0 comments

Christmas Romance Sad

Holly:

My face was burning with the cold. My nose was red and I could see every breath I took. I snuggled myself in my winter coat over my tight dress. I kept my present for him close. However, I was still buzzing with excitement. It was the first time Chase had ever invited me to a Christmas party, or any party for that matter. But still, I could see my crush, right? I guess seniors are supposed to get past all this lovey-dovey stuff and start dating or getting a job. Not me.

My life as a high school senior was almost a normal one. I had known Chase since elementary school. We were best friends until high school. He met new friends and didn't need me anymore. I loved him since middle school, so a hiccup along the way won't change my feelings for him. He knew everything about me. My abusive dad, my spoiled sister, and my love for him. But everything changed when he became friends with the jocks. Our worlds were completely different now. He was the captain of the football team and I was the nerdy goody-two-shoes. But I never stopped loving him. Never.

I was a block away when I heard a honk from a red truck full of teenagers.

"Hey! It's the loser who follows Chase like a dog!" one yelled, then they laughed and sped away in the direction of Chase's house. I put on a smile and kept walking. They were just kidding. It'll be fine. But it wasn't.

I reached the door to Chase's house, but it was surprisingly quiet for someone having a party. Nevertheless, I knocked. A woman of about thirty years old answered the door.

"May I help you?" she said.

Strange. Chase said his parents weren't going to be home. "Oh, yes, sorry. I'm here for Chase's party?'" I said.

The woman frowned. "You must be mistaken, there's no party here. You've got the wrong house. But there is a party a block from here, won't be able to miss it."

"Oh, thank you. Sorry about that," I said to her. She just smiled and closed the door.

By the time I reached the house, my feet were already hurting. I knew it was the right house because I knew some of the people there. Including, the boys who were in the red truck. The yard was full of people, the house was full of people, and the backyard was full of people. I walked through the house to try and find Chase. I saw one of his friends and tried to talk to him.

"Hey, do you know where Chase is?" I asked.

"Probably showing his tongue down a girl's throat," he sniggered, then he walked away.

I finally found Chase by the stairwell, but his friend was right. He was making out with a girl and grabbing her ass, his knee in between her legs. My heart didn't break, but seeing that made a crack in it. I still held onto my present as if my life depended on it. I'll give it to him later. I ended up sitting in a corner, watching him make out with the blonde girl. The whole time, I wished that were me. I was wallowing in my thoughts when I was jolted out of them. I cute boy walked up to me and gave me a kind smile.

"You're not enjoying the party as you should be," he said.

I laughed softly. "I'm only here for someone. I don't usually enjoy parties."

He followed my stare to Chase. Then the boy sighed. "The girl he's kissing is, or was, my girlfriend. Who's he to you?"

I tried my best to smile. "My crush."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"It's alright," I said. "I should've expected this. What's your name?"

"I'm Allistar. What about you?"

"I'm Holly. Nice to meet you. I've never seen you at school before, are you new?"

He shook his head. "No, one of my friends was invited and they brought me along."

Finally, Chase broke up with the girl and walked away, wiping his mouth.

"I'm sorry," I said to Allistar, "but I have to do something."

I ran to Chase, calling out his name. He turned around and locked eyes with me. My heart fluttered and I just kind of stared into his green eyes.

"I have a gift for you," I whispered.

He smirked. "I bet it's a pair of socks. Your poor ass can't even afford anything."

I stung, but I was determined to give him my present. To show him how much I loved him, at least, before I go. I wished, just maybe, before I leave, I'll get to go on a loving date with him. Even if it was all fake.

"Just look," I said. I could see his friends coming closer.

"Fine." He snatched the bag and tore off the wrapping paper. Inside, was an expensive watch. His eyes lit up, but then his expression turned cold. I knew he wanted it, so I didn't understand.

"It's just a fake," he muttered.

"It's not!" I protested. "I worked for eight months to get that watch!"

He made a tsk sound and threw it on the ground. "Clearly, you didn't work hard enough." He stomped on the watch. I couldn't move.

"Chase," I whispered, "I love you."

He smiled cruelly. "And I hate you."

"Why?" I squeaked.

"Because you're ugly, fat, and especially annoying. I don't know why you thought that I'd ever like you. I thought you'd give up after I gave you the wrong address, but whatever." Chase sighed exaggeratedly. "You should leave, you're killing the mood. Go back to your nice daddy. Hopefully, he'll hit you hard enough that you won't be able to go to school. Oh, and on top of that, I hope I never see you again, loser."

I burst into tears. My heart was broken and I was humiliated in front of most of my class. I ran out of there. I could faintly hear someone calling my name, but I ignored them. I wanted to die at that moment.

December 03, 2023 14:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.