0 comments

Friendship Fiction Mystery

MATILDA

“Oh Chomie, what happened to you?”

Instead of replying, she just cried. Softly. She opened her mouth to say something then her face contorted. 

Kendric came and stood behind me. Holding my shoulder. There seemed to be something coursing down his hands. But I did not bother to figure out what it was. I was having my own mini package of dilemma.

“Oh Chomie….” I whispered covering my mouth.

Kendric kneaded my shoulder then. I was about to break down in tears. I swallowed back my sorrow, choked, and started coughing. The guy took a glass of water and offered it to me. I spluttered.

Kendric started laughing softly. I looked up, ready to blast him. I felt something seep down my chin leaving a cool touch in its wake. I snapped!

“What? WHAT? This is not the time to laugh. She is not all right. I almost died."

Kendric smiled then, “She finds it amusing. Look.”

And surely enough, Salamay’s lips were twitching into something representing a smile. I found my anger dissolving and laughed, “Hai, hai Chomie, you get pleasure at the expense of my near-death experience?”


I looked at my clothing now. A part of me was screaming… but I had to stick with my Chomie. My hands glided and I mastered a feathery touch so as not to hurt her, “Salamay babe, we love you. Never ever think that you are alone in this world.” 

Tears started shining in her eyes. And I felt all resolve to be strong, dissolve. I stroked her face gently, “Oh Sal, what is happening to you?”

She sniffed then and whispered, “It hurts.”

I panicked, “What is wrong? Where does it hurt?”

“I do not deserve you, Matilda. I do not deserve you at all.”

I looked at Kendric, “Why is she saying this?” I turned to face her again, “No. no. no Chomie. No. Salamay, I am not them. I am not going to leave you. No.”

“It really hurts. I want to die,” she whispered with a slight croak. 


She wanted to die. Die? Salamay die? What? Why?


Kendric now pushed a chair and sat by my side. He grabbed both of our hands. Salamay's eyes spoke silent horror.

I looked at Kendric. Determination and sorrow were on his face, “Roe, ‘Tilda, I do commend you for such an amazing job. Of sticking to one another. In trying times.”


What? Was the man now a psychologist?


“I know, I know. I am not a psychologist hey. But I am a human being, in a social scene. Nature has a duality you know. The good caring side is reflecting now,” continued Kendric answering my mind. Okay, that was not nice at all…, “My point is, hold on to each other. Roe babe, no one is dying, and everyone deserves each other. In our little circle here, okay?”


Why again does he use the name Roe like Rosella of Island Princess? Okay, this guy is just one of a kind.


“You are amazing Roe. One dynamic package. We all stumble and fall. Get underappreciated for being outstanding. Matilda, we may have been on the social scene for all the wrong reasons. But that does not mean we are what people say we are…okay, I am dealing with two broken vessels….”


There was a bit of commotion outside. I wondered if Salamay’s parents had finally come. It was her eyes however that said otherwise. They changed from being an expression of physical pain to another weird crazy expression. Fresh tears started pouring out and by my side, Kendric winced. Well, seemed like my Chomie had a vice grip on his hand. 


While trying to figure out what was going on between Kendric and Salamay, my observation was cut short by this melodic deep baritone. Oh, trust me it was harmonious. Sing-a-song like. I looked up at the source and was quite impressed by what I saw. There was this guy on the door frame of the room. Posed like a gorgeous stature, saying hi to us. I wanted to really rise and say a lot. Then Salamay was whimpering. I was forced to tear my eyes from this African-incarnated Greek god. (I have only heard of this handsome Adonis, the uh Greek gods. So, it is an assumption.)

I faced my Chomie who was affected as well by the appearance of this new person. Only in a deathly way. She was choking and losing colour underneath all the bandages. And having difficulties breathing. Hmph, that was novel to me. 


The doctor then came in, “Oh, this is Cabal. My nephew. He just barged in. I deeply apologize. He usually quickly visits and sees some of my patients.”

“Cabal…” I spoke arising, “How?”

I could faintly see from the corner of my eye that Salamay was now trembling. Not extremely. Slightly. 

The guy smiled and stepped forward, “Cabal is my nickname ma’am. It can mean a lot of beautiful aced-up names. I am a lord of the Ring. Cabal or lord Cabal.”

“Matilda.”

I introduced myself and clasped the guy’s outstretched hand. My. He has such a firm but gentlemanly grip. I found myself smiling. Then I heard Salamay gasp and choke.

“That’s Kendric and my Chomie, Salamay,” I said, in a not-normal velvety voice.

“Nice to meet you, my lady.”

He took a bow and kissed my hand. I felt the air whoosh out of me…

And that is when Salamay gave a wailing sound. More of a screech. And amid it…., “GET OUT OF HERE MATILDA. YOU TOO ETHAN!! GET OUT!”

