3 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

Jim and Judy seemed like the ideal couple. They expressed their love for each other daily. They had been married for twenty years and had two kids and loved their Jobs. Judy was a water lawyer who worked for the government and Jim was an architect. Jim’s childhood friends lived next store. Keri and Steve had been Jim’s best friends since seventh grade. When Steve became romantically involved with Keri, Jim would almost always accompany them on their dates. Neither Keri nor Jim seemed to mind. In fact, they encouraged it. Once Judy came on the scene, it became a foursome. They bought houses next to each other, travelled together and ate dinner together several times a week. Keri had been a year behind John in architectural school and eventually joined his firm. Steve finished law school the same year as Judy but didn’t meet her until years later. Dinner conversations were always interesting. Jim shared his latest project ideas with Keri and Steve discussed cases with Judy. Both couples shared a passion for water sports and backpacking. They both had cottages in Northern Ontario and often took one-to-two-week canoe trips in Algonquin Park. The birth of their children complicated matters but as soon as the kids reached preteen age, they accompanied their parents on all their trips.

Jim and Judy’s two children, Chad and Lisa viewed Keri and Steve as alternate parents. They would spend as much time at their house as theirs. Betty and Jerry, Steve and Keri’s kids, felt the same way about Jim and Judy. They were one big happy family. Judy occasionally felt like an outsider when Keri, Jim and Steve would share memories and inside jokes from their childhood. Who was Miss Grundy? Better still, why did the black fly story from their first canoe trip elicit so much laughter? She didn’t find it funny at all. Oh well, she thought, if it makes them happy. Anyway, for the most part, she appreciated the family atmosphere they had created and felt close to all of them. It was a great situation for all four kids.

Parties at their respective houses were always festive and interesting. Architectural parties were hosted by Jim and Keri and Lawyer parties by Steve and Judy. New friends and acquaintances often confused whose spouse was whose. Keri and Jim had an especially strong connection or chemistry that was obvious to everyone except them. Judy noticed it early in her relationship with Jim but chose to ignore it. She established a separate friendship with Steve. He seemed purposely oblivious to the connection. Judy decided not to share any concerns she may have to avoid appearing to be a paranoid jealous wife. Jim’s daily expressions of love allayed many of her fears, but they remained just below the surface. Judy’s love for Jim, their marriage and their kids created an unshakable foundation. Their friendship with Keri and Steve seemed unbreakable. These were honest, ethical, loyal and loving people. How could she question their motives? Still, when guests mistook Keri for Jim’s spouse, it stung.

***

It was Judy and Jim’s turn to hold the annual New Year’s Eve party. They invited all the usual guests. Architects and lawyers were in the majority but there many new faces. The kids were all in their late teens and invited friends. Keri had become an avid tennis player and invited many members of her tennis club. Several neighbors and people they had met on world travels and camping trips rounded out the guest list. Jim and Judy’s backyard was spacious and decked out with lights and heaters. It was a particularly balmy evening, and the grass was slightly moist from the previous day’s rain. Keri’s heels sunk slightly into the wet ground making her slightly unsteady. She wore her sheer sleeveless low cut black dress. She had maintained her lithe athletic figure even at forty-five. Her hair, worn loose to her shoulders remained black with a few streaks of gray. Judy wore more sensible flats and a cream-colored pant suit with a maroon blouse. Her hair had turned prematurely white, and she wore it short. She was taller than Keri and had a little fuller figure. Her high cheek bones, regal nose and dazzling blue eyes still made heads turn. Jim wore his usual colorful Hawaiian shirt, unbuttoned to reveal his greying chest hair and bulging pectoral muscles. Years of endurance swimming kept him fit. Steve was the least fit of the three. He had developed a bit of a paunch over the last few years. An oversized white colorless shirt draped over casual white pants hid it well. His full head of graying blonde hair and boyish good looks made him look younger than his forty-five years.

