Overprotective

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who causes a huge problem.... view prompt

0 comments

General

The tall one was back again. My ears lifted as I heard the growl of his mechanical beast driving up to the house. I had memorized this sound, so I would always know when sister needed my help.


I jumped off my chair and rushed to the front window. I lifted my paws and hopped up onto the window ledge. I peered out the window and growled as I viewed the tall one take my sisters hand. How dare he touch her! I continued to watch the scene intently when, suddenly, the tall one leaned towards sister and pressed his lips to her cheek.


"Get away from her! Get away from her, you fiend!" I yelled as loud as I could. I hoped that sister would hear me and realize that she needed to escape. He was going to bite her! How could she be smiling when she was being kidnapped?


I continued to yell and jump as high as I could in the window to get their attention. I felt cool drops of water hit the back of my neck. I growled, "Not again." Father was shooting at me with the flying water. I hated the feeling of being wet so much, but this was an urgent situation. I would not stop until my sister had been saved. Why didn't my father understand that?


I shook off the wet drops and continued to call after sister. Now the tall one's arms were around her? The situation was getting very dangerous. This window was not working, so I rushed to the kitchen window.


"Poochie! Come back! Its time to go in your crate. Don't make me get the muzzle!" Father called after me.


My paws were against the kitchen window ledge and I turned my head to glare at father. I knew what "muzzle" meant. It was a very evil device and it enraged me. What use was I if I was unable to protect?


Despite the threat of the muzzle, I knew that I had to be brave and continue to protect sister. I turned back to the window to continue to yell at the tall one.


"Get away from sister!" I yelled and jumped, "Sister run inside! Quick! I will protect you from the fiend."


They began to walk towards the house and I started to panic. I had to get to the door as fast as possible. I rushed off the ledge to the front door, but father stood in my path. "There is no time for this father. I have to get rid of the tall one!" I growled.


"Poochie! Poochie! Come here! Its time for your crate," my father called back at me. Father moved slightly in an attempt to grab me and I found the opening. I rushed in between his legs and finally made it to the front door as sister and the tall one walked through.


"Hey...hey...Poochie what's going on?" the tall one knelt down towards me. I jumped back and growled. He was too close, but I could not make my move until his back was turned.


"Poochie, stop!" my sister said sternly, "You know Mike. You see him almost every day!" She looked to the tall one with pleading eyes. I knew he was trouble. "Back off!" I yelled at the tall one.


His huge hand began to creep towards me. I growled again. There was no way this intruder was going to touch me. It was time. I bared my teeth and went for the bite, but clamped down on nothing. The tall one had dodged too quickly.


"Bad dog!" yelled my father as stepped in between me and the intruder. I ignored his warning and peered between his legs to see what the tall one was doing. My sister looked sad, but it was for her own good I stop the tall one.


"This dog...I don't know what to do with him. I will never understand why he doesn't like you Mike," father said to the tall one. He was trespassing into our home, how could father not see that? He is a danger to sister.


"Well hes not very nice to anyone besides us, right Dad?" sister said with a chuckle and looked towards father.


I barked in agreement. Even sister knew the tall one was an enemy.


"Lets go to my room," sister said and the tall one followed her as she began down the hall.


"Don't worry, I got him, " I heard fathers voice behind me and a slight tug on my collar.


What? Why? Now the tall one was getting away! He was would take sister away! He could not be in this house any longer! I pulled as hard as I could and squirmed out of my fathers grasp like my life depended on it.


There it was. The weak spot just above the shoes. I had to be fast before I was captured again. In three steps, I grabbed hold of the tall one's heel and bit down.


"What the hell?" the tall one looked down as I scurried away, "Katie, he drew blood this time..."


That should teach him.


"Poochie! Get out of here!!" my sister looked at me in the eye with anger, "Go to your crate! Why do you have to be like this all the time!"


I lowered my head. How could she talk to me this way? Didn't she know I just want her to be safe? I love her.


"Babe, this is why I said I'd rather we just hang out at my place. Your dog just doesn't stop barking and I have to always watch my ankles..." the tall stood up again.


Sister sighed, "Yeah, lets just go. I'm sorry about this." Then the two of them went back to the front door.


"No come back!" I yelled, "You can't leave! You can't go with the tall one! Will you ever come back?" I raced to the door, but was held by the collar again.


"Alright Poochie, that's enough barking," I felt fathers arms wrap around me as I was picked up. I squirmed in an attempt to break free and get to the door before it closed. It was so humiliating to be picked up like this.


"So many people would love you if you just were nice. We don't always need your protection, Poochie." He began to walk towards my crate as I continued to squirm.


Why didn't the humans understand? There were dangerous creatures out there and I was the only one who could see it.


May 13, 2020 22:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.