 

What happened was hazy.

Okay, it seemed like the guy was suddenly bewildered. Kendric only said, “So this is the infamous Ethan huh?”

I must have missed something. Cause I did end up on the bed sitting sprawled. And Kendric’s chair was tipped. 

There was a loud cracking sound. Like a belt slapped on a wall….and the Adonis. Uhm. He was on the floor. Kendric was standing before him…staring down at him, with a murderous look.

 

KENDRIC

They had to sedate her. It had become an ugly scene. And I was not sorry.

We now sat side by side. With the Ethan. Nursing our battle scars. More like a one-man battle. I had bruised fingers. Well, temporarily.

“You can press charges.” I heard myself speak.

The guy gave me a side glance, “Most definitely…” He gave a charming smile. Something in me arose.

Matilda kept on touching the hem of her blouse as well as pulling her ear. I honestly did not care.

The doctor entered, “Whoa, whoa. No one is pressing charges.”

“Auntie no. No one is pressing charges but am I. Did you just see that reaction to this gorgeousness out of nowhere? He imagined like he was in a boxing ring with a nemesis. This is a case of mistaken identity.”

“Mistaken identity my foot! Did you just see what happened to my friend?” I snapped jumping out of the chair. I could feel my whole face ablaze, nostrils flaring…. What was happening to me?

The guy just looked at me and smirked, “Fuel station.”


I tried to kick him, but the doctor stopped me. She stood before us, “Cease fire for crying out. This is a place of harmony and sickness not a battlefield.”

The guy laughed, “No auntie, let him. He has a bitter story. Mistaken identity.”

Matilda suddenly arose. Angry. Incredibly angry, “Aren’t you the harbinger of all that has befallen my Sal?”

The jerk raised his handsome head. So chilled, “Who is Sal?”

Matilda gave a cry and wrangled her hands, “You are a devil’s henchman! You. It is all because of you!”

He shrugged his shoulders, indifferent, “Woman, I do not know what you are talking about. You look so absorbing while angry. It makes your skin glow even more. And that just makes my heart dance with anticipation.”


WHAT!!??


Matilda scoffed, and flicked back her hair, “Are you seriously flirting with me right now? My friend Sal is hanging by the thread and all you care is about how I look? What are you?”

He now arose and I watched Matilda take a theatric step back. I scoffed, “Matilda, get a grip on yourself. He is not gonna do anything to you.”

“Seriously CK? What…get back you devil!" snapped Matilda.

I watched, bewildered as the jerk bent his face low and slowly wound his hand around Matilda’s hand. He planted another kiss and I saw the lady catch her breath. Like seriously?

She now started stuttering something inaudible.

“Can I get your digits?” requested the jerk.

I felt myself snap up to my feet and felt my ankle twist unnaturally. Oh shucks!


MATILDA

I was trying so hard to be normal, but it was too much. 

It was like the devilish creature was casting a spell on me, dazzling me. I looked at CK who looked so sheepish while the doctor nursed his ankle. She kept muttering about drama and kids. I just could not get how the guy had just sprained his ankle.


“You Cabal, you are bringing a bad vibe. First her, now him. Am I next?” I lisped.

I braced myself for another swathing spell. The guy just stared at me and rolled his eyes. He huffed, “Auntie, I am leaving. I am quite a bad omen today.”

“Please do,” hissed CK, “She is stirring awake.”

“Well, I just wanna know where she knows me from in that case.” muttered the guy.

“Ethan love, I would really advise you to leave at once. If anything is to happen again, why my service will be in vain. Besides, her parents are at the reception," chimed in the doctor.

“Oh!” exclaimed the creature. His face fell and he seemed to try and figure out something.

He turned to me, “Salamay is her name?”

I rolled my eyes, “So you know her. What? You are afraid her parents will recognize you?”

“I will truly fulfil Roe's dream if he keeps denying her existence.” lisped CK.

Ethan looked at CK and smirked, "And what is your deal with her? Look, I do not know your girlfriend. I do not know your Salamay. And neither do I know nor do I wanna know her dream."

"Why on earth then would she yell your damn name then?" thundered CK. He was losing his coolness. This was a surprise to me, considering how chilled he was usually. He winced then as the doctor wrapped up his ankle.

"You know what, you are disturbing my patient. And this is totally against the rules. Ethan baby, you know it. Here is my suggestion, why don't you trio have a chat over a cup of coffee hmm? And iron it all out," suggested the doctor.

Ethan turned to me then and grinned charmingly. I felt myself stutter again. He took my hand and shot a glance at CK, "Kindly follow us oh honourable knight."

