PETER AND GENIE~ AN UNLIKELY PAIR

Submitted into Contest #202 in response to: Write about two people striking up an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Friendship Teens & Young Adult

PETER AND GENIE

(AN UNLIKELY PAIR)



     “This growing up thing is for the birds,” Peter exclaimed angrily as he flew as high as his slim body could carry him. 

     “If only they would’ve just stopped talking, babbling away like a bunch of billyblabs! Whatever that is!” He grunted. “I tried to shield myself from listening to all the nonsense things in the world just so I wouldn’t have had to grow up so I could stay a kid forever! But nope, here I am! I couldn’t shut them out forever! Although, I tried like heck to keep to myself, ignore their silly grown up ways! Yup, they finally got to ME! PETER PAN~ the guy who’s never supposed to grow up!”

Peter screamed in the wind as he flew higher, past the crescent moon, Hercules, and Orien.  A shooting star blazed the trail he just followed.  He settled on the tip of the North Star and nestled on a cloud at the tip of the Milky Way. He took off his tiny green red feathered cap snuggled on the fluffy pillow like cloud and fell sound asleep. 


    “It’s all about them! Never me!” Genie flew high up in the sky. His liquid blue iridescent body blended in with the evening sky like soft shimmering watercolors.       


      “I get three wishes Genie? Really? What can you give me Genie? Gimme gimme gimme! Greedy greedy greedy! Always thinking about themselves! Never me! Oh, Genie, can I have this? Can I have that? Can I give you a bump on the head? That’s what I’d really like to give them!” He flew higher and higher. “Never a thank you Genie or how can I repay you for your kindness Genie! I want more more more! Can I wish for three more wishes and after that three more! What is wrong with these peeps? I’m sick of it! I Need to get out a’ here where no one can find me and use me anymore!”

     Genie screamed in the wind as he flew higher and higher, past the crescent moon, Hercules, and Orien. A shooting star blazed the trail he just followed.  He settled on the tip of the North Star and nestled on a cloud at the tip of the Milky Way…but whoops, he bumped into a tiny guy, wearing green tights decorated with autumn leaves and cobwebs. 

     “Hey, you get off of my cloud!” Yelled Peter. 

     “What do you mean you’re cloud? This is my spot!”  Genie roared back; his blue body swelled up like a giant blueberry. 

     Peter crouched down but suddenly sprang forth like a Jack rabbit. “I’ve been coming to this cloud for centuries. I pretty much own it.”

      “Nobody can own a cloud you silly little bird! How did you get here anyway? Humans can’t fly!” 

     “Why, with thinking happy thoughts and magical pixie dust! That’s how!” Peter spoke proudly and as he did he reached out and grabbed ahold of Genie and said, “Hey, I’ve got you now! Doesn’t that mean I get three wishes?”

“Woohoo, goody for you! Peter gets three wishes! Woopie doo!” Genie bellowed! “Go ahead! Wish away! What could a little man like you want? You wanna be taller? Oh wait, you wanna be smaller? Oh, I know, you don’t wanna grow up! Wa,wa, wa! Why don’t you be like everyone else and just keep asking for more more more!”


The Genie laughed so loud at his own joke, the cloud shook and almost knocked Peter off. He was afraid. But he simply got up, brushed himself off and stood before the magnificent Genie and bravely responded, “Oh yeah, well guess what? To fall off this stupid cloud would be an awfully big adventure! And I don’t really care if I die!” Peter stood strong with his arms folded across his tiny green vest.


     Genie again roared with laughter at the little man but admired his stamina and attempt at bravery and courage to stand up to him. 

They stared boldly into each others eyes until Peter blinked then they settled into the cloud content with sharing its space for the time being. 

  “What brings you here anyway?” Peter asked. “You’re a Genie. Can’t you be and do whatever you want? What’s up with you? Why are you so angry and mean?”

