0 comments

Western Urban Fantasy Fiction

Portal Doors 1873

A lank of a man in dark duster gets off his horse and with a handlebar mustache approaches the Native American chief. The Marshal is TX ranger Russ Williams and he is joined by a smaller man with a similar duster but has a Z-like scar on the left side of his face and more of a wind-.burnt five O' clock shave on his face. “Greeting Good-cliff, I was told you had some info about “Sawbones” McKusky. Replies the taller of two riders

“Yes Marshal, the fugitive you are looking for has passed through the doors in the far saloon that has been empty for several years now,”

“He should still be there if this place is empty Good-cliff.” Comments Oklahoma Smith the smaller of two men.

“The saloon appears empty but it is actually a gateway to the Shadow realm of its Crimean masters. The dark Raven plagues this land even if it has a plant name.”

“You must be kidding me Good-cliff.”

“I would not kid you young Oklahoma.”

“than we better get to that place before it is too late, Oklahoma. What do we need to do Good-cliff?” comments Williams.

“Come with me for some Peyote, Marshal. And I will get you there.”

Good-cliff takes the lead as he is followed by Williams and Oklahoma. Directing them to a

table with a pair of silver tipped pistol. “The Shadow Realm is not a place for regular weapons so you must use Halite and Silver as your means of ammunition. You must be warned though things seem like a typical day it is not what you see.”

“Now you are creepy me out, Good-cliff.” comments Oklahoma as he takes a seat near a campfire.

“There are more creeps in the spirit world than you realize young Oklahoma. Please have a seat marshal.” On those words Good-cliff starts to make a campfire in the fire pit and releases some Peyote root on the fire.

The room is soon laced in green-blue mist as the peyote hits the campfire. Chanting an ancient tongue thunder shatters the skies outside. A red glazed look appears in the eyes of Good-cliff and the others. The ancient tongue is understood by Williams and Oklahoma.

A dark voice is released from Good-cliff as he speaks to the young law-men. “ We are about to enter Shadow realm door but there are two choose the wrong one and hell will engulf you and it will take me longer to bring your souls back”

“I will guide you to and out of the shadow realm but I cannot enter with you each of you will have a group of pink halite stones which serves as a healing medicine if you are hurt in the shadow realm. Good Luck marshal.”

The misty blue-green haze disappears and two doors appear ahead of the lawmen. The one door echoes ”Come with me mortals and you will be rich beyond your dreams come quickly time is short.” The second door echoes “ You must return to Gaia you do not belong here.” . Williams and Oklahoma look at one another as too which door too take.

Entry:

Williams and Oklahoma reach for the second door as they roll into a mirror image of the abandoned Ghost town but this one is busy with activity It makes the town look like it never

closed down but continues it pay of interest. Several Succubi stand as saloon girls outside the doors staring at the passing individual. In the distance a mirror image of Good-cliff sits by a campfire chanting his ancient words.

“I guess we chose the right door, Boss?” comments Oklahoma.

“I hope so but we could be tricked, lets get moving who knows how long Good-cliff can keep chanting “

“ Do you mind if I get a saloon gal, Boss?”

“Hold your gun, Oklahoma we are not here to release your gun on strange creatures. So NO.”

“I just though maybe they can teach me more tricks that a normal gal can't.”

“Come on we have a fugitive to find and who knows does ladies probably will drain your soul.”

“Well if you put it that way. Okay.”

The two walk up to a saloon gal. “Excuse me Mamie. You would not happened to have seen someone who does not belong here.”

A deep bass voice come out of the saloon gal. “There are always a few Norms that pass through here. What does your buddy look like?”

Williams shows a sketch of Sawbones McKusky to the male saloon gal. “haven't seen him but if you need more let me know.” Williams and Oklahoma give the saloon gal a not look and head inside the saloon.

Saloon games

Stepping into the saloon the sounds of a busy saloon echo the room and Shadow Realm. Mixes of creepy shadow beings play and party in the saloon hall. Russ and Oklahoma walk to a large shadow being serving drinks. Russ raises his baritone voice “Evening, two Liker for my buddy and I.”

“What do you want lawman? I know because you stink of it.” comments with a rough look at Russ and Oklahoma. The crowd turns and gives the heroes a hard unwanted stare.

“Were looking for Sawbones McKusky perhaps he passed by here a day or two ago.”

“What did that Norm do, Lawman? And even if I saw him what do I get in return.”

“One thing I won't bother you again and two I will let other lawmen know that here in the shadow realm there are a few contacts who might be helpful.”

“McKusky was here a while ago but I have not seen him sense. Rumor has it he has a wench over in Mad-die's but I can't say its true.”

“Where exactly is Mad-die's, Friend?”

“We ain't friends and that prick owes me several blood coins for his fancy drinks.”

“Here is a nice gold watch for your help and directions to Mad-die's.” comments Oklahoma

The shadow bartender bites the watch to see if it is gold. Staring back with his crimson eyes he looks at the two lawmen. “A little soft for gold but it will do. Mad-die's is three streets up in the Han Chi district, but be careful of the vampire triad they don't care for lawmen. Now take your liker and get out of my place. Tell that prick he owes me 30 blood coins”

Han Chi District

The Han Chi district looks like the San Francisco China-town of the late 1800s. Several Han Chi people of Asian descent float about in the district keeping to themselves. Several give Russ and Oklahoma hard stares but go back to their daily chores Russ and Oklahoma walk up to the brothel and are greeted by Asian Succubi. Both men push back their Stetsons as they enter the brothel.

