11 comments

General


It’s not a well-kept secret that the bodega on my corner has the best damned coffee around. You can keep your Starbucks and Dunkin’! This cup of joe is great whether you take it black or with milk and sugar, and it’s always piping hot. Depending on how my morning is going determines how I take it.

This particular day is not going so well. I work from home editing and proofreading mostly garbage, but since it pays the bills, usually I don’t complain too much. I’ve been working on this long manuscript by some professor who thinks it’s his magnum opus, but it’s so damned tedious, only someone who’s getting paid would read it.

Anyway, I’m craving my cup of liquid heaven from Edgar’s, so I throw on my coat and sunglasses and go down the stoop. I once knew every person who lived in every house on my block. Many of my friends lived here, and we played stickball in the street and every other kind of game. Now I know only two people, and I kind of like it that way.

I go past the house next door where Koreans live, and they always wear these surgical masks. I know people are doing that now because of all this coronavirus crap going around, but they have been wearing them for years. The next house is where my best friend Jimmy Murphy used to live. Now Manny lives there, and he has a Mexican flag hanging from one pole and an American flag on another.

As I walk up to the store, I take in all the stuff Edgar has in his windows: a Puerto Rican flag, a big statue of the Virgin Mary, an illuminated Budweiser sign, posters of cigarettes on sale, a Boars Head sign, an ATM sign, and pictures of food like bread, cheese, and eggs. Above the door a big sign reads: Edgar’s Deli-Market.

I have been living in this Brooklyn neighborhood my whole life. When I was a kid, Edgar’s was a German deli owned by a chubby guy named Fritz. My Mom and I would go there, and we’d get cold cuts like ham, bologna, and liverwurst. She’d buy potato and macaroni salad and coleslaw. The place smelled good, like someone was always cooking in the back.

After old Fritz died, his son sold the place to an Italian guy named Gino, but he never changed the sign that said Fritz’s Delicatessen, so people didn’t know that the food quality had deteriorated until they went in and bought something. The place didn’t smell good because Gino didn’t do any cooking; he had the food brought in from someplace. Mom and I had to take the bus down Myrtle Avenue to the nearest German deli.

After I came back from college, the deli was closed and boarded up. I had a car, so I could drive Mom to the other deli, but then it closed as the neighborhood changed. No more German deli food for us.

When I started working in Manhattan, I’d come down the block from the M train to go home, and one day I saw this guy I knew from high school sweeping out the old deli.

I said, “Hey, Ed, what you doing, man?”

“I just bought this place,” he said.

And so, Edgar’s bodega was born. Now, as I stand here all these years later, I can’t believe how much Edgar’s place means to me and all the people in the neighborhood. A few years back they built a big chain grocery store a few blocks away, but I would never go there. Edgar’s bodega is not just a place to get great coffee – it’s like a second home.

I go inside and the bell rings on the door. Edgar’s putting something in a paper bag for a customer, but he looks up and says, “Hey, Vinny!”

“Hey, Ed!” I say. In the back, where old Fritz used to have racks of hanging sausages and meats, Edgar put in tables and chairs. Now there’s someplace to sit and eat instead of having to walk outside and eat on the go.

I see old Manny sitting at one of the tables. Manny, as usual, is dressed in Dodger’s attire from head to toe – he had those sneakers custom made. Manny moved onto the block around the time when Edgar opened his store, and he and I butt heads as Dodger and Met fans normally do, but we’re otherwise friendly.

At another table is George McBride, who’s like the size of the Hulk next to little Manny. He lives in what had been my old friend Gabe Keller’s house next door to Manny. George is retired from the NYPD, and he sits around in Edgar’s a lot more than he should, but when his wife Florida starts calling his cellphone, George knows it’s time to go.

I go up to the counter, and Edgar is already pouring my coffee. “Hey, how’s it going today?” he asks, just like he always does.

“I’ll be doing fine as soon as I get that drink,” I say.

“Black or not?” he asks.

“Black!” I say, still shivering from being outside.

“It’s gonna be that kind of day then.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

Edgar doesn’t worry about that venti or grande crap; he offers either a big or small cup. He knows I always want the big one, and then he puts the cover on it and hands me a few napkins. I drop two bucks on the counter and glance at the lottery machine. There are huge jackpots for Mega Millions and Powerball.

“You never play, Vinny. Why don’t you give it a shot?”

I lean forward and whisper, “Because that two bucks will mean I have to go a day without my coffee.”

Edgar hands me back my two dollars and says, “Play a game on me.”

