0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

KEY TO PEACE

That night, Crown prince Zax of Zygos summoned Kap commander of the armed forces and said “Kap, I want to share a secret with you. I want to go to war against Rubi Isle and conquer it.” Rubi Isle and Zygos were contiguous territories on planet tellus which is earth’s twin 800 years younger.

 “Sire, the army is ready. The chariots, the archers, the javelins, the sharp shooters, the hatchet men are prepared. Our man-of-wars are also ready for naval assault.”

“I’ve spoken to my father the king and he has left it to me to use the armed forces. I hope to start action as soon as the rains cease.  My intention should be kept secret.”

“It will be safe with me.”

The meeting was over and Kap went back. Since it was dinner time, Zax went in and was served. He ate alone as he was a bachelor: Though he was young, fair, tall and handsome he had chosen to remain single despite parental pressure. Dinner over, Zax retired to his safe private quarter. Drinks were ready for him as he was used to a nightcap. He poured the drink from a goblet into a cup and sat on his large bed. As he sipped the drink there was a knock on his door. He guessed it was Jinx who had come. He opened the door and after admitting her inside, bolted it. Jinx was a gypsy girl and he had given her easy access him. She was beautiful and had a supple body with sumptuous perfection of her promontory. She was a great harlot. She knew how to fan the flame of love or to extinguish it

Zap said “Jinx, you can pour yourself a drink and join me.”

She laughed and said “It will spoil the game of love.”

“Alright come and sit beside me.”

She obeyed.

He said “Though we’ve been together some time you never speak to entertain me.”

She laughed and said “What can a gypsy girl tell a prince? I’ve remarked about the things that are excellent and important in the life of a man - to keep warm, to drink cold, most important stand up hard to ......”

He laughed and said “You don’t have to complete what you’re saying. Those’re known to me.”

She paused and said “You never tell me your inner thoughts either. About what you consider will be your future. Of course you’ve no wife to confide in. I’m only a consort where in the duel of love you come out stronger.”

He laughed and said “You’re wrong. There’re many things a man never tells even his wife. See that little jar? You know what it contains.”

She giggled as she said “Of course I do though it embarrasses me. I remember your harvesting that lock from me as a souvenir. I wouldn’t have allowed it to be done from there by anyone other than you.” She laughed and added “I’ve never been married. But I know how to get a woman to spill the beans had I been born a man. I will put the Key To Paradise in her hands and play hard to get. I’ll say tell me what you’re concealing or the Key stays where it is - not where it is needed.”

“It isn’t that easy.”

“You may be right. After all I’m a simple woman with probably wrong ideas in the head.”

“We’ve had enough argument. Now I’m poised for action.”

She said “I can feel it. You’ll take what you need and throw me out. You won’t even confide in me. I feel like shedding tears at my plight.” She sobbed a little and said “If you confide in me we’ll both fly to paradise.”

He told her of his plans to invade RI and she asked “When will the war start?”

“Perhaps in a fortnight, when the rains are expected to cease.” He said “Heaven’s gates are above and though I’ve the key the gate seems distant.”

She at once roused his passion to such a pitch that after a while he said “I’ve entered paradise.”

She said “I’ve gone past it if it were possible.”

In the morning Jinx made her way home. Almost immediately her messenger was on her way to RI! Jinx was in the pay of the king of RI.

The king called his Chief Minister and gave the tidings. CM asked “Can it be true?”

“It is.”

CM said “If we go to war the consequences will be serious – the dead, the wounded, the damaged installations, neglect of agriculture. Let us try to avoid it. I know Zap is a womaniser. Let us send Violi to try and talk him out of any rash adventure. She is intelligent and can handle Zap.  I know Violi’s troupe is camped in Zygos to present a few programs.”

Violi was the head of a travelling culture group entertaining people with songs, dances, and plays which had become very popular. Violi was exceedingly beautiful and was a consummate actor. After CM’s message reached her, Violi cancelled performances saying she was ill and required treatment. She consulted Dr.Medz who was royalty’s physician.

Medz examined her and said “You’re over-worked and fatigued. I’ll treat you with restoratives for a week or two. With immediate effect you should relax and take rest. I’ve my suite of rooms in the royal mansion and you could move there. My treatment will start forthwith.”

Hearing of Violi’s illness Zax went to see her. He fell in love at first sight. He made enquiries about her condition and said he would visit again. In a matter of two days, Zax became a regular caller.

A day later as the two were seated talking she said “I envy you. You live in comfort and luxury though as crown prince onerous duties devolve on you. Again I fear that martial duties await you when your forces wage war. You could get killed.”

“My duties include acquisition of new territories. True I may have to go to war.”

She was silent. He said “Violi I’ve fallen in love with you. How would you answer if I offered you marriage?”

She was thoughtful for a few moments and then said “I would accept on condition you don’t go to war and cause unnecessary hardship to people. And also you promise me you won’t share your bed another female.”

He took her in his arms and kissed her ardently saying “I accept your terms” and she reciprocated. A new alliance for RI with Zygos had emerged!

END

August 29, 2022 04:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.