0 comments

Crime Suspense Teens & Young Adult

Chapter One

The guy on the news talked about the recent fires being started in the next town over.

“We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused by the fires, as we are still trying to catch this pyromaniac.”

Yeah right. That’s what they said the night before and the night before that. They promise they will catch the guy soon, yet he hasn’t been caught and yet the fires are still being set. 

“We should have the pyromaniac caught by the end of next week. If not.. Well, expect to be on full lockdown. Things could get messy.”

I sighed, and covered my ears. I could hear my parents fighting from the top of the stairs. Mother is yelling how Dad is never home and never pays attention to me nor her and Dad is yelling about how she never cooks anything, Doesn’t Do the grocery shopping, Isn’t the one who has to stay at a studio to help film things for entertainment.

“Do they ever shut up?” I muttered to myself.

I heard the door slam, and one of them stomped down the stairs. It was my mother.

“Blake, I’m going out for the night,” she said, as she pulled out her cell. I already knew who she was calling. Her “Friend,” apparently. You can tell she gets all mushy-gushy when she calls this random guy on her phone. Maybe it’s a woman, heck if I know! 

“Alright, when are you coming back?” I asked. “Soon, I promise,” She said.

I walked up to her and hugged her, tears lingering in my eyes. “I love you,” I whispered, trying not to scream. 

I bit my lip and ran upstairs to my tear scented pillowcase. It hadn't been washed in over a year, that was the least of my worries. 

I went over to my desk and started to write a plan. Mom and dad always fought because of stress, but their main worry was the fact that no one was getting enough sleep

I stared out the window and started to think. I was thinking so long I fell asleep. Morning came and I decided to go interview the neighbors and people in my neighborhood. 

I wanted to find out their strengths, weaknesses, and especially their schedules. 

I started out the door with my pen, paper and lighter, just in case. I first went to our neighbors, and pretended I was trying to find the pyromaniac.

I first asked my neighbors Jessica and Julian. “ We go to bed about 9-9:30,” Jessica said. I also found they have a soft spot for animals.

Then I interviewed the rest of the neighbors, and finally decided who my victim was going to be.

I waited for Jessica and Julian to go to bed. Then I took my can of gasoline and sprayed it all over the house.

Suddenly a light flicked on. I ran to the backyard to find shelter. I hid and waited for it to go off. I had to give myself an alibi.

I lit the house and waited a moment then rushed inside, screaming “GET OUT OF THE HOUSE IT'S ON FIRE!” 

Fast footsteps came down the stairs with their two dogs. They got out just and time, as soon as they got out it was swallowed up in flames.

Jessica grabbed her phone and called the fire department. I Hugged both of them as they were freaking out, But inside I had a smile on my face.

The fire department arrived and asked questions to the couple. Then she pointed at me and said, “That young man saved me!” I smiled.

The Fire man walked back to his truck as the officers arrived. They examined the house for a little while.

The policeman looked back at us and yelled “The house was sprayed with gasoline!” 

Jessica and Julian looked at each other and both said at the same time “The Pyromaniac.” I started to walk away, as a souvenir I always leave the lighter I use at the property. 

I wear gloves so it's not a problem. They won't catch me. I dropped the blue lighter with green flames, and went back to my house. 

My mom still isn't back, but my dad was passed out drunk on the couch. 

I ran up to my room, and started to think of a new plan, then wrote it down on paper and hid it under my bed.

I have this box my mom gave me for random stuff. It's where I keep my plans and my lighters.

I woke up the next morning, and heard the news downstairs. I thundered down the stairs, and saw both of my parents sitting on opposite sides of the couch.

“Morning Mom, morning Dad,” I said.

“Good morning, Blake,” my father said.

My mom just sat there staring at the wall. “Did you hear about the pyromaniacs attack yesterday?” I questioned. 

“Yes, all though I do wish the pyromaniac would be a dear and burn this house down with your father in it” She glared at him. 

I walked out the door and went to the skate park. I Don't have any idea how to skate, I just like to hang out there. I was sitting on the sidewalk watching this girl skate. She stopped and came over to me.

“You wanna ride?’ 

“Huh?” I said

“Do you want to ride?” She asked again

“ Oh I don't know how.” I said secretly

“I'm Maddie,” She said, reaching her hand out.

“Blake,” I said, shaking her hand. So maybe you could teach me to ride, If thats ok with your parents” I said 

“Blake I don't have parents' ' Maddie said, tearing up.

“ Oh I'm so sorry! Really- I didn't know”

“It's ok,” she said, “ I can teach you to ride. If you're up for it?”

“Of course I'm up for it!” I learned some basics that night and didn't get home till late. Me and Maddie both agreed we would meet every Tuesday and Thursday.

When I got home I heard mom and dad arguing, when they saw me they instantly stopped.

“Where were you, young man?” My mother asked in a half happy half worried face. “ I was out with a friend” I said

“I'm so happy for you! You finally have a friend!”

“Thanks mom makes me feel a whole lot better” I said sarcastically  

I walked up to my room and looked in my lighter collection and picked out my next lighter. I had chosen my newest one. 

I always buy them on my own. What would my parents think if they saw me buy all this? I sat at my desk and started thinking about Maddie. Eventually I would have to dump her as a friend or tell her the truth.

The thing no one knows about me. So many times I wish I could tell people but I can't. I would go to jail, my family and friends would hate me, and on top of that I would let Maddie down.

She was my first friend since 4th grade. In 4th grade I had a friend named Tye. We were great friends until he told my crush I liked her. 

She was the most popular girl in our grade. She told everyone and even posted it on her social media. I was the laughing stock of school and no one wanted to be my friend since.