Now I’m in a quandary. What the hell do I do? I feel bad about taking the money, but I could insult him if I don’t, and what do I do if, by some odd chance, I win – I have never won anything in my life, not even a game of poker played with matchsticks – and then have to do the right thing and split it with Ed?

I take a Powerball card because the jackpot is $50 million more than Mega Millions. I move aside for another customer. I have no idea what the hell numbers to pick. I look at Manny; he’s wearing Jackie Robinson’s jersey. I fill in number 42. The jacket hanging on his chair has 1 on it for Pee Wee Reese, so I scratch in that number. I live at 56-35, so I have two more numbers. The date is February 29 – it has to be lucky because it is Leap Year Day, right? My last number?

I look up at Edgar who’s wrapping a sandwich for a customer. “Give me a Powerball number, Ed.”

Without the slightest hesitation he says, “43!”

I scratch it in, and I’m all set. After the customer leaves, I give Edgar the card and ask, “So, why that number?”

As he slips my card into the machine he says, “I turned 43 today!”

Bingo! Being Leap Year Day and Edgar’s birthday, I’m going to win! I can just feel it. As he hands me the card and my ticket I say, “Thanks for the game, and Happy Birthday!”

“Thanks, man. If you win the jackpot,” he says, and I’m thinking he’s going to say that we go 50-50, “you’ve got to be on TV right in my store to accept the check. Deal?”

I nod and smile. “Deal! Thanks again.”  

Other customers are coming in, so I go sit at the table next to Manny, who is reading the NY Post while eating an egg sandwich and drinking coffee. George tips his NYPD cap and says, “How you doin’, Vinny?”

I hold up my lottery ticket and coffee cup. “I’m doing pretty good right now.”

“Mathematically speaking,” Manny says without looking away from the newspaper, “your chances of winning are zero.”

“Hey, give the kid a break,” George says.

Kid? I think. Like Edgar, I am turning 43 this year, so I’m not really a kid, but I guess compared to George and Manny I could be. People tell me I look younger than my age – maybe it’s my beard and long hair and the fact that I haven’t started to go gray yet.

“Manny takes a bite of his sandwich, and then as he chews it, he asks, “George, isn’t your wife named after the TV character Florida?”

“Here we go,” I say, because this always starts something between them.

George puts his big hand up in the air. “No, Vinny, I’m not going to let him get under my skin.”

I unzip my coat because I’m starting to sweat. Manny is unusually quiet, still holding his newspaper with both hands.

“Manny,” George says softly, “my wife was born almost a decade before Good Times was even on the air, so you know she’s not named for the character.”

“You should try getting your facts straight,” Manny says, like almost whispering. “The character of Florida originally appeared on the show Maude in 1972, and then got her own series two years later due to her popularity.”

“Is that true, Vinny?” George asks.

I lean back, sip my heavenly drink, and say, “I wasn’t even born then, so I don’t know anything about either show.”

“Well, never mind then,” George says with a wave of his hand. “I just wonder about a man who’s always wearing Dodgers stuff while living in Brooklyn, and they’re out in LA.”

Manny folds his paper, places it on his lap, and takes a deep breath. “On the sacred date of October 4, 1955, I was with my Papi and my brother Raul. We were in a crowd of 62,465 people who got to see them defeat the Yankees and win the World Series. I was only ten years old but felt ten feet tall!”

“But those Dodgers left you and all of Brooklyn two years later,” George says. “They left you in the dust, man!”

Manny sips his coffee and stares quietly ahead at the freezer with the ice cream and the refrigerator with the beer and soda. People in the aisles stop while putting bread or cookies in their baskets, and they wait to hear what Manny is going to say.

“Anyone who ever lived through that moment,” Manny says, controlling himself as best as he can, “will tell you that there was never anything like it before or since.”

Old Jim Ryan, who is wearing a Mets cap and slipping a big can of peaches into his basket, nods his head. He’s one of the few people around here whom I knew when growing up. “Hey, Manny’s right. We were over the moon. I got drunk for three days; woke up on a bench in Prospect Park with a bump on my head and a smile on my face.”

“Yes, Mr. Ryan,” Manny says shaking a pointed finger at the man, “you’re one of the few who still remember.”

George points at the man and says, “But even he’s wearing a Mets cap!”

Ryan turns to get away from the situation and waves his hand as he walks down the aisle. “Have a good day, fellas!”

I sip my coffee again and remember I have to get back to my work, but I’ll wait a few more minutes to see what Manny and George have to say.

Manny leans toward me and asks, “You’re a Mets fan, right?”

