0 comments

Fantasy Historical Fiction Romance

7\14\1832 . Italy, Egnazia- Puglia

It hurts when you realize you're not as important to someone as you thought. Marcel Rodriguez pulled up the blanket to cover his shoulder, he yawned and turned back and forth on his bed. When he turned around, Osiris Bolton was standing in front of him, pointing to the door with his long finger, and they both stood up in silence.

There was a lot of stuff on the floor and they didn't leave much place to walk in between, Marcel tried to find a way around in the darkness. A chill went past his veins as he stepped on cold water, Osiris beyond Marcel made a bit of noise so he allowed himself to walk around more carelessly. They reached the door and walked out of the house in silence.

Osiris tapped his shoulder lightly and passed by him " Let's go. The night is young" ,he said with a chuckle, Marcel laughed along and went after him in the streets. He took out the phone from his jeans and dialed Adrian's number, he answered after two beats. "You're coming?" Osiris turned back to him, he was skipping through the street poles in excitement. Marcel waved him off with a little smile.

It was quiet for a few seconds and then Adrian's voice came over the phone "what was it?", his voice was low from sleeping. Marcel held in his laugh while his green eyes scanned the cold night. "Get your ass up, see you in five minutes," he hung up and caught up with Osiris .

They got to Adrian's house and leaned on their bikes as they waited outside.

Marcel putted his hands in his jeans pockets when the cold breeze of the night passed by them.

" Did you call Areena?", Osiris asked and played with a rock on the ground with his shoes.

Marcel avoided eye contact " Why would I? You do it" . He laughed in silence and pulled out his phone.

Marcel looked around to see if Adrian is coming, his eyes settled on the image of him leaving the house but then he saw a girl getting out after him. There was no doubt who he was with .

He turned back and his face became pale. " She's not answering" , Osiris looked up and saw Marcel's face lossing his colour.

" Yo , are you sick?" he touched his hand and squeezed it " You're not that cold . let me wake you up" . He squeezed harder but Marcel didn't bench.

He looked at the ground and swallowed with all his strength. Osiris looked at him , concerned for a moment, he was about to say something when Adrian appeared around the corner beyond him "A bee!" ,he yelled in his ear

He jumped and was at the other side of the road in zero time, " Where, Aaa" he shouted and was hoping around.

He didn't notice the old man beyond him and once their paths crossed he looked like his heart stopped. His shouting was so loud it's seemed like it came out of a bird.

Marcel and Adrian couldn't hold their laugh and were literally on the ground when he suddenly slipped down as he lost balance.

The old man walked away with a sigh. Adrian straightened himself and stood by Areena . Marcel noticed as they got closer to each other , they were holding hands

He couldn't control his face expression, he looked away and pretended he was holding his laugh.

Osiris came to them and noticed Adrian and Areena , " Mmm, what's going on" his eyebrows went up slowly and his voice got higher as he went on.

Adrian tightened his hold on Areena's hand , she looked at him smiling. He smiling with his brown eyes, it was clear he was excited but he did try to hide it.

Areena's eyes were set on him and Marcel watched in pain. Why does it has to be him, he thought.

He had to ask that " Since when ha-.." his voice sounded weird and he stopped to clear his throat. " Since when?" he cut it short. He looked at Adrian only, he couldn't meet her eyes.

As Adrian was about to answer, Osiris voice drew all of their attention, "Shoush , that scared me" ,he putted his hand to his heart as his phone rang loudly, Marcel looked at him annoyed.

" Yea?" he held his phone to his ear and pretended he didn't see Marcel's mad gaze.

" Well , I'm sure they wouldn't mind , wouldn't you?" he took down the phones and tilted his head in their direction.

Areena asked him beyond Adrian's shoulder, "What do you mean?" her voice was quiet ,just like the mood surrounded them .

"Going to Silvia's party" he said, and felt all of them looking at him at once. Adrian and Marcel said at once "Are you nuts?"

"We're coming" he said to the phone and hang up, "Come'on guys , it's not really a party", he smiled at them " It's our revenge night".

Adrian's hair flips around on his eyes while his gaze is focused on Marcel. He could feel how much rage he has in him, and he didn't think it's was because of only Silvia, there's something more.

Marcel clenched his teeth and felt his blood runs hot with anger. Silvia used to be his ex, what people don't know is exactly that.

They dated in secret and it was before he got to know Areena.

When he found out she called out on them , on him, he felt like his heart sunken. No matter what happened in the past, they were close and they knew each other well, at least he thought he did.

To the others it's nothing less than a girl from school who's given them on more target to mess around with, but to him he didn't want revenge. He deserves it and was willing to accept it, even though its hurts still.

"What were you saying Adrian? About you and Areena" he glared at him, as might as he tried to change the subject of the conversation- which he did not want to take part in. He was trying to lead his anger towards something different.

His eyes passed by Adrian's, Areena's, and Osiris's when suddenly he realized, he wasn't curious about it at all.

He just realized Areena was a distraction, a curiosity that came from his head and not his heart. He lost the one who did by his own doing, it was his fault. He showed them his little smile slowly, trying to show him that he was interested so that they would, actually, talk.

"I'm sure you've got that figured out already by yourself," he said "but if you're insisting then, it's been a while -about a month I think". he turned to Areena with a half-worried smile, "Am I right?"

