2 comments

Romance

Ted met June when they both started kindergarten. You see, they lived on the same block, right next door to one another. They would go to each others birthday parties. They were friends but never dated in school. It was during their second year of college when June was invited to go to a frat party and she wanted an escort. She asked her long time friend Tom if he would go with her. He wasn't doing anything that night anyway so he told her that he would go with her. She felt better knowing that her long time childhood friend had her back. It was at the party when all of June's girl friends kept asking her about Tom. She would say that they were just good friends and that she needed someone to go with her, that's all. But that wasn't all! She found herself getting a little more upset as her friends, as well as other girls would ask him to dance. She felt her anger build as some of them would hug and give him kisses.

This was new to her and she didn't understand it until one of her girl friends tried to leave the party with him. She jumped in and said that Tom was hers and that she had better back off. Tom felt it too. He found himself getting a little jealous when other guys would ask her for a dance.

"Well! That came up suddenly," Tom said

"Not really Tom. I guess I've always had feelings for you. And I guess seeing those girls fawning over you tonight just brought them out," June offered.

"I'll say. You nearly took Linda's head off tonight. Someone's going to have to smooth some feathers tomorrow. And if it's any consolation to you. I was about to take Joe's head off as well. What do you suppose we should do about this?" he asked on the way back to their dorm.

"There's only one thing we can do," June said.

"What's that?" Tom asked hoping she'd say date.

"I guess we need to start dating. We have a lot of catching up to do," she replied.

Tom laughed and gave her a kiss on the lips. She grabbed his face and kissed him for a long time and then they went back to their dorms.

They both called their mothers later that week and told them what had happened and what they were going to do. When Tom and June went home for spring break both of their mom's said that it was about time they realized how much they really cared for each other. It seemed that they both got lucky. Well time rolled along and they graduated from college and they both got good jobs locally. June was hired as a hotel manager at the area Skyview Hotel and Tom worked for the local P. R. firm, Add One.

One year later they were planning their wedding. Tom and June had planned this day literally years in advance. Throughout their lives they both had dreams of what their wedding day would be like, and when they compared notes, they couldn't believe their commonalities.

Tom got along really well with June's mom Alice. He would do odd jobs around the house for her as her husband, Bill had been dead for eight years now. Alice would joke or hint around to June that if she didn't hurry up and marry Tom, then she would. Alice was still a vibrant woman and any man would be very glad to have her as a wife. Tom found her charm to be very hard to resist. A few months later found them in the same bed. They would meet up about once a month. If June were anything like her mother then Tom would be one happy camper.

Three months to wedding day and June was spending half her time with her mom, Alice and Tom's mom Margo. They were going over every little detail. Who and how many guests would be the right amount. Immediate relatives were a given. That would be twenty eight people. Tom's close friends along with June's brought that number up to around fifty nine.

Well. The day of the wedding had finally arrived and June had booked the honeymoon suite at the hotel and she used it to get ready. The hotel was just across the street from the church and it was also where they would be holding the reception and dance. As a wedding gift to June and Tom. The hotel owner gave them a block of rooms for their out of town guests. June was getting ready, her mom was there helping and she had to run out. Tom was using a room just down the hall to get ready as well.

Alice was gone for quite some time and when June went to look for her she went down the hall. She knocked on the door and it opened. She walked in and found Margo standing there. Margo grabbed June and started kissing her before she had time to react. Soon June was kissing Margo and when Tom walked in with Alice he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"What's going on here?" Tom asked as he saw his mother and June in each others arms kissing.

"Tom! It's not what it looks like," June exclaimed.

"It looks like you two were getting into it pretty good to me. Why?" Tom asked.

"We just fell in love with each other over the last two years. At least you know that she won't be cheating on you with another man Tom," Margo his mother stated.

"Now what are we going to do? We have relatives that came from hundreds of miles away!" Tom asked.

"Marry her or I will!" Margo stated. "You've got about twenty minutes to decide."

With that, Margo walked out and went over to the church.

"I don't see why you're so upset Tom! I've known for quite some time now that you and mom have been seeing each other. You don't see me making a big deal about it," June said as she kissed him.

"Umm..." he started.

"Don't even try and deny it Tom. I love you very much. It just so happens that I love Margo also. You could make a big deal or just buck up and marry me. We'll have each other and you'll have mom and I'll also have Margo," June stated.

"If that's what you want," Tom said.

"I know it's what you want," June said as she left the room.

The wedding went ahead as scheduled. After the honey moon, and when they had settled down into their new home, they continued seeing their lovers. They raised two beautiful children, one girl and one boy. Their marriage lasted for over sixty years, which is more than you could say for most marriages of the time.

July 31, 2020 23:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Abby McCreary
03:05 Aug 08, 2020

strange twist, i like it!

Reply

Lonnie Larson
20:42 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you. I thought that it would make for an interesting ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.