Now, of course, this is a rhetorical question meant to stoke a three-way argument of some kind, but I’m not up for it. “Yeah, I am, but…”

“But you know how the Mets were born from the blue blood of the Dodgers and the orange blood of the Giants. You know there would be no Mets without us, right?”

In the past, I’ve pushed back on this one but, like Robert Frost, I’ve got miles to go before I can sleep, so I say, “Yeah, you’re right, Manny.”

Manny nods his head and then looks at me. “You just said I’m right!”

I have my lottery ticket and my coffee; I’m not letting anything ruin my day. “Yep, you’re right, Manny.”

George’s phone starts buzzing and he moans, “Oh-oh!”

Manny claps his hands. “Now the queen bee is looking for her drone.”

George struggles to get the phone out of his pocket, and by the time he does the call has gone to voicemail. “Oh, boy, oh boy,” George says, “I’m going to get going.” George gets up slowly.

I say, “Take it easy, George!”

“Say ‘Hi’ to Flo for me, Georgie Porgie,” Manny says with a laugh.

“You’ll get yours, Manny,” George says before he turns and heads for the door.

“You guys are too much,” I say.

“Ah, it’s all in good fun,” Manny says. “Hey, how is your mother, Vinny?”

“She’s doing okay,” I say, but that’s not really true. Ever since my Dad died, Mom hasn’t been herself. I push her to go visit my little brother Frankie and his wife in Queens. I drive her there once a week, and she stays overnight. At least she gets to see the kids, but she is mostly sad all the time.

“Tough thing that happened with your Dad,” Manny says.

I close my eyes and think about how he died on the job six years ago doing something he loved. It was a bad fire, but he’d been through so many bad fires and even 9-11. He almost had his 20 years done. He almost bought a beach house in Breezy Point. He almost took Mom on that trip to Europe they were always talking about. Almost is a damn ugly word.

Once Manny finishes his breakfast, he says, “You want the paper?”

I haven’t read a newspaper in years, so I take it just for the hell of it. Manny puts on his blue jacket with Pee Wee’s number on it and points to it. “Pee Wee was my hero because he stuck up for Jackie. He was a little guy like me, but a giant man.”

We start walking for the door, and Edgar’s helping someone, so I hold up the ticket and say, “Thanks, man.”

“Good luck, Vinny!”

I go outside, put the paper under my arm, and my coffee on the window shelf as I zip my coat as the brisk wind hits me hard. Manny looks at me and says, “I’ve got to go to the bank.”

“Take care, Manny,” I say.

Even in the cold a group of younger guys are standing outside of Manny’s talking and drinking tall cans of beer. A couple of older guys are huddled under the awning having a smoke. Edgar even put in bike racks for the kids in the public school down the block, and their bikes are chained to them.

The streets of this small corner of Brooklyn all seem to converge here at Edgar’s place; it’s the heart and soul of the area. Everyone used to say the big grocery store chain was going to put Edgar out of business, but it never happened. Edgar’s has something that a big place like that will never have: loyal and faithful customers, and we all know that he cares about us. Even the big grocer’s employees run down four blocks on their breaks to get that coffee and a snack.

I put the lottery ticket in my top coat pocket and tap it twice for good luck. I head home to check on Mom in the downstairs apartment, and then I’ll go back upstairs to reheat my coffee and get back to work on professor dumbass’s manuscript.

**

I wake up the next morning feeling more exhausted than yesterday. I was up late editing and then opened some popcorn, watched Netflix, and drank too many Heinekens to count – I can check the recycling bin, but I’m too lazy.

I lay there thinking about how even though I hate editing, I hated Wall Street more. I quit my job the year after Dad died, and now my commute is from my bed to the desk. It was the worst best move I could have ever made.

Mom asks me sometimes about finding a girl. Mom, I’m in my forties, so stop saying ‘girl’ because it sounds so freaking weird. I went out with Emily for five years, and I loved her, and I thought she loved me, but when I quit my job, Emily quit us. I guess that tells you something right there. I go down to Dugan’s Bar on Friday nights, but I’m not looking to meet anyone. I haven’t been on a date since Emily, so my prospects aren’t looking so good.

I struggle to get up, go to the bathroom, and stand and watch myself in the mirror while I pee. I wonder why they put a mirror over a toilet bowl, but it’s like that down in Mom’s apartment too – the place where I grew up. When our long-time tenant Mr. Russo died, I moved my stuff upstairs. Mom needed her space, and so did I.

**

As I walk to the bodega, I think Edgar’s secret is the beans, but he won’t say where he gets them. I once saw them in a burlap bag behind the counter, but he had covered up the label. Clever man, that Edgar.

