19 comments

African American Historical Fiction American

"Grandma, who is this lady in this picture?" Shan asked, looking up at her grandmother.

Her grandmother, Sadie, stopped brushing her hair and looked down at the photo album her granddaughter held on her lap.

"Oh, that's my grandmother, Mama Shugga".

"Mama Shugga? Was that her real name?" Shan asked, confused.

"No, baby. Her real name was Bertice Anne Taylor. They say she was the sweetest one of her ten siblings, so they called her 'Shugga Anne'."

"Wow! 10? She was the sweetest one, huh?" Shan asked, curious about this lady who she'd never met. "She sure is pretty."

"Oh, she sure was pretty. I remember her just a little. She didn't quite look like this lady here in this picture."

"Tell me more about her, grannie. Please. What do you remember her looking like?" Shan begged.

"Well, if you want to know. I will tell you." Sadie smiled as she saw her granddaughter look deeper into the picture.

"They say my grandmother was always the life of the party. I never really knew her, but I've heard so much about her. Growing up, I found myself standing in front of the mirror dressing the way I thought she would dress, all sassy like they say her personality was. I wanted to be just like her. I would sit for hours looking at that picture you are looking at now. She looked much different when I knew her. Her hair was gray, but she was just as sassy."

"They say that she never met a stranger and that she would "sash-shay" around her garden parties in the latest fashion. This was the 1960s. The pictures show her hair all done up with her beautiful flowing dresses. No one could ever match her beauty or her personality, at least that's what I heard. They say she knew all the latest news around the neighborhood. Those two words would begin her reign as queen of any party and her neighborhood. "They say..." is how she always began. People were bound to listen to what followed next. Whether it was about the new neighbors down the street that had just moved in or if it was about my granddaddy's new lawn mower. "They say" brought people to her house even when she wasn't hosting one of her legendary parties.

It was one of those "They says..." that changed my grandmother's life forever. They say that she brought up Dr. King's visit to Birmingham, AL. It was something as simple as: "They say that Dr. King will be in Birmingham this week to march for our civil rights." You see it wasn't always about the neighborhood gossip. Sometimes it was about real things. They say that it was a regular Wednesday when her pastor and his wife had come to visit. At the end of that visit, they say she had made up her mind to march with her church and Dr. King to the Mayor's office to talk about the segregation of the city."

"They say...grannie..." Shan said trying out the words a little for herself to catch the feel of them. She decided that she liked it.

"Listen to you, young'un." Sadie laughed a little at Shan.

Shan smiled, "They say that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. changed the world. Isn't that right? Did she meet him? Did she really march with him?" Shan's eyes had grown big with the mention of this famous name. She was simply amazed.

"Well, just listen. I'll get to that." Sadie explained.

"They say she threw one of her extravagant parties, just to make sure she had a way to get more people involved and that she made one of the biggest speeches of her life, even bigger than Dr. King, at least that's what they said. They say that she stood up with the biggest voice she could muster. She made everyone aware that they had a duty in changing the world, that it wasn't proper for the world to believe that living in the South under the segregation laws made things separate and equal because things sure were separate, but they weren't equal. They say she made people think about their children and the world they wanted them to grow up in. That it should truly be an equal place and not so much separate. It was time for change, and she knew she had to take up her courage and be that change. They say the tears flowed from her eyes when she talked about the future she wanted to see and that they had never seen her so passionate. They say the people who attended her party cried too. They agreed to join Mama Shugga at the march from the 16th Street Baptist Church to the Mayor's Office. They say when the day came to march they were afraid, but they trusted in the Lord with each step they took. They say you could hear the singing for miles in front of them and behind them as they interlocked arms in solidarity. They say that Dr. King led them in prayer too, and they were all encouraged to keep the faith. They say my grandmother was brave, that they all were brave soldiers fighting in prayer and psalms until they used high powered fire hoses on them, and they even used dogs to attack them. They say my grandmother was arrested along with hundreds of young people that day, even though they were being peaceful in their protest.

"She did? They didn't do anything except sing and walk." Shan looked at her grandmother in disbelief.

"Yes, baby. You are right. But they say it took all of this to turn it around. That's why you are able to learn where you learn, live where you live, and someday work where you work. They say that all their sacrifice was for you and your children."

