0 comments

Romance Friendship Coming of Age

Segment one, 50% done.


I was walking down the college corridors and suddenly a boy blocked my way.


I smiled playfully, then I tried to go through him. He won't let me. "Hi. I'm Charlotte." I said, holding my hand out, I was quite a bold girl. The boy replied, "Hello Charlotte, I'm James." His voice was thick with a French accent.


"Es-tu français James?," I asked, he smiled, "Je m'appelle mademoiselle, comment peux-tu parler français si couramment?" I said, "I take lessons, James."


And from there, we always went to class together and became good friends.


Two semesters into our friendship, he fell ill. He contacted his parents but he couldn't go home, for it wasn't the holidays and the university didn't allow home visits, and they don't allow exceptions.


I kept by his side, always. I visited every class break and brought him food from the cafeteria. And I played his favourite songs with my guitar. I slept in the chair beside his bed and helped him to do whatever he wanted.


His favourite song was, "L'amour, Les Baguettes, Paris" and I never got bored singing that song over and over again for him.


When he finally got better, I finally left him for short periods. But he kept texting me to come. So I came.


He took a month to get fully cured and we were finally able to go to class again. I was beyond happy and he kept thanking me over and over again for helping him recover.


We made a promise to never leave each other and we kept to that promise.


One day, he approached me, with pink cheeks then he took both of my hands in his, "Charlotte, can we talk?" I nodded, "Let's go somewhere private," I said. We walked over to the university's back garden, and people catcalled us as we walked past them, they thought we were dating 'cause we appeared like we were so close.


We sat on the grass and he looked at me with those brown eyes, his matching brown hair blowing in the autumn breeze, "Charlotte, can I tell you a secret?"


I was curious, "Yes. You know you can trust me, James." And I punched him softly in the arm and he chuckled, "I-" He looked down, as if ashamed, "I love you, Charlotte." Then he stood up and turned away from me, burying his head in his hands. 


I followed suit and put a hand on his shoulder, but I felt so emotional, so I hugged him from the back. He was silent and shaking. Is he crying? I went around him and asked him, "James, are you good?"


He looked up at me, his face tear-stained, "I feel so guilty loving you, Charlotte, especially since we've been friends for so long. It feels so wrong." I replied, "What? Why do you even think " I smiled at him brightly, "James, can I tell you something?"


He nodded, and then I said, "I like you too, James." His sad face turned surprised, "You do?" His voice was melancholy and sentimental.


I nodded firmly, "I do." Then I embraced him, and he gave me a hug back. When we pulled out, I said, "James, I want our friendship to turn into a relationship, but I want a healthy, clean, and innocent relationship."


James chuckled, "Charlotte, I'll make sure you are safe and sound, and I hope my love'll be enough for you.''


We embraced again, and as the bell rang, we went to our classroom hand in hand.


James was grasping my hand and occasionally squeezing it tightly until I had to let go of his hand.


The professor suddenly called James' name, "Mr. Watson, come up here." James looked confused, "Yes?" And he pulled me along with him as he walked up to the podium.


The professor asked James, "Mr. Watson, do you think such behaviour in class is appropriate?" James appeared puzzled, "What behaviour, professor?" Professor Abraham looked pointedly at me, "Treating your girlfriend like that in class."


James answered, "Treating her how?" Professor Abraham chuckled, "Please don't try and touch her in class, especially without her consent." I blushed and James gulped, "I'm sorry, professor, I won't do it again." Professor Abraham nodded and waved us to our seats.


When we were snuggled in our seats again, James' hand shot up, "Professor?" Professor Abraham pointed to him, "A question, Watson?" James nodded, "You are actually wrong, Professor." The students gasped, no one had ever been brave enough to contradict Professor Abraham's words.


The professor lifted his eyebrows, "In what part am I wrong, Mr. Watson?" James replied, "You said Charlotte was my girlfriend professor. You're wrong, she's my future wife." The class laughed.


