Not too busy...

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who always comes to the aid of others.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Travelling was a necessary evil. “How I wish I didn’t have to do so much of it?” thought Yosam, as he set out on his donkey for yet another business trip to Jerusalem. It was a circuit he did regularly, to safeguard his interests in Jerusalem and in Judea. He made sure he had supplies to last the long journey and stuffed some wine and oil too, into his carry bags, just in case. He had ensured he had taken enough money and a little more for this journey. The menace of highwaymen continued, so he packed a stout stick to ward off such marauders.

                          Here he was, seated wearily on his donkey as it stolidly treaded through the sandy soils of Samaria. He drank some water to parch his dry lips as the sun blazed in the sky overhead. He was sweating and feeling dehydrated. On and on they journeyed, he and his beast in perfect harmony. Just as he was entering the old city of Jericho, he thought he saw a piece of cloth by the side of the path. As Yosam was nearing the place he happened to see some to fellows were avoiding that part of the road. “What could it be? Why were they avoiding that?” thought Yosam as he came closer.

                          He discovered that there was a severely injured Jew who was bleeding to death. Probably beaten up by the highwaymen and cleaned of all his possessions, this man lay there groaning. “The other fellows didn’t want to get involved, I suppose,” thought Yosam. His heart bled for this unknown Jew. “True the Jews treated them like dirt. But here was a man like him. What if it had happened to me?” thought Yosam as he stopped close by and walked up to the man.

                 “Help me please,” he was moaning softly, “I have no one to help me. I got robbed and beaten up by highwaymen. Please help me, friend.”

                 “I will help you, friend,” said Yosam as he lifted the man. Using the oil and wine he had providentially brought with him, he dressed the poor man’s wounds and bandaged him as well as he could.

                 “What is your name, dear fellow, and where were you headed to?” he inquired kindly.

                 “I am Joseph from Hebron. I was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho on some business. These wretches fell upon me suddenly and look at how I am now?” he groaned. “Thanks a lot for helping me, friend. You are…”

                 “Oh. I am Yosam from Samaria. I know you people hate us. But I had to stop and help you, friend. No one else was. And God knows what would have happened to you if I simply ignored you.”

                 Yosam carefully lifted Joseph and made him sit on his donkey. He walked with the donkey slowly till they reached the fringes of Jericho. There he found an inn. Again he carefully carried Joseph to a bed in the inn and spoke to the innkeeper. The Innkeeper was curious. “How come a Samaritan is coming to my inn with a Jew?” he wondered.

“I am Yosam from Samaria Sir,” he introduced himself, “am bringing Joseph from Hebron to your house. He has been attacked by highwaymen and is injured. I have done what I could but he may need the services of a good physician. Please help him out, Sir. I will pay you for him as he has no money with him.” He took some coins and placed them carefully in the Innkeepers hand.

“That’s very kind of you, Yosam,” replied the Innkeeper as he took the payment, “this will be enough payment for the present. I will get this man better. Will I see you again?” he was used to seeing people drop in and drop out frequently.

“I will be back on my circuit by next week this day, most likely. Do look out for me. I will pay you the rest of the money when I come.”

“Thank you so much dear friend,” said Joseph, “I will surely repay you soon. Am sending word to my father in Hebron from here. He will come by next week, I hope.”

“Don’t worry about that Joseph. It is only the least I could do to you.”

The week went past. Joseph had recovered fully. His father came. “The Lord our God protected you, my son,” he said as soon as he saw him. He hugged him and kissed him, “your mother and I were so worried when I got your message. I set out immediately and came here. I am so happy to find that you are well.”  He wanted to take him home, back to Hebron.

“Let's wait for a little while Father,” replied Joseph, ”the man who helped out was one Yosam. I want you to meet him. He is coming here soon. We will thank him and this innkeeper before we start back.”

True enough in an hour Yosam came to the inn. He had had a good trip and was smiling. He cheerfully enquired from the innkeeper about Joseph and offered to pay him.”

“Don’t worry Sir, Joseph’s father came and paid me up. They both wanted to see you.”

“Oh Yosam, thank you so much for helping me last week. This is my father Jacob. He wants to see you.” Said, Joseph.

“I am so happy to see you hale and hearty Joseph.” Said Yosam as he turned to face Jacob. Tears were streaming out of Jacob’s eyes as he hugged Yosam. “ You were like an angel of mercy for my dear son Joseph. May the Lord God Yahweh bless you and make His face shine upon you, my dear brother!”

Yosam was astonished. A Jewish elder blessing him! That was the first time it happened to him in all his journeyings.

For Yosam, helping others was natural. He always placed himself in the sandals of the other man. This landed him in some difficult situations too. He remembered Joanna. She was a Samaritan woman from Sychar. She had a colourful past and was considered evil by her townspeople. Yosam used to try and avoid her as much as possible when he visited Sychar. But she insisted that he meet him the last time he visited the town. She told him at length about an encounter she had with a strange Rabbi, called Jesus. She said he was the much-awaited Messiah! She told him that her life had been transformed by that rabbi.

“I wonder about that rabbi. How does he manage to change people?”, thought Yosam as he continued on his journey, “maybe one day he would meet Rabbi Jesus. I look forward to meeting Him.”

July 02, 2020 12:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nandan Prasad
13:54 Jul 09, 2020

Hey, I got this story as part of the Critique Circle, and I must say that even though I'd heard of this story before, I didn't know most of the details you put into this. I really like that you used simple language. The story was easy to follow and the first line is great. Other than a few grammatical errors (which can be easily corrected, nothing too major), the story is fantastic. Well-done! Also, would you mind checking out my stories if it's not too much trouble? Thanks and good luck!

Reply

Anthony David M
00:43 Jul 10, 2020

Thank you, Nandan for your helpful comments. I will keep in mind the points you made. I have already commented on one of your stories. Will do others too. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.