Steve was standing in a crowd of new friends making conversation. He took occasional sips from his wine glass while regaling the group with funny backpacking stories. He waved at Keri across the yard. A young dark-haired gentleman, dressed in an open white shirt and black pants smiled and asked Steve: “You’d better watch it. Your wife is standing just a few feet away. No woman likes her man flirting with another woman.”

Steve laughed. “I’m waving at my wife, so I don’t think she has anything to be jealous about.”

The man raised his eyebrows. “I’m confused. If that’s your wife, who is the guy by her side, making eyes at her? And what about that dazzling mama a few feet away I saw you laughing with a few minutes ago? You seemed really connected.”

“That’s our good friend Judy. Her husband is the guy making eyes at her. He, my wife and I have been best friends since the seventh grade.”

The dark-haired man pursed his lips, nodded and said: “Yeah right!”

Steve chuckled to himself and dismissed the comments as misplaced and maybe a little rude. He decided he’d better join Jim and Keri. He walked over to them and put an arm around Keri’s shoulders.

“Are you guys having fun?”

Keri and Jim were in the middle of a conversation with a group of lawyers. Both had been drinking rather heavily and were slightly tipsy. Keri giggled as she stopped midsentence and turned to Steve.

“Oh honey, Jim and I were just sharing the Black Fly story with everyone. Do you remember how hot it was? We all slept on top of our sleeping bags in our underwear.”

Jim added: “And we all fit into that little tent.”

Steve smiled but couldn’t resist adding: “And when we woke up, you were next to Keri, and I was next to Judy.”

Several of the listeners raised their eyebrows and inhaled deeply, expressing their shock.

Keri and Jim laughed and shook their heads. Jim waved his hand and tried to set everyone straight by saying: “No, no it’s not what you think. It was dark, I got up to pee in the middle of the night and was slightly disoriented when I returned. I guess Steve had rolled over and created an open space between him and Keri. Thinking it was my space next to Judy and my sleeping bag, I took it. We are all had a great laugh in the morning.”

Everyone seemed satisfied with the explanation but for the first time, Steve was rattled. The comment made by the guy earlier had opened his eyes to something he had only felt subliminally. There was always a connection between Jim and Keri that he never had. After all, she was Jim’s first girlfriend in sixth grade. Sure, they all became platonic friends and best buds and Jim had given his blessing to his relationship with Keri. For God sakes, he was best man at their wedding. Still, there was always that chemistry between Keri and Jim that he never had. He was sure Keri loved him and Jim loved Judy but somehow it was different. He’d always felt it but buried those feelings. He loved Keri, Judy and Jim and loved what they had. Why ruin it? He wasn’t sure that Keri or Jim acknowledged their chemistry to themselves, and he was certain they had never acted on it. Judy didn’t seem concerned, but he couldn’t believe she was as naïve or as in denial as he was.

The party ended uneventfully, and weeks passed. It was on a hike in the local woods that Steve had the opportunity to talk to Judy. Keri and Jim were up ahead laughing at some inside joke and Judy, and he were several yards behind. Judy was uncharacteristically quiet and looked irritated.

“What’s up Judy? You look upset.”

Judy looked up and smiled. “Oh, it’s nothing.”

“Okay, I’ve been meaning to run something by you. At the New Year’s party some guy mistook Jim for Keri’s husband. I know it’s happened before but this time it felt different. Have you ever noticed the special chemistry between them?”

“What? Do you think they’re having an affair?”

“No, no, nothing like that. They would never. I always knew they had a special bond, but I thought our marriage would transfer a lot of that chemistry to me. I never doubted that we’d all remain friends and was happy when Jim brought you into our circle. He clearly loved you and I thought some of that chemistry would be transferred to you. Over the past several years, I denied that their obvious chemistry still existed. Now, I’m not so sure and it’s eating at me.”

Judy took a few seconds to respond. “It’s funny that you suddenly have those feelings. Over the last few months, I’ve felt the same way. It’s been in front of our noses for at least twenty years. I don’t know what took us so long to notice it.”

“We both love our partners and love the friendship and life all four of us have created. Why ruin it? Do you think Keri and Jim even acknowledge their chemistry and realize how it makes us feel?”

