0 comments

Fiction Funny Romance

"And they finally found their happily ever after..." Amélie closed the book in her hands, sighing softly. The emotional roller-coaster was over. She took the book and gently placed it on the bookshelf, where many books of the same genre sat. She loved romance books. They were books that she could put her heart into, because she knew in the end it'd work out. All the stress and fear would melt away for happiness, and she'd have another beautiful story on her mind. She hoped her life would work that way. True love was what she wanted above all things in her life. She glanced at her watch. It was 3 o-clock. She had an hour and a half before the boy that she hoped would like her back would be at her house. Louis. He was the main reason she kept going everyday. If she had to spend her entire life with one person, it'd be him. They had planned to study together at her house today, and she was excited. She'd been friends with him for a while, despite her parents worry's about it. He had a bit of a record of being a trouble maker, and he was a bit rude to most people. No one really realized that he didn't really mean it in a rude way, he just didn't like to talk to most people. He pushed people away sometimes, because most people couldn't be trusted. He trusted her though. It was like the stories she'd always loved, the ones where the bad boy falls in love with the kind christian girl and they married. Happily ever after. That's all she wanted. She went to the kitchen, looking through the cabinets. She wanted to make him something special. She found a box of chocolate cake mix and set it on the counter. She'd make cupcakes. It was easy, and didn't require that much time. Most importantly, he loved cupcakes. She had never been great at cooking, but surely she could bake a batch of cupcakes without too much trouble, right?

Things didn't go according to plan. The cupcakes came out fine, but by the time she finished the kitchen was a mess. She had knocked down the flour and was covered in it, and there were dirty dishes that needed cleaning. She glanced at the clock as she put the frosted cupcakes in the fridge to see it was 4:15. She only had 15 minutes before he'd show up. She got to work, scrubbing dishes and wiping counters as fast as she could. She didn't want him to think she was nasty. She was putting the last plate in the cabinet when she heard a knock. She panicked as she realized she was still covered in flour. "I'll get it!" Her brother said, going to the door. She ran to her room to get a change of clothes. She quickly pulled her shirt over her head and grabbed the closest one to her and shoved it on. It was a blue t-shirt with a cartoon dog on it. She took her jeans off and threw on a skirt that was laying on her dresser. Just as she pulled it on she heard a knock on her door. "Coming!" She ran to the door and opened it, only remembering after doing so that her hair and face was still covered in flour. "Hi Amélie-"He stopped short when he saw her. "I'm sorry, I kinda made a mess" she said, her face flushed with embarrassment. He seemed to be holding back a laugh as he said. "Its barely noticeable." She smiled a little, brushing some of the flour out of her hair. "I made you something!" She said, "Come with me!" He followed her to the kitchen, very amused at the trail of flour she was leaving behind her. He hopped up on the counter while she pulled the cupcakes out. When he saw them his eyes widened and he grinned excitedly. "Cupcakes!" He exclaimed. She smiled, setting them on the counter and hopping up next to him. "I figured we needed some snacks." She said. He picked one up and started to eat it. She watched him carefully, searching his face for a positive reaction. He ate it very quickly, then burped. "E'scuse me" he said, his mouth still full. She giggled, relieved that he liked them. "They good?" He gave her a thumbs up. She was quiet for a bit, while he ate another cupcake. He was always hungry. She watched him, enjoying his presence. To other people, he did look very intimidating. He was a rather muscular guy, with curly blond hair and glittery brown eyes. He played football, and when he was angry he was scarier than anyone she'd ever met. He didn't have many friends, and he'd always been rather closed off at school. Of course, so had she. She'd given up on friendships for a while, after losing so many friends. They'd eventually found themselves in each other's lives, and now they were friends. She loved him so much, but she'd always been scared to make their friendship anymore than that. She would hate to lose him. They sat in silence for a long moment, swinging their feet and enjoying the cupcakes. "Hey Louis?" She looked at him. "Yeah?" She hesitated, "I really like you" He blinked at her for a moment. "I like you too" He said. "I mean like- in a romantic way" He nodded. "I know" he smiled softly. "Do you like me that way too?" He nodded again. "Yes." She was quiet for a moment, heart beating fast in her heart. She hadn't expected this kind of reaction. "So....?" She prompted. He looked at her, his gaze gentle and kind. "Lets just chill, OK? If you wanna date, that's fine, but we don't have to change anything for that." She hesitated, and he slipped his hand into hers. She blushed, eyes widening slightly. "We should study"

December 15, 2023 03:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.