0 comments

Mystery

It's a tale as old as time itself; Stay away from the woods or you will never return. Both the parents of Rome and Constantine warned them nearly every day of the threat posed by the woods near the edge of town so being obedient boys, they never strayed away from their safe streets and houses. Every day the two boys studied in class, went home, ate with their families then laid their heads to rest.

On a day like any other, Sparta had showed up to town. Sparta was an old soldier from the days when the town was not perfect. His face showed the marks of a hardened warrior and his eyes were transfixed on something so far away- or maybe just close enough to grasp. Nobody in town could meet the gaze of Sparta as he struck fear into the hearts of the peace loving townspeople.

While Sparta attempted to reconnect, unsuccessfully with his kinsmen, Rome and Constantine made their way to school. Today they were to learn and reinforce their mathematics skills. Constantine was a gifted mathematician but Rome had a more realistic grasp on the use of mathematics in day to day application so together they made an excellent team. While going over the multiples of six, they turned a corner and bumped into the disheartened Sparta.

The warrior appeared angered initially but his distant eyes changed when he recognized the intimidated boys attempting to recover from walking headlong into the armored man. The boys were ready to break away for the safety of the classroom when Sparta finally spoke, "my sons--" the battle hardened man was now choked with emotion. Two sons who he had never met we're now in front of him so he kneeled and in a loss of speech, looked over the two boys. Constantine looked to his brother for reassurance and got it as Rome was in awe as he had never seen a warrior before, now amazed that the father he had never met is renowned as the !ost fearsome warrior in the whole land.

"My lads, you are healthy and beautiful-" Sparta choked back tears of joy, "your damned mother, Athena--." His gaze fell from the faces of the boys and rested on the ground until Constantine spoke, "we need to go to school, today we are learn-" Rome cut his brothers speech short with a sharp jab to the ribs with his elbow. Sparta's gaze shot back to the eyes of the boys and excitement filled his face as he Rose to his feet and stood with great pride. "Today you will be learning from your father." Rome looked upon his father as a great man for the first time in his life.

"Isn't this just great?" Rome skipped happily behind the clanking armor of Sparta while Constantine trailed with hesitation. Rome was busy fighting imaginary foes as Constantine took notice that the trio we're wandering towards the edge of the woods. "Rome. . ." His cry was ignored, "Sparta. . ." Again nothing. Paralyzed with fear, Constantine froze as he watched his brother and father disappear into the woods that he was forbiddened to enter.

After much deliberation, Constantine decided to go in to find the others, after all, how far could they have gone? He sprinting in, leaving behind his inhibitions.

Sparta and Rome stopped by a spring for a drink and as the father knelt down, he noticed that the other boy was missing. A pang of fear was instilled into Sparta by this realization but his battle ready instinct allowed him to remain calm. As Rome busied himself drinking from the spring, Sparta stood tall and scanned the woods for the lost boy.

Constantine began to tire as he had been sprinting for quite some time. He decided to sit on a rock and take a rest. While catching his breath, Constantine heard something worrying directly behind him. There was rustling coming from the bushes. Something was approaching him and it wasn't small.

Sparta stayed silent as his fear began to grow. What kind of reputation would this leave him with? The dishonored warrior of old returned to his town only to lose a son; he would be exiled certainly. He beckoned to Rome to follow and the obedient boy did so.

The rustling turned to snarling as the figure lurking in the buses emerged and revealed itself to be a large wolf ready to year the flesh from Constantine and fill his belly. The boy was paralyzed in fear and images of pain and death filled his mind as he was sure this was the end. He fell off the rock where he rested and fell into a shallow stream with a thud and a splash as the wolf edged forward. Constantine's fears multiplied as two more wolves emerged from the brush, mangy and hungry looking.

Sparta heard the splash and instinct insisted that something terrible must be happening. He snatched Rome by the arm and began to run. The speed at which Sparta ram hurt Rome's arm and feet but he ran as he wanted to not let his father down. Within seconds they found the source of the noise and the situation involved. Everyone involved was struck with terror, wolves included.

After a second of pure unrelenting silence, Sparta sprung at the wolves and drew a dagger hanging from his belt. Rome ran to retrieve his brother from the stream but Constantine rose quickly and backed away from his brother, refusing his assistance. Sparta gouged at the alpha wolf as the two others began to year at his exposed flesh. He took the life of the alpha and began beating the second with his hands as his dagger had broken. Rome couldn't understand why Constantine refused his approach. The second wolf laid dead but one remained and Sparta had lost much blood. The struggle against the final wolf was labored and both lacked the energy to fight fiercely.

The terrified boys stood seperately but watched as their brave father fought to defend them. With each stike, the wolf yelped in pain and with each bite, Sparta howled in agony. Finally neither party could muster the strength to remain standing and both slowly collapsed to the ground. His life was fading and Sparta knew it he silently cursed the wolf but when he looked to see that the wolf too had collapsed, there was finally an understanding between the two. The wolf was hungry, tired, and instinct commanded him to fight to the death just the same as Sparta. The old warrior reached out to stroke the wolf's fur and the wolf let him.

The wolf didn't have words to explain how he felt but his emotions were in line with Sparta's. His entire life he longed for the warmth that he once felt as a pup and finally as his life was leaving his body, he felt the warmth as well as something new; The wolf finally felt love and compassion. Perhaps in another life Sparta and the wolf could have been friends. Perhaps in another life he would have had a name. The wolf closed his eyes and allowed the cold to overcome the warmth and his struggle finally ended along with Sparta's.

Sparta was now dead; the once great warrior laid dead by the teeth of the wolf. Behind him, he had left two terrified children. Rome and Constantine remained distant for the rest of their lives. Rome blamed Constantine for the death of his father and Constantine could never forgive Rome for becoming so transfixed on the father that abandoned them to the point where he forgot his own brother.

Athena knew this was all destined to happen. She told them their father was not to be trusted. She knew he was dangerous, no matter how much she loved him. She warned the boys to not go into the woods because that's where boys become men.

November 17, 2019 21:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.