"Just a minute, that leg shouldn't be moved unnecessarily. Hold on while I bring a clutch. Oh, and meet me outside. Her parents are already here."

 

KENDRIC

For the umpteenth time, I rolled my eyes. I just could not figure out what made 'Tilda drool over that phony. Had she already forgotten what had happened to her friend? 


"Alright Ey-ta, I get it. I get it. You are so funny you know."

I watched the man kiss her hand and felt something gag. She had already shortened his name. Was she for real?


The phony finally stopped acting like a douchebag and faced me. The isolated, abhorred element at the moment. The expression on his face changed. From a lover boy to a normal and innocent boy. I wanted to smash his jaw. Just one second, what was wrong with me?

"About your girlfriend...." he began.

"Roe is not my girlfriend. But my sister." I spat back.

The guy looked at Matilda with a baffled look, Roe? Who is Roe?


"I am the one who said her name. Look at me while I am talking to you!" I snapped then. 'Tilda placed a warm hand on mine and shook her head. I understood what she was implying.

 I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.


Get a grip on yourself CK. You are embarrassing yourself. You are brewing a storm out of a minor thing. Keep calm and do not be infuriated by this stranger. First impressions matter. For the sake of Roe, be cool. Do not compromise. Do not go overboard.


I opened my eyes and took another breath, "Let's restart this all over again."

"Splendid.” smiled the guy and stretched his hand. I looked at it with disdain. He smiled, "I promise not to plant a kiss. Hi, I am Ethan. My friends call me Cabal."

"I am Connor. Some call me Kendric. Others prefer CK. This is Matilda. I call her 'Tilda."

Underneath the table, I pinned 'Tilda's hands. Since she was failing to wad off the guy's attention, I could gladly help.

"Nice to meet you. So, whence from do you know your friend who is not feeling well?" asked the phony.

My first expression was to jump and yell at him, NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

But I sighed instead, "At the University of Zimbabwe."

"Oh, so both of you are students?"

"Ethan, are you also not a student?" asked 'Tilda.

He just shrugged instead of replying. There was a moment of silence that was not accounted for.

"I am sorry. So sorry. I honestly did not mean to cause such havoc. Your friend looks sweet." apologized the guy.

He has a name. He is Ethan. An Ethan. An eagerly and overly discreet Ethan.

"Right, so you can apologize?" I smirked.

"Of course. I am a responsible citizen. I do not create scenes unnecessarily." replied the Ethan. Good-heartedly and calmly. While I, while I was frothing and seething with anger. Since when did I let my emotions get the better of me?


"It's all right E-than-oil. I mean Ethan. I apologize too. Uhm, that was really out of my character."

An Ethan smiled, "Way out of character huh? Let us bury the hatchet then."

He stretched his hand. Unconsciously, I looked at 'Tilda. For approval? She met my eyes and gave me one nod. I nodded back then turned to the Ethanol...I mean the Ethan. And shook his hand. It did not have such a strong grip as mine. Yet burying the hatchet, we had just done so.

"So, Ey-ta, if you profess not to know my Salamay, how come she did recognize you? And your name as well?"

He shrugged again, "I honestly do not know. I have a look alike you know. At the University..."

"So, you are a student? I get it Mr. Discreet." I interjected.

"I never denied being one Sir Kendric," he replied.

I wilted inside. For someone who was on the receiving end of my immature and angry outbursts, he was being so respectful.

"If I may ask Cabal, what's your surname?"

He lowered his eyes and tapped his fingers on the table. Then arose, "Actually, I have to head back to campus. I have a meeting with my gang."

"Is it that hard to just blurt out or whisper your surname?" I lisped.

'Tilda placed a hand on my shoulder. I stood up as well and cleared my throat, "None of my business, I guess. Oh okay, whenever we meet, we shall conclude our conversation."

Ethanol...I mean Ethan smiled, "Maybe the circumstances will not be conducive. Nonetheless, all the best. I hope your gal... friend has a speedy recovery."


Oh, she will have a speedy recovery. So that she can rip out your throat and deal with you for being traitorous.


I smiled back, "Thank you. I will pass...your warm message."

I saw a flicker of worry on the guy's face. Only for it to be ironed out by another smile, "It would be quite courteous for you not to do so. In fact, she should not know that I was here. The last thing I want is for my auntie to think I am a bad omen. Especially when her patient relapses at the mention of my name."


Or you are simply scared and feeling guilty. 

Scared because Auntie will come after you, all guns ablaze after realizing what a sorry bum she has as an excuse for a nephew. 

Guilty because you realize your past is catching up with you. She may have been too loyal for your kind but the way you managed the situation was so un-gentle-man-ly. My speculations, but I got a good Hunch..





September 21, 2023 06:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.