65 comments

Fiction Romance Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

I bought a plant today. I sat it right there in her spot. The sun beamed down on the lavender chair near the window, and the television. The sun always shined on her, even when it was dark. This plant reminded me of her. Earthy, sturdy, beautiful, and firm. The opposite of me. I envied her, even though she loved me. How could she love me? How? That is what I would ask myself. Over and over and over again, each day I saw her face. Her smile was bright, teeth were perfect, and the world loved her. The world never noticed me, so how could she? When we were in high school, she would smile and wave at me. The next moment, someone was kicking me down and calling me a nerd. She was popular, and I was a punching bag. 

How dare she play with my heart, and accept my proposal to marry? “This can’t be real,” I remember thinking to myself on our wedding day. “This isn’t happening.” I looked at her, and she smiled like she was the happiest woman on earth. That’s when I knew it was all a lie.  A woman like this couldn’t possibly love me. She wanted to play with my heart like all of the others. From the wedding day moving forward, I plotted. I plotted to hurt her before she hurt me. She thought I couldn’t see it, but I did. I was pity to her.

 When I was sick, she would check me for a fever, bring me orange juice, and turn on my favorite tv show. I would wait until she left to check the juice for poison and the room for cameras. I don't know why I felt at any minute a video of me would surface on the internet and I would be the laughing stock of the world: just like I was in high school. I mean, she wasn’t doing anything wrong to me, and that was the problem. No one has ever been nice to me, liked me, or even loved me. Not even my parents. The love she gave me was uncommon. Just like the plant that I bought this morning. It was rare, like her. It was rare for a woman to look in my direction, unless she wanted help with her science homework, or for me to pick up a book she dropped in mud. I was scum, and my dreamy wife was light. That light hurt. I couldn’t take it hurting me anymore. 

I think I'm gonna make breakfast for me and the plant, just how she likes it. Me in my black apron that says “Daddy’s Cookin”, my muscles showing through the pockets, and my spatula that she gave me for Christmas. I hate her. She was so lovely. I never liked cooking until I married her. She made me feel wanted, like I meant something. That wasn’t normal. Was it? Anyway, let me finish flipping these pancakes, just right. She liked them golden brown, on both sides. A perfectionist, she was. And I was just sloppy. Once again, the complete opposite of her.

As I grab the plates and walk over to the plant, I could feel it staring at me, just like she used to. The green leaves sat there, with no movement. As she did when she was waiting for me to serve her. I also inquired what was on her mind as I delivered her breakfast. What could be going through her head knowing she married the slum from high school? Her happiness never gave me an answer. And I hated it. How could she possibly love me? Can this plant survive here? I won't water it, or nurture it. It’ll just be here. Looking beautiful, until it dies, or is killed, like her. 

I sat down by the plant, like I used to sit by her when she was here. I turned on the television, looked down at my plate and proceeded to cut the pancakes into sections. I listen closely for the plant to smack, or squirmer but it doesn’t. I know it’s watching me. Probably thinking, “what am I doing here?” Correct, what are you doing here? As I took bites of food, I decided to touch the plant's roots. They were cold. Like her body was in that chair. The roots never moved, it acted as if it was afraid of me. Why would anything or anyone be afraid of me? I am the victim. I have always been. I was a victim in that marriage. I was a lame kid that got picked by a beauty, and everybody asked why. I know her dad hated me and was disgusted at me, I know he wanted me dead. But I made a decision that she would die before me, for playing with my heart. Why did she marry me? Why? It didn’t have to end like this. This plant wouldn't be here replacing her if she just didn’t, love me. 

I remember going to that back room at the wedding reception to talk to her dad. He put his arm on my shoulder and said, “you know son, you really won with this one. She is special, she is kind, but most of all she is my baby. If you do anything to hurt her, I will hurt you.” 

I just remember staring at his lips and watching his white beard move: wondering, is this really happening? 

I stepped out of the room to see all of her family members dancing and singing. This was her crowd, this was her show. I didn’t have a family, and she wanted to  make one with me. How dare she play with my heart like this? How dare she choose me? Out of all the men in the world? Me?! Me?!

As I get up and go to the kitchen to scrape the leftover pancakes in the trash: I looked over my shoulder and saw the plant move. I know I saw it turn or wave a tiny bit, I can’t be delusional, it's impossible for me to be. The plant has been listening and watching this entire time. Just like her. It is sneaky and secretly hates me, just like her. The beauty of it haunts me, it must go, it must die. Just like her.

April 27, 2022 15:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

65 comments

Thom With An H
16:04 May 01, 2022

Thom the reader says nice writing. It was a prompt that seemed limited but you made it work.

Reply

Asia The Writer
16:27 May 01, 2022

I really appreciate this Thom! This means a lot ! My first entry !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
16:09 May 04, 2022

I think this is a great piece of short writing that demonstrates how much impact you can have with the right language and a perfect tone. Well done.