She returned him a smile and then dropped it down in anger "Two, you dumbass". Areena let go of his hand and pushed him towards Marcel "He's all yours".

Adrian and Marcel looked at her, laughing, but calmed themself down due to her angry gaze. He went closer to Marcel since he fears for his life and dragged him towards the bikes. "Let's go, Silvia is waiting" when he said it he watched as Marcel's expression shifted, he smiles to himself, knowing something is up.

They got on their bikes, Adrian next to Marcel, Areena behind him, and Osiris following as he smiles, thinking about his revenge plan for the night. The street lights flashed, going dead and then returning back to life, back and forth.

"What's with the horror movie vibe here" Areena gasped with a smile. They were all on the road, running like a flash with their bikes, leaving fast wind that made the leaves on the ground move and fly, beyond them,even though they're are'nt quite visible at night time.

Everybody laughed at Areena's comment except for Marcel, he felt like the closer they got the more he wanted to leave, run, just not see her face at the moment. He's a coward, he knows it, but how would he overcome the fear if he's afraid? If he doesn't know what to say to her? If she'd speak to him at all.

As they got there, the loud voices and music became stronger the closer they got. They slowed down their bikes and left them by the side of the road. There were quite a lot of people, half didn't even seem from their school. Marcel noticed a girl wearing a football jacket of the Calcio team, from their neighbor's school in front of theirs. When she turned around he didn't expect to see Silvia's face, not at all. No fucking chance this gonna happen.

Marcel passed through the crowd with angry eyes, his legs moved automatically at full speed. Silvia was laughing with her friends when he grabbed her shoulder and turned her around, she made a surprised, annoyed face but when her bright eyes met his, cold and angry, she breathed out. No matter how cold he looked now, in her eyes, his eyes always seems to her like magic. a gift she lost.

"Take that off. I can't see it on you" he said with greeted teeth and looked her straight in the eyes, waiting for her to take it off. Silvia's anger rose immediately,he has no right to be angry, she thought.

"I'm not going to", she looked at him with a smile and put her hands on her waist, swung around playfully from side to side. He stared at her and let out a fake laugh, he got closer by one step and didn't give a smile back. His hair covered his eyes so he pushed it up with his hand rashly. "I'm not kidding. Who's this jacket?" he said quietly so that only she could hear him, they were centimeters away from each other. She could feel his breath next to her ear, his body' movements close to hers, his smell with her own. She stopped smiling and looked at him, a cold passed through her.

She hesitated before she talked. She didn't want to tell him, she didn't want to hurt him, but then again, he did. "My boyfriend's. we're done talking, right? I have guests if you haven't noticed?", she turned around but he held her arm.

"Don't lie " he tried to say but it faded out when someone came and put his arm around her, getting her closer to him. He got paralyzed on the spot and could do nothing but stare at her for a while. Adrian, who noticed the scene for a while, came over and pulled him out of it "Hey there pal, come with me" he took him away to Areena and Osiris. Marcel's legs traveled along with him and his face were lost.

Am I really done with her? he thought. It's the end? The party was loud but he couldn't hear anything, his eyes looked at nothing and at everything at the same time. Adrian gave him a concerned look. "You're good?" he held his shoulder tightly to pain him "Stay with me". Marcel looked at him with dead eyes "I'm here" he blurted out but the moment Adrian let him go he stumbled backward and almost fell down if it wasn't for Areena who helped him.

He got back up and leaned on the wall "Thanks", Marcel brushed his hair off with his hand and the color on his face started to get back to him "I'm back, at least I think so", he licked his lips and swallowed hard.

Osiris looked at him "you need some healing time bro, it's understandable" he looked at Adrian who was looking at Areena with some eye language "What a couple night, I feel so single". That made Marcel laugh "Good to know I'm not alone".

Osiris smiled at that "there he is, he finally got back to us. But why you didn't say anything about her before?". Adrian gave him a look, is he serious?- he thought. "Sorry, too early" Osiris whispered but Marcel answered "Because it's my fault. I know it is but why can't I tell her that....", he breathed out in frustration and put his hands in his pockets.

"Just forget about her, it's too complicated. How about we'll find you a new girl?" he offered and now all of them looked at him annoyed. "Like it possible, she's the only one I treasure", Marcel spoke slowly, scanning the view with shining eyes "I realized that too late". Adrian made a serious face "I think we should head back, he needs some alone time". He took Areena's hand and they dodged to their bikes.

Marcel accidentally knocked into someone while passing, he looked up and saw it was that guy. Her boyfriend. His face became angry, he couldn't bring himself to walk away. The guy looked at him and a shadow of recognization passed by his eyes.

"You're the guy from before" he lit up a cigarette and half looked at him as he notted out "her bastard ex" and laughed out. Marcel didn't have any control at the moment, his wrist flew to his face in an instant, punching him hard. He started towards him but Adrian grabbed him and apologized in his name. He noticed that Marcel left blood on the guy's face, and he felt proud.

They got to the bikes and vanished fast into the night. The road was clear and empty, the lights were still fading in and out making their vision a bit blurry. Adrian and Areena got home first while Marcel and Osiris still traveled in the streets. They got to the riverside, Osiris was riding fast, down the road and he didn't notice Marcel into the cold night.

After a block, he noticed he was on his own and stopped his bikes "Marcel?"

November 13, 2022 12:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.