     With this the Genie stared sadly at the little man before him. The big blue bully was taken down with just one statement. A tiny tear trickled down his cheek. At first, he wasn’t sure how to respond but his eyes quickly widened at the realization that someone was actually asking about HIM! 

     “You want to know about me?” Genie asked excitedly! “No one has ever asked me about how I feel. It’s always about them! You actually, really truly want to know about me? Wait, before I answer, ask me one more time because that felt sooooo good! 

     Peter thought to himself, ok he’s a little strange but here goes. “Hey Genie, are you ok?” 

      Genie flew in the air, spun around a half a zillion times, twirled back and smiled. “Peter my guy! You made me the happiest Genie! Do you really truly honest to goodness with a cheery on top care about me? Or did you just ask me, so I’ll go away?” 

      “Ummm,  I guess I care.  

      “Oh, great! I thought so! Wait…You GUESS you care… hmmm?” Genie bellowed. “There’s a chance?”

“No, I just met you and you’re a little odd but you’re nice. I do care that you’re ok.”

     “Ok, YES, YOU do care!” Genie realized there’s hope! “And YES! I’m ok. For once in my pathetic life, someone asked about lil ole’ me, Genie. Thank you, Peter, with all my blue blue heart! That felt great!

“Can I just vent for a minute? Just a little? I’m just so tired of selfish people. They often don’t realize less is more. They ask you how you are? But do they wait for the reply? They ask can I help, but is it sincere, is their heart into it? When they donate to a charity or buy gifts for Christmas so they can tell their friends what and how much they did! I’m sure some of it’s legit but the rest, yeah, i second guess actual intentions today as to the sincerity level. It seems like a “One man, one bone” world out there right now and it’s a little scary of you ask me! The children benefit so it’s a win win but it’s a crazy world just the same. Only one person truly knows one’s heart.

All I can say is a BIG FAT Thank you to you for caring about me for once in my life!

Now, how about you little man. Are you ok? Why are you here?” 

     “I didn’t want to grow up. But I had to. If I didn’t listen to nonsense things, I could stay a kid forever. But nonsense things are everyday things and around us all the time!  We can’t escape it! We can only grow with it! Yuck! I was told I could remain a kid forever if you didn’t listen to those stupid adults and their nonsense gossip! But nope! It’s around me everywhere! And yup, I went ahead and listened because I cared about the world and what was going on! Before you know it I stared to grow up and I don’t want to!”

     “Well, you don’t want to be a kid forever. Heck, you’ll still be YOU. Just a grown up YOU! You’ll Always be a kid inside here” Genie points to Peter’s heart. We always have our inner kid! The one that stays with us forever. No one can take that from us!”

     “Grow up and meet someone nice. Like we found each other today! I’m sure there’s others out there like us who just need a friend. 

“What makes you fly? 

Happy thoughts and pixie dust right?

What makes YOU, YOU?  

Don’t change for anyone! 

YOU DO YOU! I DO”                                                                                                                                      


“But Peter?”

“Yeah, Genie?” 

“Grow the heck up, would ya please?” Hahahahahaha, The Genie roared once more. 

“And Genie?”

“Yeah, Peter? 

“Can I make a wish?”

“Oh, no I thought you really, truly cared about me!” Genie sighed.

“But you’ll like this one Genie, I promise.” Peter crossed his little heart.

“Ok, go ahead.” Genie nervously replied.

Peter closed his eyes and looked toward the sky and with his whole tiny being whispered, “Genie, I wish we could be friends forever and ever and ever and even the day after! And one more, I wish that every person who wishes on you, wishes you happiness too! Oh and for my last wish…he puckered up and with all his little might said loud and clear…

“To live now would be an awfully good adventure! I no longer want to die!”

”Well, now those wishes SHALL BE GRANTED RIGHT NOW!”

Genie grabbed ahold of Peter’s hand.

Together

They flew 

Back 

To earth

Friends forever and ever and ever and one day after!


June 11, 2023 20:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.