Fate-appointed Crussader

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: Write a story that begins and ends with someone looking up at the stars.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was day, when my life took a new serious, fantastic turn. I had met Margaret about one year ago. We found each other on the Astronomical exhibition. I was an outside observer, and she — a journalist, who came at such event for the first time.

We chatted a bit. As it turned out, she was not familiar with subject and required some sort of assistance. Right at that time, last performance had ended. And… This is how we met.

I showed her beauty of night sky and cosmos in whole. My knowledge and her speech skills granted us slight popularity in town’s scientific journal. For me it was like hobby: working with her, waiting her coffee shop, located right in front of a publishing house.

Soon I have noticed that I could not look at skies like before. In light-blue daylight, I saw her smile. In night sky, filled with stars — shape of her face. Just a reminder of her name could make me bite my lip, and my hands, usually tight, started to shake.

At that day, I decided one thing: the time has come to be clear with my feelings. To be specific, I decided it at that night.  

I drove far away from the town to a very special place. There, no town lights can hide true nature’s beauty. I was driving, sometimes looking right at the passenger seat. It was hard for me to concentrate. Thankfully, this place was not too far away.

One beautiful hill is located here. Usually, couples tries to avoid it: you could not really see the town from here and it was not worth their time. This is exactly why I loved it. It was almost only place around town, where you with your telescope can watch for rare phenomenon.

Yet, one came with me today here.

We were blabbering all time long, looking at well-known constellations. Sometimes, when star was falling from the sky, she smiled. And I, as an idiot, smiled all the time during our camping. I was completely armless. Although, she was not against it, that is for sure.

“Maggie”, — I gently touched her palm and pressed it against telescope. — “I want to show you something”

“Um… Yes, sure”, — she straightened a lock of her hairs and leaned towards monocular. My heart has started racing, while I was trying to handle my jacket. — “Where shall I look?”

“Just one moment!” — I came closer to telescope and zoomed it out just a bit. Margareth frowned, but continued to for something up in the skies. At the same moment, I kneeled down and took one tiny box out of my pockets. — “Here”.

When Maggie realized, that something was blocking her view, she stood up… And started staring at me without any words. Her blushing cheeks were really cute in the light of the moon.

“Margaret. We know each other for so long and I can certainly say… It was not a coincidence”, — I was not thinking about words. They just was flowing through my heart. — “I am astronomer, so do not believe in horoscopes. Even so… I cannot explain why we were destined to meet.”

“L…Ludwig…” — I saw sparkles in her eyes. Her beautiful blue eyes where I saw only true feelings. She was like an opened book, which I have been reading for whole year straight. Yet, I could never really stop.

“You always say, that you can’t be my Sun…” — I opened the box. Surely, it was not impressive ring. This one was made out of silver and enchased with simple ruby. Nevertheless, it was enough to make Maggie blush even more. She was so beautiful at those moments.. — “But I was never chasing the Sun. One white Dwarf is fine with me”

I knew she would pout. Without wasting any time, I leaned towards her.

After two weeks, we had a marriage. Soon, somewhere around year and a half, I have become father.

My beautiful daughter — Agnes. Her face, without a doubt, had resemblance with mother’s. However, her eyes… Despite being blue, they were caring my energy.

Wait… She is just kid, what am I thinking about?

As the time was going, she was growing. One year, two… Her first steps, first words. Even after stressed day at work, her hugs could bring me back, even from the grave. Agnes… was my second Star, which could warm me better, than real ones.

Bailshmidt family was peaceful, and there I thought nothing could ruin it. I had my family, my house and job. Was there anything else I could possibly dream about?

As it turned out, there was. However, I was swallowed by my reality. One thing left out of my sight: danger, crawling from the very, very long past.  

Firstly, I broke printer in office. Sadly, it was not some kind of internal malfunction: I literally left a dent on it. Therefore, I had to pay for it and left unpaid.

Secondly, my… Relatives decided to come in.

My brother, Gilbert, was the first. Dunce and lazy-man, he worked only when there was some kind of time-pressure. Of course, he did not warned me about his arrival beforehand, coming unannounced, with a little luggage.

Then, Roderich came alone.  To be very honest, I never considered him… Relative. There was some family issues, surrounding him. He was illegitimate child, so it was hard for me to call him brother. Gill and I had relations warmer than that.