I dropped out of school, but my parents don't know about it. Every day I'm supposed to be at school or when people go to sleep is when I attack.

Since I'm supposed to be at school no one should suspect it's me. Hopefully I'm not wrong about this.

  I skipped school today and found my next target. Maggi and Gabby. I went to their house and instead of putting gasoline on I just lit the lighter. I burnt my finger. 

“Ouch!” I said. I quickly silenced myself and lit the house. It took several minutes for the house to fully light. 

I jumped over their fence and ran back into my room. A couple hours later mom came into my room. School was over by now.

“Honey.”

“Yes Mom?”

“Why weren't you at school today?”

“W-what do you mean? I was!” 

“Your teacher called. She hasn't seen you all day.” Just then the phone rang. Mom went over to pick it up. On the other end you could hear an officer. 

“This is Officer Lodge I'm calling to talk about the Pyromaniac.” I tensed up as mom talked to the officer, becoming more nervous by the minute.

“Blake.” Mom said in disbelief.

“Yeah?” I said nervously

“They want to do a criminal search and questioning on you and some other guys.”

Nervously I thought “ Better Than being taken to jail already.”

“Why do they think it's me?” 

“Because you weren't at school when the attack happened.” The next day we went in for questioning. 

They didn't find any of us guilty, except one guy ran a red light. But anyway they told us to stay close just in case they had any new evidence.

That night I went back to the skate park and met Maddie. I learned a little bit more on how to ride then we chatted.

“Hey, can I ask you something?” She asked

“Sure, anything!”

“Why do you do it?”

“Do what?”

“The Pyromaniac attacks.” I paused a minute and ignored her question and asked one of my own.

“Are you stalking me?”

“Answer my question, Blake.”

“Why do I do it? Maddie, I don't really know. It's like a career for me!”

“That's not ok, but… I have a secret of my own.” She said looking down.

“ I stole something VERY important.”

“ What's that?” I asked, “It can't be that bad.”

“The Queen's Crown.”

I sat there and just looked at her. I wasn't disappointed or mad, rather shocked. I was sitting with a high class criminal. 

“I have to go” 

“Wait! Is it me?”

“No, I realized I'm going to be late for curfew.” I said laughing

I got home and mom was waiting for me. Shockingly behind her was three officers. 

“What are they doing here mom?”

“Honey, How could you?”

The officers moved from behind her and Officer Lodge put me in handcuffs.

“What are you doing? Mom?!” 

“Blake Madio you are under arrest for Pyromania, you have the right to remain silent, anything you say/do can and will be used against you in the court of law. “

I stood in disbelief as I was pulled into a cop car. 

“How did you know?” I asked 

“Security cameras. You criminals are getting weaker than ever.”

“I checked I didn't see any!” I said, yelling angrily.

“They were hidden in your neighbor's bushes.”

We pulled up to the station. I was resiting as much as I could but could break free.

I had one chance to get out of here, I better not blow it. The officer picked up a pen and was filling out my case files.

That's when I ran. Straight out the door Maddie pulled up on her motorcycle. 

“Too lazy to take your skateboard here?” I laughed. 

“Shut up and get on!!” 

I did as she said and we drove off. “Can we go to my house really quick please?” I begged.

Maddi drove faster and in the direction of my house.

“Thank you, I owe my Mom an apology.”

We got there and I rushed inside, Sirens in the background.

“Mom!”

“Blake?”

“I start the fires because of you and dad fighting all the time!”

“I-im so sorry! I didn't know we were causing that much pain.”

“I got to go mom! I don't have time but I will contact you. Love you.”

I rushed back out the door, the cops were almost here. I hopped back on the motorcycle with Maddie.

“Where are we going?” I asked

“My aunt's house. She's a famous criminal.”

We drove for hours and finally got there. Her grandma greeted us. 

“Who is this Maddie?”

“This is Blake.”

“Oh! The Blake?”

“Grandma…Not now!”

“Ooo I'm famous?” I chuckled

She ignored me and we went inside.

“Follow me to our room.” Maddie said

“Our?” I asked.

“Yeah, We have to share a room. There is only one room available.”

I followed her to our room, There was only one bed. No couch and the Tv remote was missing! 

There is no way I would last even a day here. I could be wrong but I doubt it. I dropped off my stuff near the window and sat down in an old rocking chair.

“You don't get many visitors do you?” I asked, looking around the dust filled room.

“No, not really,” She giggled.

We sat there a few minutes doing our own things.

“Hey, I'm going for a ride at the old skatepark, coming?”

“What if someone sees me? What if I get caught again?” I said panicked.

“There not. We will take my motorcycle for a quick get away.”

“Fine, I'll come.”

I hopped out of the chair and walked downstairs to Maddies motorcycle. We hopped on.

Chapter Two

We got to the skate park and got off. Maddie looked at me excitedly.

“What's up with you?” I Questioned.

Maddie walked to the small storage compartment and opened it up. Inside was a weird shaped present wrapped in Black paper with a silver bow.

“This is for you” Maddie smiled and showed a sense of warmth

She handed it to me and gave me a nod. I quickly unwrapped it curiously and thought of what it could be. My very own skateboard.

“Thank you Maddie, not just for the skateboard but for teaching me how to ride and for taking me to your grandma's house.”

“Ofcourse, It's the least I could do, I have my secret, you have yours and plus we're both in some deep shit.”

I grabbed the skateboard and headed towards the rails, Maddie behind me. I could tell this was going to be a friendship that lasts forever.

Sirens and more sirens roaming the street. Five minutes and they already found me?

February 09, 2023 01:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.