A Funny Romance

Submitted into Contest #238 in response to: Write a story including the line “I can’t say it.”... view prompt

10 comments

Funny Romance

A Funny Romance

The coffee was by now too cold to drink. The scone seemed to be shrinking before his eyes, as it too, cooled rapidly whilst the jam and cream had developed a discernible patina after being exposed to the air for so long. How long had he sat here feeling so lost? He knew exactly where he was of course, it was the same café he visited at the same time every Saturday afternoon. Yet he felt as though his life had somehow reached an impasse, an insurmountable barrier.

He was lost within himself. This was not his real self that sat here, inert, indecisive, tortured by his own inaction. There was an easy solution: simply walk over and talk to her. So why could he not do it?

The situation was literally incredible. No one who knew him would believe nor understand his predicament. His friends, family and followers would not recognize the man almost quivering at the Edwardian-crafted, oak, polished table, in the middle of the Beauchamp Café. Tonight, in fact in only eight hours from now, he would be standing on stage in front of a large audience at the local theatre. There he would regale the crowd with funny stories, anecdotes, musings on life; some of which were thought-provoking, some poignant, but the majority were created to elicit laughter, and this they did most successfully.

So, what had created this great gulf between the man sitting here and the one on stage? The answer was in the form of a radiant creature, a glorious dream from which such beauty emanated that it seemed to dazzle his very soul. There she sat, a mere few feet across the room; yet it could have been a light year, so vast was the distance between himself and his dreams.

Perhaps that was it. Sitting here, she remained a dream, a wonderful illusion. If he spoke to her then the dream would be gone forever.

It was as though he had a double life. One world contained the love of his life, offering a future so happy that it exceeded the bounds of everyday existence. The other world was reality, her response to him would likely forever expunge his conjured bliss, her rejection would sap him of all light. But surely it was worth it, approaching her, if only to end this turmoil, to allow him to resume a not altogether unpleasant life, but one that would be somehow mundane, an ordinary existence of monochrome banality.

There was a chance his dreams may come true. Long golden hair, eyes of indiscernible colour that seemed to reflect light of all hues. The sunshine illuminated her table, enhancing the portrait in his mind of some beautiful deity, not of this world but somehow ethereal, magical. What if she did respond to him what then? Would she then reject his other self, the stage persona who would play practical jokes, write comedy sketches, entertain hundreds, sometimes thousands of others; the persona who had fans asking for his autograph and friends queueing to buy him a drink? She seemed far too reserved, too sophisticated to have such a partner.

And yet, from the moment he had first caught sight of her, he had returned regularly in the hope of catching just one more glimpse. He had discovered that she was there every week at the same time: Saturday, twelve thirty. Always the same order, a slice of Bakewell Tart with tea. Sometimes she hardly touched the food. Dammit, enough of this, he was going to talk to her.

He stood and walked purposefully across the room. As he approached, she looked up, evoking a frisson of excitement that quickly changed to terror as they made eye contact. He continued his walk to the door and left, heart pounding, tears welling in his eyes, tears of anger and frustration with his own failure. An angry inner voice berated him, “Why can’t I say it?” Next week, he told himself, next week I will speak to her.

Time slowed; each moment dragged by. During the day he wandered like a love-struck adolescent, hating himself for his hesitancy, his indecision. At night he transformed into Del de Lancey, raconteur and entertainer, confidently striding the stage, bringing laughter and warmth into the lives of others. This, he knew, could not continue.

He entered Beauchamp’s at his usual time feeling relief and surprise that she had already arrived, a little earlier than her usual time. She appeared to be deep in conversation with Laura, one of the waitresses. He did not miss the irony that, after all his visits, he now knew each waitress by name but had singularly failed in making progress to discover more about his heart's desire.

It was some time before the order was eventually written down and Laura walked towards the kitchens, but not before looking in his direction, throwing him a warm smile. Perhaps Laura was one of his fans from the theatre but, thankfully, she had never stopped to chat. He enjoyed his relative anonymity in his everyday activities.

He found himself waiting longer than usual and used the time to once more wonder if today would be the one when he finally acted to end this inner turmoil, one way or the other.

Some minutes later, Laura emerged from the kitchens carrying a large tray and proceeded towards the table occupied by the girl of his dreams who, curiously, had made a much larger order than usual. Both tea and coffee were carefully placed on the table followed by a large portion of Bakewell Tart as well as scones.

Many of the regular patrons by this time were openly curious as the young lady fumbled in her bag before withdrawing a large piece of paper. This she unfolded, carefully brushing the creases before holding it up towards his table, at the same time mesmerising him with a smile that made his heart skip a beat. On the paper was written in large, bright blue letters:

“Hello, I’m Rebecca. Would you like to join me?”

February 17, 2024 02:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Marty B
03:22 Mar 01, 2024

Oh good story! He had fallen into a trap of building up this glamorous woman, so much that she was unattainable by a mere mortal such as him. Maybe this story proves the adage, -90% of life is showing up- ;) Thanks and good luck in the contest!

Reply

David Newcombe
21:09 Mar 01, 2024

Many thanks Marty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
10:57 Feb 28, 2024

David, this was spectacularly beautiful. Rich, very vivid imagery with a beautiful flow to it. It's like a cup of very good hazelnut coffee (and I do love my coffee). You also managed to capture the juxtaposition of having all your ducks in a row elsewhere but still being tongue-tied in front of the person you love. Amazing job !

Reply

David Newcombe
21:12 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you Stella, I particularly liked the coffee comparison. Setting the scene has always been a concern for me and your comment on the imagery is very encouraging.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
18:33 Feb 25, 2024

How well you evoke the dreaded fear of rejection. You depict the huge contrast in his character in the public and private man. A well-rounded story. I’m guessing she was as shy as him, but managed to overcome it.

Reply

David Newcombe
21:32 Feb 25, 2024

Thank you for your comments Helen. I rarely submit stories but this encourages me to write more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
09:54 Feb 24, 2024

Intriguing ending. The inner conflict and anxiety of the MC was well depicted. Great read. Thanks for sharing

Reply

David Newcombe
21:12 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you Tom.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Sweeney
05:22 Feb 24, 2024

This is a very sweet story. I can relate to the man. You do a great job of detailing the agony and indecision he goes through, as well as showing us the contrast between who he is on stage vs who he is when challenged with his desire to talk to the woman. I am a bit curious as to why she asked him via printed message.

Reply

David Newcombe
21:30 Feb 25, 2024

Good day Joe, Thanks very much for the feedback. To answer your question, I felt that the ending gave a comedic twist to the story. The young lady demonstrates a sense of humour that matches the persona of her suitor. The flair with which she invites him to her table attracts the attention of other diners thus focussing attention onto her table which then becomes a stage from which the future of the young couple can develop.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.