“Listen, Ludwig, it is important.” — once we gathered to drink a cup of tea, Roderich started talking. I wanted to tell them, that I have some important stuff to deal with, but he got over my initiative. After, he dropped file with lots of photos. I recognized some of them: It is Moscow. Kremlin. Where does he lead? — “We found a crackle in the barrier. It is breaking down slowly. Here — cause of it.”

“Barrier? Oh, gosh, do not tell me, you are talking about grandpa’s tales”, — I laughed and turned away. Yea, sure, why not? That was stories, which I heard, when I was five. Now I am too matured and independent to believe in vampires or magic. Sure, sometimes I read fantastic stories, but that is just hobby.

“Come on, bro. It is truth. Just think. Didn’t ya have something odd happen around? Like, sudden power demonstration?” — Gill sat next to me and pointed his finger at me. At this moment, I was literally shocked for a second, remembering printer occasion. I saw myself from outside, breaking it. — “See, something did happen!”

“Barrier is breaking. Powers are returning. Our connection to it…” — I interrupted Roderich by lifting my index finger up.

“Even so, what is the deal with bringing me?”

“That is our mission. Our fate!” — Roderich hit the table with his fist. — “We must stop this, until it is too late”

I closed my eyes. Is it true? Do they really believe such a story? I still had memories of it. Stories, which my grandpa told me by the fireplace. Stories about heroes, who saved world by sacrificing their most beloved things.

Right now, this choice passed to me.

I looked at the door. Maggie was playing with Agnes, throwing tennis ball back and forth. Agnes was fast, as rabbit. Her little steps were heard even there. It was the picture I wanted to see.

 “Sorry, guys. I guess, I am passing on this one. My destiny is right here, playing game of catch”, — Roderich clenched his teeth; Gill smiled. — “I appreciate your trust, but… You can find someone better, then me”

“It’s Bail..!” — Gilbert interrupted Roderich’s speech. Here, I though, this story ends.

Little did I know that will be my last night at home.

I have awaken when heard Agnes's screams, rushing towards her room afterwards. I simply could not believe my own eyes…

My brothers were standing alongside her bed. Their faces, for the first time in my whole lifetime, were caring expression of fear.

I was panicking, but came closer and saw…

Her face, covered in sweat and tears. However, something else grabbed my attention: something dark, crawling on her back.

“We are matured people and can control our powers. She is… just a kid” — Roderich’s words wounded me harder than any weapon could. I just could not believe this.  

Only my inner strength kept me from falling into tears. I knew, if I would start crying, whole house will be awakened. And if I will cry silently, I will definitely seal her fate. There was only one thing I could do.

Sit silently at the edge, watching her in the moonlight.

I asked brothers to leave for the time being. After that, I opened windows, letting cold night wind to take over the room. There will be too many things I will miss, if I leave. Her school enrollment. Maybe even her graduation. I do not even have a guarantee I will ever come back.

It will be a long way through Eastern Europe. After we must find the crackle and close it. Just how much time we have to spare?

“Honey…” — I straightened her hairs and carefully took Agnes in my arms. The sky was blurry, covered with fog. There were only five shining stars in it that could be seen clearly. — “Look. Do you see stars?”

She nodded, trying to pull closer to me. I kept hugging her, despite the fact that my hands were shaking. My heart stopped completely and shrunk. I were clueless. What words shall I say to make it easier for both of us? Moreover, did I even make such a decision? I guess, I had no choice really..

“Wherever I go, I will see same stars as you do, sunshine”, — I smiled. Smiled, so I would not cry in front of her. To make things little bit easier. — “And… I will comeback”

“You promise?” — She kneeled back and looked right into my eyes. I remained speechless, hugging her even harder, than before.

She cooled down a bit. I was sitting nearby, singing the lullaby. That one was about crusaders, who are fighting their own fate. About strong men, carried until the very end by the power of sun.

When Agnes fell asleep, Maggie stoop up. Brothers have already told her some main things. Just as with daughter, I could not look her into eyes. She, however, did not want either. Instead, she leaned to me, dropping single tears on my night suit. Just like in old times, when a man was leaving onto the war.

Although, it does look like it.

We left right at that night. We had train to Berlin at 6 am, where our journey truly begins.

For the last time I looked at the skies. They were empty — only one star was shining somewhere in the distance. The Leading Star, which will definitely carry me back home. Whatever awaits me in the future, I am ready. Because I promised to come back. Deal with any problem and come back for her!

Agnes… Maggie… It does not matter, what danger awaits me. I will be victorious.


May 01, 2020 10:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.