2 comments

Science Fiction

The nuclear blast had annihilated the Earth. Most of the Earth was nothing but ash. Luckily, some places did remain and held on tightly to living trees and wildlife. Unfortunately, the viruses that resulted from the nuke took out all human life. Or so one woman named Sara and one man named John thought.

Sara didn't know why she couldn't find any one else on Earth. She was alone. "I need to live even if alone". I had to learn to hunt and fish and provide myself a home. Since no one was left in existence but me, I chose a nice farmhouse that remained empty to become my home. I grew a garden in a spot that had been a garden at one time. I tended the flowers that grew around the property. I kept myself busy. I talked to God. "I want to know why you allowed me to be the last one on Earth? I thought procreation was important to you. I do thank you for letting me live, but I miss talking to other people. I miss love. I am lonely. But, I will get up everyday and keep myself busy and try to be content with my current situation" . Everyday repeated itself again and again. A year went by and I did not feel content anymore. I felt anxious and restless. I had to get away from here for awhile. I thought if I saw new scenery and surroundings the restlessness would evaporate, even if for a little while. I packed a few clothes, food, and a few items to get me by on my journey. I stayed in different homes of my choosing as I went. I traveled many days.

John use to be an auto mechanic when life was normal. He was certain he was the only man alive because he had not seen another human being in years. He kept himself busy by working on cars he found. He had collected quite a few. He didn't drive very often to save what gas was in them. He thought maybe one day he would go somewhere. He talked to God for there was no one else. "God, I miss the touch of a woman. I miss hearing the sound of a women s voice. I miss feeling the softness of her hair. I miss the smell of a woman. If you love me Lord, let this loneliness dissipate. The silence is deafening". He went about his days, each one similar to the last. One day he thought about filling the gas tank of one car using gas from the others and just drive until he ran out of gas. "I think I will leave this place. I am lonely and I feel as if I could lose my sanity". I packed some clothes and goods and my tool collection. I took a hose in case I decided to ever return to this place. I could use it to acquire gas from other cars. There were no radio stations anymore. I drove in silence. I drove south as far as the car took me. I landed in a wooded area and the homes I saw were nice. I picked one and unpacked my car. I went inside and found a bed and lay down. I slept all night.

Sara had also chosen a home in a wooded area. She awoke and decided to look about her surroundings. She ventured outside and saw another home about five hundred feet away. John woke up and decided to go outside and watch the sun rise above the trees. Sara heard a screen door shut. When she turned in the direction of which the sound came she saw a man! John heard a sound like a woman laughing. He turned in that direction and saw a woman!

They both stared at each other and their eyes locked. They made their way towards one another. When they were within one foot from each other they stopped. They were both in shock! The weren't alone after all! They sized each other up. John was six foot one with a muscular build. He had long brown hair and green eyes. He was handsome. Sara was five foot seven and was lean but strong. She had a good figure with curves in all the right places. She had long blonde hair that was lightened and streaked from the sun. "I am Sara". "I'm John". Even though they were strangers, they embraced one another fiercely. Tears streamed down their cheeks as they lingered in each other's arms. They talked for hours and hours. They cried together and they laughed together. They were very grateful God let them find each other. The world is large and the events that had taken place were tragic. It was a miracle they had survived at all. They truly felt love at first sight. That was good because no other options were on the table! They both had the same faith. Since God had been so good to them they decided they wanted to follow his ways. They wanted to marry immediately. They performed their own marriage ceremony and straightaway went into John's dwelling. They made love over and over ravishing one another. They started a new life together in the empty world. Sara did the gardening and grew food and took care of the home. John would scout for cars and bring them home. They both hunted and fished together. They would talk for hours and hours. They made love more than once a day. Sara came to John one day with news. "John, we are pregnant".

His eyes grew as large as saucers. He looked like he was in shock. I wondered if this was a good thing or not. It was. He was elated with joy and hugged me tightly. He planted kiss after kiss all over my face. He picked me up and swung me around. We laughed and laughed. "Who knew we'd be the new Adam and Eve?" I asked him jokingly. We were both excited and happy. We looked forward to a new future with our new future family.


END

Written by:Kathy Blankenship

Kathyblankenship50@yahoo.com


April 29, 2020 23:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Spencer Rubin
23:40 May 06, 2020

Fascinating story. Combined science fiction with traditional moralism and religious context. I thought it either interesting or odd that Sara and John were strictly defined by traditional gender roles even after an apocalypse. One thing I enjoyed was theme of rebuilding a new world after one was destroyed. A few things to consider are breaking out the content and story into more separated thoughts (avoid those hunks of paragraphs), "show, don't tell" your story and the dialogue, and create a continuous theme instead of jumping around so fran...

Reply

18:15 May 07, 2020

Thank you for your input and interest and critique. Thank you for your time to read it. I have entered another story. Feel free to read it once it is displayed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.