Reply

Asia The Writer
18:23 May 04, 2022

Thank you! This means a lot !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
17:22 May 02, 2022

Asia, welcome to Reedsy! What an awesome dark first submission... It's chilling, sinister, messed up... Love when we get inside a messed up character's mind! Great job with this one - will be following you for more! 😁

Reply

Asia The Writer
17:36 May 02, 2022

This actually made me cry! I appreciate this so much. This has definitely motivated me to submit more thank you!

Reply

Riel Rosehill
17:49 May 02, 2022

Oh definitely! I mean, did you know I saw this on the "Recommended" list? That means it's passed the first round of judging and it has a chance to be shortlisted / win! So, fingers crossed for you, and considering it's the first you posted... That is incredible, and I so envy you! Keep on writing! :D

Reply

Asia The Writer
18:40 May 02, 2022

I did not know that! Oh my oh my wow thank you so much for this! I just followed you, gonna read some of your stories! Thank you for the support!

Reply

Riel Rosehill
18:44 May 02, 2022

Thank you! Oh I hope I won't disappoint..! 🙈

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L.M. Lydon
14:57 May 02, 2022

What a creative direction to take the prompt in! You convey the narrator's paranoid thoughts compellingly.

Reply

Asia The Writer
17:44 May 02, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:25 May 02, 2022

This is a fascinating story. I enjoyed it. Keep it up.

Reply

Asia The Writer
13:15 May 02, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:29 May 01, 2022

You’ve created a well developed character here, who asks for my sympathy by living with such poor self esteem, yet repels me by being sinister and dangerous. I hope you are feeling somewhat elevated- great story!

Reply

Asia The Writer
16:28 May 01, 2022

This means a lot . Thank you so much !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Prim DelaPrim
19:02 Apr 30, 2022

I'm not gon hold you, some of the things in this short story I can truly relate to. I love how the use of the plant was utilized in this story as well. We all grow from pain.

Reply

Asia The Writer
00:34 May 01, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
15:38 Apr 30, 2022

I love this story! The fight between reality and the mind. The dark justified reasoning of their existence. Really good! Well done :)

Reply

Asia The Writer
15:59 Apr 30, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:20 May 07, 2022

Wow this story is amazing and so relatable. I loved every bit of it and the tone and word choice was impeccable for the prompt. Keep up the amazing work and don't stop you have a gift that needs to be shared! Keep sharing!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:01 May 05, 2022

Congratulations on a very well written first entry. Quite a take on an underwhelming prompt. It sounded boring to me, so I picked a different one. But you took it and ran with it, to use a (boring) cliche. Clever and chilling and economical. You packed so much in such a short story. It's amazing. And inspirational. Welcome to Reedsy. I am looking forward to reading more from you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
TTTrent Harvey
07:44 May 05, 2022

What an integral & chilling body of work Asia A. Well done! Always admired your abilities as a writer. Thanks for a great read!

Reply

Asia The Writer
17:02 May 05, 2022

Thank you so much Trent!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ginger Scharpe
02:54 May 05, 2022

Nicely written!

Reply

Asia The Writer
17:02 May 05, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shelby B
10:56 May 04, 2022

i loved this read! congrats on submitting your first story on here! i look forward to reading your next ones.

Reply

Asia The Writer
15:10 May 04, 2022

Thank you! This means a lot !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dunn Dunn
19:31 May 03, 2022

You’re a very unique writer I’m astounded great job can’t wait to see more.

Reply

Asia The Writer
18:23 May 04, 2022

Thank you! This means a lot !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ashley Frerichs
17:29 May 03, 2022

Wow, Asia! Your story gripped me from the very first sentence. I like what you've done with the steam of consciousness style. It makes me wonder how many people have this intense "imposter syndrome" in their relationships. Such a creative interpretation of the prompt, too. Great job!

Reply

Asia The Writer
15:06 May 04, 2022

Thank you so much for this discussion!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Janvier Harper
13:27 May 02, 2022

Very interesting and very well written. I’m loving the contrast in words. Any chance you might continue to develop this story?

Reply

Asia The Writer
17:44 May 02, 2022

Thank you so much and ummm I don't so, maybe lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Diva H
13:48 May 01, 2022

Well-composed story Asia! It is both chilling and suspenseful. I liked how you used a plant to metaphorically describe the wife.

Reply

Asia The Writer
16:28 May 01, 2022

That was the goal ! I appreciate this so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ms. Ebonyy
02:27 May 01, 2022

Omg this story is beautiful! I love the plant reference. This made the story even deeper! I was honestly wanting more! Good job Asia!

Reply

Asia The Writer
03:09 May 01, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Buck Buck
01:48 May 01, 2022

Great Body of work. Would like to read more very interesting ending

Reply

Asia The Writer
01:56 May 01, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jake Luckovitch
01:47 May 01, 2022

Such an amazing story, craving for more.

Reply

Asia The Writer
01:56 May 01, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.