"My children? So Mama Shugga did all this? She was something, huh?" Shan looked back at the photo of the pretty lady who somehow now seemed much more than that.

"Oh, yeah, baby. That Mama Shugga was something else, but not just Mama Shugga, but so many more. She and others helped change our world! Just think! It all started with a, 'They say...'"

Sadie laughed, and Shan did too.

Sadie began, "You know they say she charmed a man with her smile one time and got a free car..." Sadie smiled.

"Grannie...what!" Shan laughed.

January 10, 2022 13:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

21:40 Jan 29, 2022

Hi Olivia, I really enjoy reading historical fiction. This story was so very well written, I was engrossed from beginning to end. Well done.

Reply

Olivia Jackson
23:25 Jan 29, 2022

Thank you so much!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
09:24 Jan 18, 2022

Hey Olivia, That’s a really powerful piece of writing and most timely, given Dr. MLK’s anniversary and the current coverage and information in the news. Your story made the significance of the shooting and the surrounding events much more real in my mind by personalising it with your characters. The notion of passing it all down by word of mouth is a wonderful idea and highlights the tremendous power of fiction. Great stories all have the ability to make us consider our position in the world by focusing on characters and exploring the impact...

Reply

Olivia Jackson
11:34 Jan 19, 2022

Wow! How interesting that this bill is going through Parliament now! I had no idea, and it would seem this writing is on time. Honestly, what could we do if we could not express our deep concern for its disrepair without marching or waving our concerns in a public way? Honestly, like our predecessors, we'd write. I'm sure of it. I will give the idea of making it longer a little thought. This just made me go, "hmmm..." Thank you for that, HH!

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:51 Jan 21, 2022

I agree Olivia, Soon, the only thing we’re going to have left is the power of the pen and the will to seek justice for all. I noticed, after the suggestion about extending your idea, that Dr. MLK’s grand daughter, Yolanda is active and following in the family tradition. What if...? Maybe that’s a real life story that you could consider as a spring board for your novel length version? HH

Reply

Olivia Jackson
09:13 Jan 21, 2022

It's an awesome idea! I met his daughter, Bernice, in Marion, AL. They were dedicating a rose bush or tree to her mother's memory as she was from there. I went to visit one of my friends there and she just nonchalantly said, "Hey, there's this thing going on over here. You want to go?" And she was there with like five other people, not a big crowd at all. We took a picture. It was amazing...She carries the weight of her parents' sacrifice with such responsibility. You could feel it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
10:37 Jan 21, 2022

Hey Olivia, Thanks for sharing that with me. That’s quite a moment in time, and it would make an intriguing short story, given the potential and actual weight you describe. I imagine that you could happily expand the concept and it would easily hold the reader’s attention... So now it sounds as if you just got yourself a couple of new projects to work on. HH :)

Reply

Olivia Jackson
15:24 Jan 21, 2022

I sure do, HH! Thanks for this discussion of ideas. I am following your work (I'm a fan!), and I am sure we will discuss more soon!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rachel Aubertin
08:24 Jan 17, 2022

What a beautiful story.

Reply

Olivia Jackson
13:23 Jan 17, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Swan Anderson
04:56 Jan 17, 2022

I love Mama Shugga! The backbone of her community and matriarch of her family, activist and sassy speaker. A perfect story for tomorrow’s celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s birthday!

Reply

Olivia Jackson
13:25 Jan 17, 2022

I thought so too. The stories of the civil rights movement are all around me living in Alabama. This is just one I imagined having with my own Mama Coota. I'm glad you liked my story. Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
21:30 Jan 15, 2022

Awesome story! I thought Mamma Sugga would be revealed to be a real historical person.

Reply

Olivia Jackson
13:26 Jan 17, 2022

Thank you so much! She is, I guess, every historical figure's strength of the civil rights movement. I respect their strength so much.

Reply

Charlie Murphy
16:48 Jan 17, 2022

Cool. Can you read mine, "Making Amends With a Baby?

Reply

Olivia Jackson
19:03 Jan 17, 2022

Fa sho! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:08 Jan 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Olivia Jackson
13:27 Jan 17, 2022

So very true! I love the quote, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Thank you for this comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.