration of real life, and great fun to write! I love the connections you made to your own Korbie. Guilty as charged on both counts. Grew up with cats, and currently have three. (All jealous of one another…) Two were bestowed upon us a couple years ago by a friend who had to move, and a third recently chose us. So I have a lot of inspiration!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
17:07 Feb 11, 2023

Cindy, T.S. Eliot's poetry, 1939 The Naming Of Cats, is interesting to study. Your unpacking and explanation of snippets of verse to explain to humans how cats get their names. Describe their names and why they are important. One that is familial, one that is particular and one that is secret (known only to the cat). An interesting approach to the prompt. Thanks for the read. LF6

Reply

Cindy Strube
22:21 Feb 13, 2023

Lily, Thanks for the read and comment. I’m glad you found it interesting. The idea presented itself by the ending first, so I had to fill in the beginning and middle. I’ve updated it, so if you’d like give it another read and let me know what you think.

Reply

Lily Finch
23:00 Feb 13, 2023

It is much better this time around. Reads smoother. LF6.

Reply

Cindy Strube
02:36 Feb 14, 2023

Finally got to yours… Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
05:50 Feb 18, 2023

Cindy, This is such a delightful story! Infused with what I have come to know by now, your love of words and your love for animals. Being a cat lover, I can definitely vouch for it- every cat needs three names. And even if you spend three lifetimes understanding his behaviour, there will still be something left to learn😂

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:54 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks, Suma! It was entertaining to blend words and cats and words about cats… One of my favorite aspects of this platform is that we writers *can* get to know one another through our stories. We have a very mature “woman” cat (my husband calls her “The Alpha”) who has attitude, and a kittenish male who is about the same age but acts like an adolescent boy. (The keyboard crasher 😁.) Also, recently we’ve been adopted by a young tom who provided the fluffy tail.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Drake
21:12 Feb 15, 2023

This is so much what I think my own cat (and cats that I've had in the past) think when I'm attempting to converse with them. Also, this is a reason why I dread the idea of working at home. Lol! My own animal likes to get into my lap and up on my shoulders when I'm in a Zoom conference. Nicely done!

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:34 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks, David! Glad the cat character comes through. We have three, but there’s one in particular who’s a keyboard-sitter! I used to have a cat who draped himself around my neck. None of our current kitties will do that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
04:42 Feb 15, 2023

Heh, excellent ending :) I often wonder what goes through animals' minds when we converse with them. Perhaps they know more than they let on, and they just can't communicate it. Or we don't understand it when they do. A fun, light-hearted conversation, and this definitely sounds like a cat :)

Reply

Cindy Strube
06:02 Mar 01, 2023

I wrote this one in reverse. Knew the button/key was going to be pressed by a cat, because it happens! What goes through their minds? A lot more than we give them credit for—at least some of them! Yes, I’m pretty sure they do attempt to communicate, and probably get frustrated when we don’t get it! And if it sounds like a cat, maybe it’s because they’ve been somewhat successful. ; )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
20:16 Mar 23, 2023

Hey Cindy! This one was delightful! I love how it played up the poem without being too dependent on the piece. I thought you did an amazing job of characterizing both the human and the feline in this piece. I love how when we write about cats, their aloofness and attitudes add such rich flavor to our pieces-perhaps because they do that in real life. This one was purrrfect. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.