2 comments

Fiction Drama Western

Lost in his chain of thoughts, Ron missed his station. The metro stopped at the next station when he realized that he missed his stop. Ron was pondering on and projecting the time ahead. 

'Hey, champ! your phone,' Said one of the passengers while handing Ron his mobile phone that he dropped. He was unaware of it while lost in his thoughts. 

'Thank you, Sir.' Ron expressed gratitude.

'Seems like you are in some deep trouble, Champ!'

'No. What draws you to that conclusion?'

'Your face is saddened, and your eyes are drowning in sorrow. It seems that something is troubling you.'

'Oh! I missed my stop. That is why you might see some shades of sorrow on my face,' said Ron.

'No, you do not seem to remember me. I am your high school basketball coach,' said that old man with a smile on his face.

'Oh my god! Mr. Samuel. How are you?'

'I am good.'

'It's been decades. Last time we met at the reunion.'

'Yes. Your start-up had the largest ever IPO that day.'

'After that, the journey was quite challenging.'

'Yes, the grey hair speaks a volume about that journey,' said Mr. Samuels pointing to the grey hairs.

'I am expanding overseas next week. I needed time to think and this is the best place that helps me to think very clearly. I missed my stop in that thought-process. I asked my driver to wait at that stop. Luck helped me meet you. I am glad that we meet.'

'I thought so. Your eyes never lie.'

'I have texted my driver. Let us have dinner. Catch up on the old memories and your wisdom never fails,' suggested Mr.Samuels.

'Today might be not possible. Some another time.'

'Okay, Does Saturday suit you?' asked Ron

'Yeah. But I have gone vegan and Salad is the only thing that I can eat.'

'Definitely.' 

They exchanged the contact number. Ron departed, and Mr. Samuels continued his journey. 

Saturday arrived, and Ron sent a limo for his high school coach. Mr. Samuels arrived at the restaurant. Ron booked the entire restaurant to celebrate the impromptu high school reunion. 

The party was going great. Everyone arrived in time as they were enjoying the revisit to the memory of their high school. Ron was welcoming everyone with a cheerful heart and a brimming smile. There were two occasions to celebrate that night, one was the reunion, and the other was the launch of his overseas business. 

The start-up was going well, and now it was going to be an MNC. Mr. Samuels arrived in the limo sent by Ron. They welcomed Mr. Samuels with their basketball slogan that they recited before every basketball match. The environment was charged with raw energy and cheer. All of them enjoyed the party, but a phone call from Ron's secretary ruined his mood. 

There was something wrong, and Ron's face failed to hide that. He bid adieu to all of his schoolmates and Mr. Samuels. Ron went directly to his office from the party after receiving the phone call. After one hour, the party was over. Everyone returned to their home. 

The news on the phone call that Ron received was not so much cheerful. The two nations that Ron elected to go multinational were skeptical of Ron's company. The government officials of that country decided to delay the permission. 

To operate in those nations, Ron would need permission. The big IPO was about to happen in those nations. It would easily fetch billions of dollars to Ron. He had invested a fair share of his fortune for the tag of the multinational company. But this sudden halt will hinder the progress of Ron's company.

After going through every option available and even considering bribing, the government officials were not budging. There was no ray of hope visible at the horizon. If the permissions do not come through in time, Ron will go bankrupt.

After 24 hours of continuous phone calls and meetings, Ron discovered that his competition fed millions of dollars to those government officials. To avoid competition from entering the market, Ron's competitor had made every move to halt Ron's journey.  

Everything became clear to run as deep research opened all the secret doors. He can bribe them more but the financial constraints along with the time limit might hinder the progress of Ron’s company. The IPO was next week, and if the permission didn’t come through, he would have to sell all office shares to remain afloat. The competition has preplanned this move.

After considering suicide, he climbed to the roof. He was about to jump, but he could not gather the courage. He chose seclusion from this greedy world, and he decided to spend his rest of the life in the jungle away from the masses. 

He began his journey to the jungle by placing all these electronic devices on the table office. He did not inform anyone, and he began the journey on foot to the jungle. It was quite far, and that seclusion will give him peace.

 After walking 10 miles, he reached the border of the jungle. The entire area was covered with snow, and there was not a clue of life visible anywhere. In the jungle, there was only barren whiteness and the killing silence. He started walking into the jungle and decided to spend the night beneath a tree. 

'Ron,' a loud voice killed the deadly silence. That voice was familiar, but the place from where it was coming was not quite visible.  

'Over here, Ron.'

Ron followed the direction of the voice and saw a wooden cabin and a familiar face.

'What are you doing here, sir?'

'I was about to ask you the same.'

'I quit the race. Going into seclusion.'

'Like you can.'

'I lost it all,' saying that Ron started crying and told all the recent unfortunate events.

Mr. Samuels took Ron to the cabin that was amidst the jungle. The cabin had no electricity, internet, or phone service. 

Ron spends a week in that cabin without any contact with the outside world. 

Meanwhile, Mr. Samuel dwelled deep into the troubles of Ron. He initiated his methodical approach to solve the problem. Mr. Samuel was born with a silver spoon, and not everyone knew about that. He had three islands, and the jungle that Ron was living in also belonged to Mr. Samuel. His upbringing was such that he never let anyone know about his fortune. 

A humble man with billions in banks, he used his contact and somehow managed to bend the government officials with millions and some influence. 

The IPO went well. The only thing missing was Ron. Ron found peace and clarity in that cabin. 

With the help of Mr. Samuels's guidance and contacts, he was now ready to be present in 54 countries. The only thing that Mr. Samuels demanded in return for that favor was 30% of Ron's profits to the charity in the third world nation and a week inside the cabin for every year. 

Ron found a mentor and a guru in the form of Mr. Samuels and that too by missing a stop on a metro. 

January 20, 2021 14:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

George Davis
12:52 Jan 31, 2021

Good thought. A lot of repetition in word structure. May I suggest, Hbr you invest in a a grammar helper, i.e., Grammarly, Whitesmoke they have helped me over the years, especially Whitesmoke. The cost is a forever cost with WS. I believe Grammarly is a yearly fee. I hope this has helped you, Hbr.

Reply

HBR Patel
06:41 Feb 01, 2021

Thank you for your guidance, Mr. George Davis. will try to use the service. However, did you like the flow of the story or are there any suggestions?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.