Luke and Katie's Relationship Reunion

Submitted into Contest #81 in response to: Write about two people reconnecting after a rough patch in their relationship.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Kids Happy

Hello everyone! My name is Luke Gates. I am 11 years old and I used to have a friend named Katie Lee. She is also 11 years old. But recently, she started to complain about literally anything. For example, once there was a fly just minding it’s own business, and then Katie told me to slap the fly because it was disgusting. I thought about killing an innocent fly was just not right, so I said no. And then she stared at the fly with disgust for another moment, and then walked on. So I started to hang out less and less with her because it is starting to get on my nerves. Now I’ve completely stopped hanging out with her and just pretend she doesn’t exist anymore. Once at school, she walked by me and just nudged me in the arm with her elbow. And I was like, “ Ow! What did you do that for? “. Then she just walked on as if I was invisible. Then there is another thing, people stared at me often just because of this WHOLE dramatic relationship thing with Katie. 

I didn’t really think it would go to this point that everyone would notice, but it still went there right up to the point that everyone would ask me or Katie about it. I sometimes wished I could be invisible or at least not to get noticed. I once even searched, “ How to be invisible “. But the resources were not informative at all. You might think I am dumb and all, but you will be surprised to know that I have top marks in almost all the categories. Many people are jealous because I’m literally the best in class. But some people learn from me and then fix their mistakes. For the learning people, I think they are my favourite. So let’s go back to the present now, I was doing my homework at home when the doorbell rang. So I rushed downstairs to open the door. 

When I opened the door, it surprised me that a classmate from my school called Dave Rupflin was standing on the porch. I waved and he waved back and said, “ May I come in? “. Wow, this kid is very polite. How could I have never noticed that? I welcomed him in and we sat down together on a couch. Then I asked, “ What brings you here at night? ”. “ Not much. “ he replied. Then he explained to me that he broke up with his girlfriend Susan a few days ago. " That was sad. ". I thought to myself while comforting Dave. Then suddenly, the thought of me and Katie breaking up came back to my mind. I thought it wasn't really a breakup, but I still like her even with what we've all gone through. But now since she is my ex-girlfriend, I can't even get within a meter of her. Another reason is that she is always annoyed to see me and occasionally bump into me on purpose. Some people comfort me and some people tease me about the dramatic relationship. Then abruptly, a motion brought me back to the present. Now I see Dave cuddling me as if he were a baby trying to grab a warm blanket. 

After Dave left, I started to research how to make someone like you again. Then I clicked on a YouTube video that has the title, " How to make someone like you again after a hard relationship. ". That video has three million views! It must be a resourceful video. At the end of the video, I felt brighter and a great weight got lifted off my shoulders. " I will try the tips tomorrow at school to make me and Katie's relationship better again. ". At about midnight, I had a dream about following the tips and end up humiliating myself in front of Katie and she will never like me again. The next day I put my uniform on and got ready for school, then I wolfed down my breakfast and sprinted out of the house and hopped onto the school bus. On the school bus, I saw Katie sitting in the last seat. So obviously I went over to her and waved with a smile. It startled me that Katie actually waved back with hope in her eyes. I guessed that meant she wanted to be with me again. So I sat next to Katie and then started using the tips from the YouTube video. First thing, you speak softly and with confidence. Second, you need to have eye contact. Third, you need to talk about something they're interested in. And lastly, You always show a smile. I guess the tips did work because Katie started to act more comfortable around me and started talking to me more frequently. 

Then at the school's front gate, I told her that we should just forgive each other and leave the whole thing behind. She agreed and walked into the school and disappeared through the crowds. during class time, our teacher Mrs Rubin told us to do a science experiment. So I chose an experiment about the artificial smell of vanilla compared to the natural smell of vanilla. My hypothesis is that people will like the artificial smell because those manufacturers add some smell to make people relax and get addicted. But the results never came out because there was a last-minute one-week long break. This was the exact right timing for me to reunite with Katie. So a day after the break started, I invited her over to my house to explain to her more about our relationship. So I told her about why first we kind of stopped hanging out together and suggested her maybe she can stop complaining about everything. Unexpectedly, she agreed with me and promised she will change and never do that again.

Then we went out to the park to buy some ice creams and we held our hands together while jogging along with the path and half-melted ice creams in our hands.  During sunset, we sat under the orange sky and licking our ice creams while holding hands and enjoying the beautiful day. Then a thing unexpected happened. Katie kissed me on the cheek and quickly turned away. This was the first time I've ever been kissed. So I blushed and turned my head away too, so Katie wouldn't see. Then I thought in my head, " This is the best day to get a kiss. I love it! ".

Written by Evan Chen

February 17, 2021 11:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.