I go in and see Manny and George at their tables, and I put the ticket in the scanner. “Not a winner” flashes. I look at Edgar. “The story of my life.”

Edgar hands me my coffee. “Maybe next time.”

“Yeah, maybe,” I say and head back to sit with the guys and start another day.

March 04, 2020 15:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Clara Wilde
21:24 Mar 25, 2020

I came here from your latest story. Again, I love the descriptions you give; reading feels comfortable and cozy with you. Question: are these stories based on real-life, or do you just have a running theme with all the same characters?

Reply

Victor Lana
13:47 Mar 28, 2020

Some of the characters are based on real life. The names are changed to protect the guilty.

Reply

Corey Blown
11:45 May 18, 2022

I am very happy to share this great testimony with you, The best thing that has ever happened in my life is the day I met Dr Benjamin online. I am a man who believes that one day I will win a lottery. Finally my dreams came through after I came across series of testimonies about how Dr Benjamin had helped a lot of people win mega lottery, so I contacted him and told him that I needed lottery numbers. He assured me that he's going to make me win but at first I doubted him because I have tried severally on my own but to no avail, after I've d...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
R. L. Waterman
07:24 Mar 12, 2020

I love the way you've built the world here, with the different characters and the setting. I feel like I can imagine it, despite never having been there. The little insights into Vinny's life were really nice as well. I wondered if you'd let us know if he won the lottery or not, I think you could have finished it either way, with us left to imagine that outcome, or providing it as you did. Great story!

Reply

Victor Lana
14:01 Mar 12, 2020

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate your taking the time to read my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Morrison
17:31 Apr 29, 2023

READ MY REVIEW HOW I WIN $158m CONTACT DR KACHI NOW FOR YOUR OWN LOTTERY WINNING NUMBERS. I was a gas station truck driver and I always playing the SUPER LOTTO GAME, I’m here to express my gratitude for the wonderful thing that Dr Kachi did for me, Have anybody hear of the professional great spell caster who help people to win Lottery and clear all your debt and buy yourself a home and also have a comfortable life living. Dr Kachi Lottery spell casting is wonders and works very fast. He helped me with lucky numbers to win a big money that c...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Morrison
17:31 Apr 29, 2023

READ MY REVIEW HOW I WIN $158m CONTACT DR KACHI NOW FOR YOUR OWN LOTTERY WINNING NUMBERS. I was a gas station truck driver and I always playing the SUPER LOTTO GAME, I’m here to express my gratitude for the wonderful thing that Dr Kachi did for me, Have anybody hear of the professional great spell caster who help people to win Lottery and clear all your debt and buy yourself a home and also have a comfortable life living. Dr Kachi Lottery spell casting is wonders and works very fast. He helped me with lucky numbers to win a big money that c...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Morrison
17:31 Apr 29, 2023

READ MY REVIEW HOW I WIN $158m CONTACT DR KACHI NOW FOR YOUR OWN LOTTERY WINNING NUMBERS. I was a gas station truck driver and I always playing the SUPER LOTTO GAME, I’m here to express my gratitude for the wonderful thing that Dr Kachi did for me, Have anybody hear of the professional great spell caster who help people to win Lottery and clear all your debt and buy yourself a home and also have a comfortable life living. Dr Kachi Lottery spell casting is wonders and works very fast. He helped me with lucky numbers to win a big money that c...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crypto Coinintel
01:44 Nov 25, 2022

ASOREHACKCORP is a financial regulator, private investigation and funds recovery body. We specialize in cases as regards ETHICAL HACKING, CRYPTOCURRENCY, FAKE INVESTMENT SCHEMES and RECOVERY SCAM. We are also experts in CREDIT REPAIR, we analyze what’s impacting your score. All software tools needed to execute RECOVERIES from start to finish are available in stock and NO UPFRONT FEE is required. Kindly NOTE that the available tools does NOT apply to CREDIT FIX. Be ALERT to FALSE reviews and testimonies on the internet, the authors and perp...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathy Owen
22:30 Jul 07, 2022

I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Doctor Olu brought back my husband that separated with me for good 3 months. Even though I have mouths all over my body, it won't be enough to thank Doctor Olu for his help in my life. My husband separated with me for 3 months and has been in pain and agony without him. So, I searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out not until I meant Doctor Olu who I contacted online. I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 72 hours so that my heart ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Corey Blown
11:45 May 18, 2022

Contact Dr Benjamin today and win mega million lottery as he had done for me, he helped me win $122 million contact him via his email drbenjaminlottospell711@gmail.com

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.