The professor chuckled, "Whatever it is, Mr. Watson, she's still your partner. And I don't care what partner she is to you. For all I know, she can be your partner in crime, partner in love, partner at school or partner at home." The whole class went quiet as I shot a curious glance at James. 


James replied confidently, "Yes professor." And Professor Abraham continued.


After school, James asked me out to the movies and I readily agreed. We went in his car, and we held hands and talked about our future the whole way to the cinema.


We arrived and purchased some tickets. As we walked by the popcorn stand, I asked him, "Jamie, can we get some popcorn?" He nodded, but as I took out my wallet, he said, "No, Charlotte, don't even think of it. It's all on me."


And at that moment I realised my partner was not only a kind man but he's also wealthy and, thank god, healthy. I texted my parents about him that night, and they allowed me to be in a clean relationship with him and I was relieved.


My parents knew that I had a friend who's a boy, and they already know his personality, because my parents had met James once, when they came to university to check on me. So of course, they let me have a relationship with him, because they knew what an amazing guy he is. In fact, I feel like he loves me like my Father loves my Mum.


We loved being in each other's company and he'd take me on dates every weekend, to the beach, to the movies, the mall, the museum, and he even scheduled a video call with his parents, to introduce me to them.


It was all just like the old times, except now, our feelings for each other are blossoming from buds to red roses.


He had introduced me to his parents and his Mum pronounced me a "lovely young lady," and I was glad his parents gave us permission to ''date''. Though I didn't feel like we were, he was that good of a friend already.


We ''dated'' for three years, though we had a time when we had to separate, that was when he went to Paris because he already graduated. Now, he has lodgings a few miles from my campus and we meet up every day in front of the McDonalds on Block M.


One day, he asked me if I wanted to go to Paris with him for the holidays and spent some time with his family. He told me he could get to know the more and he would be so happy to bring me on ''dates'' in the country of love and caring: Paris.


I said that I would love to go, but I will have to ask my parents first. I called them that night and they agreed, they knew my boyfriend was such an amazing man.


The next morning we met in front of the Mcdonalds and he greeted me with a kiss on the cheek, we had never kissed on the lips before because we reckoned it would be too intimate, even though we've been together for more than two years, and a warm embrace, and I told him the good news.


I had no idea what was gonna happen in Paris. 


We flew to Paris two weeks after that, and we entered his mansion. He had told his parents that he wanted a room for me, but only if the room was right beside his.


We had never slept together because we had made the decision that we'll only sleep in one bed if we are already legally made husband and wife. Before that, no.


I was excited for the late-night adventures around his mansion that was complete with a big swimming pool, a game room, a movie room that was the size of a small cinema, and elevator to go between the floor, he also had a conservatory on the rooftop and he also had an indoor slide that went from the fifth floor all the way down to the second floor. It was like we were kids again.


One night, he invited me along with his family to eat at a famous French restaurant, Au Pied de Cochon was the name, and since I knew how to speak French because I took lessons, and my partner was French, and he taught me a lot.


I ordered my food in perfect French, and he beamed at me proudly. I smiled back and I had a jolly time having dinner with his family.


In the middle of the meal, my Mum suddenly put her hands on my shoulders and said, "Hello daughter." I was so shocked to see that James had invited my parents to Paris and paid for all their costs too.


After that he brought all of us to see the Eiffel Tower standing tall in the starry night sky. We were enjoying the view in silent awe, when he suddenly knelt in front of me.


I put my hands to my mouth and he pulled out a small box. He opened the box and displayed a dark forest green diamond ring. He knew my favourite colour was green.


Tears of happiness flowed down my face. "Charlotte, you're the best. I knew from the moment I met you, you're the one. Will you accept me as your forever partner in life and marry me?"


I answered without a doubt, "Yes!! Jamie, yes!!" He slipped the ring on my finger and he kissed my lips for the very first time since the day we met.

November 25, 2023 09:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.