0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

hot. Hot. HOT! Oh my gosh! Am I getting dumped into a pool of water right now? I mean, LAVA! Oh how I wish I was dumped in water right now... School SUCKS! I HAVE OFFICIALLY MADE THAT A FACT! Although it probably was one already...NEVER MIND THAT!

School has got to be like at least 100 degrees outside and INSIDE. It is soo hot at the back of the class it feels like I'm being dumped into the SAHARAH DESERT and I have to stay their for...4 MORE STINKING HOURS.

" It is SO HOT. MY GOODNESS! Can't Mr. Brown turn on the ac?" hisses my bestie, Trisha.

" IKR?!" I whisper yell to her as I shot a glare behind the back of Mr. Brown. He practically looks like his name. He was at least in his 40's with warm brown hair and tanned skin. He always dress the same; plain suit and pants. How formal is that? But, everyday he would change his tie to some weird funcky one.

It was only 9:30 a.m as I saw the clock tick by. Mr. Brown was at the whiteboard going over some boring math techniques that everyone probably knew already.

I WAITED THIRTY MORE BURNING MINUTES UNTIL IT WAS FINALLY RECESS.

" YAYYY!" everyone cheered as Mr. Brown announced it was recess time. Even he was exhausted and would be working on his broken air conditioner. We all hoped that outside would be cooler with the wind.

Well, we were wrong.

Outside was SCORCHING. With the whole sun blasted on us, it was much more definetely hotter then the classroom. Oh and guess my luck.

VERY VERY UNFAIRLY, each class got assigned to ONE part of the playground to play on. How stupid. LAST WEEK, my class got the CORNER OF THE FEILD. Which had nothing but a literal FENCE. IT WAS SO HOT UNDER THE SUN AND THERE WAS NOTHING WE COULD DO ABOUT IT. But. Since it's a new week, we were like hey, a new week no blazing hot sun stomping on our heads! Right? WRONG! Instead we got the MiDdLe Of ThE FeILd! WOW!

Literally nothing to do there. Why must I suffer? It isn't even half the day yet!

" IT IS SO HOT OUT HERE!!!" I complain to Trish while fanning myself with my hands. We were in the middle of the feild like we were supposed to be.

" I WISH I COULD JUST GO HOME, TURN MY FULLY FUNCTIONAL air conditioning and just lay in bed for HOURS!" she yelled back at me.

RRRIIIINNGGGGGGGG rang the bell.

FINALLY!

We all rushed back in as me and Trisha chatted. We drank a big gulp of water before sitting back down. Suddenly we felt a nice cool breeze.

" Hey everyone! I managed to fix the air conditioning!" announced Mr. Brown as he stepped into the class.

Everyone sighed in relief and started chit chatting and making remarks.

" UP AND DOWN!" yelled Mr. Brown's attention caller.

" Left and right," answered the class sorta sneak rolling their eyes.

" Right now, we will be working on our typing skills! So you all may go grab your chromebooks table by table and open up nitrotype and start working." he said.

" YES!" everyone hissed. Playing nitrotype was SO FUN! I couldn't wait to do it.

As I got out of my chair I realized something was missing. I checked my wrist and realized that my special blue and white braided bracelet was gone! My mom gave that to me before she passed away!

" Oh no no no!" I exclaim checking my pockets and the floor.

" What?" asked Trisha.

" My bracelet! I LOST IT!" I reply.

" Oh yikes," she said. " So sorry. I'll help you look?" she offered.

" Thanks Trish," I answered grinning a bit. After ten minutes of searching we found nothing.

" Sorry Nessa. I couldn't find it," said Trisha after ten minutes of searching.

" It's fine," I reply. Yeah. It was totally fine...can't this day end already?

" I mean, I can still play Nitrotype, right?" I say grinning sheepisly.

" Yeah!" replies Trisha, getting her chromebook out. That's what I love most about her. She's always so optimistic.

I hurry and grab my chromebook, opening it and pressing the power button to turn on. Nothing happens.

" Come on," I mutter as I spam my power button. " Turn on."

Yet, nothing still happens.

" Guhhh! I can't believe my chromebook is outta battery!"

I quikcly charge it but by the time it has enough battery, we're done with chromebook time. I groan and slap my forehead.

Also, it's FREEZING ANTARTICA IN HERE. With the ac on, it becomes the complete opposite. I never thought to bring a jacket along with me. Uggh!

FINALLY. It's time to go home. The bell rings so I quickly grab my backpack and rush out. It feels so hot back in the heat I immediately wish I was back in the ac again.

I head outside the gates and wait for my parents to come trough the pick-up line and GET ME OUT OF HERE! But, they don't come. I wait for another 10 MINUTES until I decided to use my phone and call them. Trisha has already left so I was getting bored.

I reach into my backpack and shuffle some things around until I pick out my phone. I turn it on, put in my password, and scroll through my apps to call my dad.

And of course,

Right when I was about to hit the call button, my battery DIES, leaving me in the wind.

" GOSH! UGH!" I exclaim exasperated. After waiting for another ten minutes, I see my dad's car come up so I quickly rush in.

" Dad! What took you so long?!" I ask him, angrily.

" Sorry sweetie, lost track of time," he answered appoligetically from the front seat, turning his head back. His eyes looks so sorry that I decided to let him off the hook.

As my big, white car pulls into my garage, I step out and head into the house.

I feel the nice cool breeze of the ac and I feel so much better. I put down my backpack and shoes, and then get ready to shower.

Later on, I eat dinner and then I get ready for bed.

In my small bed, in my decent room, I think of exactly FIVE words before I doze off and fall asleep.

Finally, the day is over...

June 24, 2021 03:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.