“Maybe deep down but I think they’re afraid to admit it. They don’t want to ruin what we have. Besides, I think they’re both too ethical to act on their chemistry. They truly love us.”

“So, what do we do? Clearly, it bothers both of us. Eventually, one of us will explode or implode.”

Judy stopped in the middle of the path, picked up a twig broke it, and replied: “I think we’re going to have a frank discussion with our partners.”

Steve shook his head. “These guys have been my friends almost my whole life. I don’t want to lose any of them but you’re right.”

***

Jim and Keri had stopped by a pond and were skipping stones along the surface of the water and laughing.  Steve and Judy approached them, and each put their arms around their respective spouses. Jim and Keri looked up and smiled. Judy hesitated but decided she had to speak her truth.

“Sorry to interrupt your fun but Steve and I have something important to discuss with you guys.”

The laughter ceased and both Jim and Keri’s demeanor turned serious. Keri was the first to speak.

“What’s up Judy?”

“This is really hard for me to say. People are starting to comment on the obvious chemistry between you and Jim. I know it’s always been there, and you’ve never acted on it. Still, it’s starting to affect Steve and me. We know you love us and don’t know what to do about it.”

Keri’s face clouded over as she responded: “I don’t know what you’re talking about. We’re all just good friends.”

Steve shook his head. “Come on honey. You’ve always had a thing for Jim since sixth grade. I know you love me but not in the same way.”

Keri looked at Jim who shrugged. There was a pregnant silence until Jim broke it.

“Yeah, I guess I always felt it, but it didn’t change how I felt towards you guys. I love you, Judy. Keri and Steve, you are my best friends. All four of us have a great life. I wouldn’t change a thing. Sometimes, you have to control impulses to maintain the status quo and keep everyone happy.”

Judy turned to Jim and asked: “Does that mean you are aware of the chemistry? That doesn’t make me very comfortable.”

“Of course, I am and always have been. Keri and Steve are my best friends, and I would never want to do anything to hurt them or their relationship. Most all, I love you Judy and I would never hurt you.”

Judy looked down and shook her head. “That still doesn’t make me very comfortable.”

Keri turned first to Judy then Jim then Steve before saying: “I truly had no idea any of you felt this way. Sure, Jim and I have always been close but…”

Steve put his hands on Keri’s shoulders and looked into his eyes. “Come on babe, you’ve always had a thing for Jim. I just thought you’d eventually have a bigger thing for me.”

Keri started crying and mumbled: “I love you, Steve.”

***

The walk back was slow and silent. No one was holding hands or touching. An emotional chasm had opened up. The next few weeks were tough. There was tension in both households. Jim could not understand why Judy wouldn’t let it go. He wanted to proceed as if nothing had changed. Steve, on the other hand, was philosophical about the situation and was willing to maintain the status quo. Keri was confused and started attending therapy. The sessions were helpful but did not resolve anything. She finally admitted to herself that she had undeniable chemistry with Jim but didn’t know what to do about it.

Eventually Judy left Jim, but Steve and Keri remained together until Steve died prematurely from a heart attack. A few years later Jim and Keri married.

July 14, 2024 19:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kay Smith
20:13 Jul 21, 2024

What a fresh way to view the prompt! Having been in friendships similar to this- I agree, that it's hard to control the feelings of jealousy or chemistry. As a reader, a peer, and a person who is supposed to give honest feedback- I have to say that with this many characters, it's sometimes hard to keep track of who's who; especially in a short story where we don't really get to know the characters. Regarding Chad, Lisa, Betty, and Jerry-- If they are not integral pieces of the story, I would not bring them up, at least not by name... It's m...

Reply

Rudy Greene
19:51 Jul 22, 2024

Thanks for the honest critique. Observations are well founded. Rudy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:47 Jul 14, 2024

I think Steve put his hands on Keri's shoulders and looked into her eyes. Not his eyes. Complicated relationships. Maybe nothing should have been brought up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.