0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

Witney sat at home while her mama went off to work to wash dishes all night long at a restaurant. Witney would prefer that her mama would stay and play instead of going off to work everyday. So was the way that life went for Witney. Daddy was retired and could play all night if Witney wanted. But there was just something special about hanging out with mama. Mama had to go out and work, because, as mama says, "Soup, doesn't make money or buy itself." Witney liked soup. Witney decided that if she wanted soup, then she would have to let mama go off to work.

Witney hopped up on her perch and waited. Washing dishes wasn't Mama's only job, it was the only job she had that paid money. Mama was also a writer and shared her stories with Witney from time to time. Witney didn't talk, but she liked to listen. Witney loved to listen to mama talk, whether she was reading a story or just telling Witney how amazing she was. Witney was awesome. She was the world's greatest jumper, had the world's longest tail, had the most sweetest and delecate voice. The compliments never stopped when Mama and Daddy were talking to Witney.

Mama had told Witney of a wonderful place where all kinds of famous authors had their work available to be read by anyone. The place was the library. Witney liked to practice being quiet so that one day when mama was a famous author, Mama would take Witney to a place where she could see all the stories that mama wrote.  Mama prepared Witney for future trips to the library by sitting down with Witney each week and reading to her.

Even if Witney never made it to the library, she could still enjoy listening as mama read to her. Mama liked reading to Witney. The reading sessions lasted about an hour. Mama always gave Witney soup to help settle Witney in for the story, like giving a child a snack at bedtim . Witney wasn't sure what she liked more, the soup or the story. She yawned. She supposed the story was nicer. Mama tried to do different voices for the different characters. Witney stretched. Soup only lasted so long when you slurp it as fast as possible. Whenever mama and daddy gave Witney soup, they had to hold the little cup, otherwise Witney would knock it over in her eagerness to not to leave one iota of flavor behind.

Mondays were Mama and Witney days. These were the days Mama sat down with Witney for reading and soup. Mama would pick up a book and set it aside and then get out the soup. Soup was an event for Witney. Whenever Mama or Daddy got it out, Witney followed it all around the couch, even though Mama and Daddy always gave it to her in the same spot on the couch. When the soup was all gone, Mama would pick up the book and start reading to Witney. The current book Mama read to Witney was about ponies. Witney wasn't sure if she liked ponies or not but she was sure she was living pony life, Witney hung around to listen to the story. Witney knew her Mama loved her. If Witney didn't want to sit next to her mama and listen, she was free to go elsewhere in the home. Mama had the type of voice that carries, that and Witney had very sensitive ears. So no matter where Mama sat and read in the home, Witney could hear her.

Witney grew impatient waiting for Mama to return from work. Mama only went off to work for a few hours, but those few hours seemed like an eternity to Witney. She was only a little girl and had no understanding of time and what it meant. All she kne was that when her mama went off to work each day, she missed her. Witney hoped her mama would come back soon.

Witney was bored. She decided that she needed to blow off some steam. A familiar fiend lay upon the rug teasing Witney. A small orange mouse lay on it side on the carpet. This won't do. Witney was supposed to be training the mice to defend her honor in an upcoming war with the bottle caps, but torturing the mice was too much fun for her. Witney jumped down from her perch and stalked her prey. Slowly, carefully, so as not to let the mouse know that a mighty huntress was about. The mouse laid, silent. It seemed unawares to the presence of the mighty huntress. Witney crept close. Her foe did not move. She imagined it casually grazing upon crumbs it found in the carpet. The mouse was not alive but Witney had a vivid and active imagination. probably from watching too many cartoons. Had the enemy known that she was about, Witney was sure that the beast would take off and run for the hills, leading Witney on a merry chase around the home. Quick as lightning, Witney moved faster than the eye could see. The mouse that originally laid helpless in the middle of the floor bounced off a distant wall.

Witney perked her ears up at the familiar jingle jangle of Mama's keys in the door. Witney jumped back up on her perch and pretended that she hadn't moved the entire night. Mama came in, put down her things, and went over to Witney. "Hi, Witney!" Mama smiled. "How are you? Did you have a good night?" Mama paused in-between questions and pretended she heard a response. Witney wasn't able to speak, like her mama and daddy, but she did communicate in her own way. Witney purred with pleasure.

Mama smiled, Witney's purr always filled her heart with joy. "Mama was able to write a story on her break, if Witney's good, mama will read it to her." Mama settled herself on the couch and invited Witney over. "Does somebody want belly rubs?"

Witney approached, she liked belly rubs better when they were from daddy. When Mama tried to put her hand out, Witney grabbed Mama's hand and nipped her. Witney had sharp teeth and Mama didn't like to be bit.

"Ow!" Mama cried, "okay, no belly rubs. But I am still going to read my new story for you, Baby Girl Princess." Mama picked up her phone and started reading from it. "Witney sat at home all night..."

April 22, 2022 04:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.