A snake-like female greets the lawmen she wears a dark night dress but slithers across the floor in her snake form. “Greetings-s Norms-s phew you are lawmen get out of my es-establishment. “

“We are only passing through Maddy were looking for McKusky have you seen him?”

“That Dandy owes me 150 blood coins but he ran off with one of my girls-s. Las-st I heard he was heading to the NW with my girl. Go get that s-son of a wench and bring me back my girl. Now get out of here you are chase-sing off the customers.”

“Northwest it will be. You have a nice place Maddy.”

The two leave the brothel and look back at Good-cliff who seems to be in a trance from his chanting. “ It looks like the old man is running out of steam, Boss.”

“Than we better find Sawbones. Pick up the pace.”

Northwestern Passage

Oklahoma takes point as he uses his Indian tracking skills to find a clue for the fugitive. Finding a limp in the footprint, Oklahoma and Russ follow it up to a sod-house in the Shadow Realm. “Is it just me Russ or do you feel a chill in the air?”

“Besides a chill in the air of this place it seems to have gotten colder as we got to that sod- house.”

Moving closer the men approaches the sod-house. Taking a peek the two spot Sawbones having a good time in the sod-house. They spot an albino white Succubus and Sawbones

drinking liker and having a good time. “How do you want to approach this chilly couple

Russ?”

“I guess the best to do is break down the doors and hold both in manacles.” Comments Russ

as he loads his silver scatter-gun with halite shells.” Ready to do this?”

“This is not the first tango I interrupted on three.” replies Oklahoma as he reaches for his silver navy pistol and bullwhip. “ I got Sawbones, you get the albino wench.”

Three...

Both men move into a position Russ takes point.

Two...

Russ raises his cowboy boot against the wooden door. Cocking his Scatter-gun.

Click....One

Russ breaks down the door and fires his halite shells at the albino woman.

Smash...Boom Boom Boom

The albino woman is pushed back against the walls as the halite shells act like rubber bullets on the woman. Oklahoma swings his lariat and captures the naked Sawbones with his trousers down.

WHAT THE HELL! Yells Sawbones

The Albino woman takes pain but her half naked body starts to heal itself. “Uh Oh!” comments Russ

“You have no idea what you are doing NORMS!” directs with a frightening tone in the Asian woman. She starts to dust herself off and raises one of her hands and aims it at the lawmen.

The woman releases a series of white frosty rays at the lawmen freezing them up with a series sign of frostbite.

Recognizing the threat Oklahoma hurls a series of cards at the woman that glow in green color.

The two start to cast a mixture of arcane and divine spells between themselves as Oklahoma continues to toss his deck of cards at her.

Russ drags Sawbones outside but is quickly surrounded by a trio of Asian men each showing

vampire fangs in their dark Johnny suits. ”Thank you Norm, we will take this troublemaker off your hands or would you rather fight three Shadow Wights in our land.”

Russ looks in shell-shock as the vampire being change over to Wights. “I don't know what he did to your triad but he is wanted for several murders in my realm.”

The lead wight-vampire speaks again. “This Norm has been playing with the wrong women and he owes our people 150 blood coins. He is found guilty and must take our punishment. What will it be, your laws do not cover here?”

The trio of Wight-vampires step closer to Russ as he places a series of halite rocks between him and the creatures of the night.

Meanwhile Oklahoma exits the sod-house and is followed by the Albino Succubus. Oklahoma looks in a daze as he spots the Wight-vampires advancing Russ and Sawbones. “This just gets weirder and weirder, Erika”

Erika looks at Oklahoma and orders her enslaved huckster. “ Leave now with your friend, fellow spell-caster the Triad will handle the fool you were chasing.”

“Yes My Love, we will leave you and your Triad.”

“Russ leave him our time here is over.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“The Triad Queen has allowed us passage if she and her servants punish him for his crimes in the Shadow realm. Come we must go.”

Russ looks at Oklahoma like he's crazy but the Wight-vampires hold their advance when Erika steps into the chilly landscape. Russ steps aside as he give his fugitive over to the triad.

“This ain't right. You can't do this marshal. They are going to kill me.”

“Its out of my hands Sawbones. I'm sure the punishment will be what you deserve for killing those three families in your mad schemes. Good luck.”

“NOO!” The triad members drag Sawbones McKusky away from the sod house.

The two pass through the portal doors and finds Good-cliff smoking his peyote pipe. “Did you find what you were looking for Marshal?”

“What I found is beyond belief. What happened to Oklahoma.?”

Oklahoma steps closer as he snaps out of his daze. “What happened? I only remember fighting an Albino witch?”

Good-cliff puffs in his peyote pipe. “Puff...It would appear Marshal...Puff your friend was charmed after what I had seen in the Shadow realm...Puff..”.

“He was lucky he was only charmed them succubi can be quite demanding...Puff...I know...”

“Okay Good-cliff what about my fugitive?”

“Only Mother Gaia knows what happened to him in the shadow realm. 150 blood coins is quite a crime in that world. Especially if he was involved with the Shadow Triad.”

The End?

. . .

May 27, 2021 00:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.