1 comment

Friendship Kids

"Be there in 10 minutes." she says, heading towards her bag. She hung up the phone and put her bag on her shoulder. It was nothing fancy, just a white straw one, weaved by her mother.

She stepped out of her apartment and looked back to check if she missed anything. Her apartment was just a small roof to cover her head. It had two grey sofa-beds, with not the best textures. It was old and raggedy, but Ann didn't mind, she didn't care about anything in her house. She just needed shelter.

She had a glass center table with a floral tablecloth and some of her books lying  around. There was a fan and one small AC for the living room. The curtains were a caramel brown color dappled with white flowers. The ceiling and walls were a creamy white, while the floors were white and black marbled. 

Before Ann locked her apartment, she ran back inside and grabbed her mask. She wasn't a huge fan of wearing one, and she had trouble getting used to wearing it. Ann gave one glance inside her house. She sighed in relief and locked her apartment and walked down the steps. She lived on the third floor and found it genuinely irritating. Walking up the stairs got really tiring and exhausting. Ann had complained countless times to the manager for a new apartment, but it was always the same answer. “Sorry mam. But no other house is available.”

Ann tentatively stepped outside the building and saw snow. It was surprising to see all the snow. The first snow of the winter. It's rather late for snow now.

She walked to Mary’s house, which apparently was only just around the corner. She lived in a compound villa, with a blue merle puppy and a persian cat. Ann wasn't very fond of animals. Actually, she hated animals. They were too messy, too loud, it takes too much responsibility. Ann didn't have the time for a beastly creature in her house.

Ann looked in her phone for the house location. She had never been to Mary’s house before, they had only met at the central park. The message said,

Enter Silver Canoe street and go to the first villa on the right. The name of the villa is Silver Coastal Villa. There is a guard so tell him you're going to Mary Harlow’s building. Walk forward until you see a sign saying, Mystic Orchid. Right in front of the sign you will see a building. Enter that. Walk to house no: 333 on the first floor.

Also would you like me to keep my pets out or in their pet room? 

See you soon!

Please keep in mind that I do not like animals.

Thank you for the location. She texted back.

Ann followed the exact directions in the text. She reached the villa and started talking to the guard.

“G’day mam, welcome to Silver Coastal Villa.” the guard said, saluting.

“Hello sir, I am visiting Mary Harlow, in building 6, house number…” Ann checked her phone.

“Oh! House number 333 please.”

“Does she know you comin’?” he demanded

“Yes, she is expecting me.” 

The guard quickly scribbled something on his clipboard and opened the gate.

“Have a great day!” he said happily.

“Thank you. You too.’’ Ann said softly.  

She walked forward until she saw the sign, and the building in front of it. There was a camera attached to the wall. Ann assumed it was for safety reasons so she pressed the button with the house number written on it, then she looked straight at the camera. After a moment the door clicked open and Mary walked out.

“Heyy Ann! Long time no see. You know because of this pandemic. Anyway how have you been!” Mary said in a high yet low voice. It was very smooth and easy to understand.

“Hi Mary! Yeah it's been a long time. Im great, just really bothered with everything going on. How about you?” I said in my normal quiet voice.

“Im great. It's great to see you! Oh come in, come in! Feel at home.”

“Thank you,” Ann said as she stepped into the house.

The house was massive. The lighting was beautiful, there was a chandelier above the large living room. The TV was huge and the center table was a white marble one. The couches were white and didn't look even a little raggedy. Almost everything was white.

“Come come. Let me give you a house tour!” Mary said, pulling Ann’s arm around. She uncomfortably looked down at her arm. So much for social distancing. Ann felt awkward with the feeling of someone’s hand on her arm. 

Mary led her to the dining room. There was a magnificent chandelier above the beautiful dining table. 

Mary kept yapping about her house, but Ann didnt listen. She was mesmerized by her house, and felt slightly bad about her own.

Mary brought Ann to the spiraling staircase. It was stunning! 

Upstairs there were 3 bedrooms. Ann couldn't make sense of having 3 rooms and living alone.

The house tour ended. Mary told Ann to have a seat. Ann sat on the couch awkwardly and looked around. Mary sat on the opposite side of her.

“So how are you?” she asked

“I'm good. You have a lovely house by the way.” Ann answered glancing at the door they didn't enter. 

“Thank you so much! I too think this house is quite nice.’’

“What's that room? The pet room?”

“Yes, it is. Would you like to meet my pets? They are quite friendly.”

“Uhh, i'm not sure.”

“Oh don't worry. They are the sweetest animals ever! They love new people!” Mary said, heading towards the door.

Ann shuddered with fear.

Mary unlocked the door. At first a puppy came out. The puppy gave out a little yip and jumped on the couch next to Ann. She squealed and got up instantly. 

“Ann, Ann. It's ok. Your fine.” Mary said reassuringly  

“This is Biscuit, my blue merle puppy. You probably heard a lot about her.” she said, petting Biscuit’s head.

“Yes, I actually have” Ann said, giving out a little laugh.

Then a gorgeous grey persian cat came out. 

“And this is Latte, my persian kitten!” Mary gave Ann a cheeky grin.

“She is gorgeous… They both are!” Ann said, putting her finger out to Latte. As Latte got closer, Ann sharply pulled her hand back. They talked for what seemed like forever, but Ann didn't mind at all, she enjoyed the company. Finally, Ann checked her watch.

“Oh, its so late! I should get going… goodb-”

“Wait don't leave! Were not done talking.”

“I had a wonderful time, but…” Ann sighed.

“Please. A little white longer” Mary pleading.

“Ok. OK. i'll stay for a bit.”

“Thank you!”

Ann sat down again.

“Would you like cookies, or tea?” Mary asked.

“Umm. i’ll have tea. Thank you.” Ann replied.

Mary nodded and wandered off to the kitchen then came back a few minutes later with two cups of tea.

After about 5 minutes later, Ann got up and picked up her bag. Her and Mary said their goodbyes and she opened the door. 

“Well, it's been fun! Come soon” Mary said, hugging Ann.

“Yes, for sure I will.” Ann said, hugging her back.

“I better get going now” Ann said walking out.

But as she was about to step out, she heard a meow and then, yip yip yip.

“Looks like they like you” Mary said, tilting her head.

Latte walked toward Ann and rubbed against her leg.

Ann went down on her knees and rubbed her cheeks.

Biscuit ran to Ann and licked her face. Ann smiled. 

“I’ll miss you guys too!”

“Bye Ann. Say bye guys!”

Meow

Yip yip

“Bye you guys! Bye Mary. Be safe!” Ann said with a smile.

Mary waved. Ann waved back.

April 16, 2021 20:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Zunairah Irfan
23:13 Apr 17, 2021

Thank you! I appreciate critiques.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.