4 comments

American Friendship High School

Sometimes, what makes us truly brave is our courage to face the reality that even our expectations won't always be aligned to our path when fate itself suggests the exact opposite. How courageous are you to let go of what you've held dearly, and how bold are you to stay even when things are no longer worth fighting for?

It was one evening in December of 2019 when they first met. He was silent yet attractive, quiet yet impressive. She was simple yet stunning, shy yet of beauty. An inch shorter than him, she has wavy hair that falls up to her waist. That night both were performers of a live free concert, performing solo. She eyed him before he knew she was there. As he was going up the stage, she was looking-staring at him, marveling at how attractive he was in his way. He held a blue guitar and played the song, 'I love you so much, and now you know.' He was playing well. His fingers moved rapidly from one fret to another with constancy as he plucked each string while closing his eyes, occasionally feeling the mood of the music. His music was melodious to her ears; she blended with the audience as she tried to move closer to the stage unconsciously, enchanted by his performance. She knows she's in love with this exceptional man. His performance ended, and it was her turn. As she moved up to the stage and he was going down, he tapped her shoulder as they crossed, reassuring her. At that moment, everything ceased to exist, and only both of them remained. His palm on her shoulder, him close to her.

She became more determined than ever before. She held the microphone with ease as the music in the background started playing. The crowd's silence sent shivers to her body, but as she scanned at the audience and saw him standing at the corner, she grew more confident. She closed her eyes and started singing 'Enchanted' by Taylor Swift. He knew she had a good voice, but he didn't expect to be struck by it. However, he had heard the song many times, and hearing her singing seemed like hearing the music for the first time. When she reached the chorus and their eyes locked at each other, he could do nothing but concede to her charm as he sang along with her. 

When she finished the song, he was out of her sight, nowhere to be found.

She asked the organizer, their co-performers, and the other staff about the young man but none of them knew his whereabouts. It took her days to find out things about him finally. She came to see that he's two years younger and lives in Samar.

She graduated high school earlier than him, she had to wait for years, for two whole years, before she could say what she felt. Dreaming of a treasure, she isn't sure it would be hers. She knows things will go their way, and she hopes it will go her way. She learned things about him that broke her, but she stood firm in the decision that one day she was going to tell him what she felt deep inside. Then just before he graduated, she got a word from a friend that he had a week out of school. She grabbed the opportunity; this rare opportunity of meeting him might never come back. This could be the only chance to let him know that what she felt,this opportunity means a lot to her. She traveled far from her hometown in Mindanao and went to Samar, where he lived so that she could meet him. That day she knew he'd be going to a known mall in Samar. She preplanned everything and waited there. She went there preparing everything and even had a meal ordered for them. Then he passed by from where she was staying, as she anticipated. She waved her hand; she seemed familiar to him, he stopped, she went out of the resto and met him. This young lad in front of her is the reason she never loved anyone else. They talked for a couple of minutes about the how’s and whys. 

“I’ve heard you already have a girlfriend.”, she said. 

“Yes, she is from your campus”, he answered without looking at her. 

“So how have you been?”, he asked. “Well I’m doing great” was her answer. 

“Why are you here in Samar? I was told your residency is in Bukidnon.”

“Oh–. Ahmmm— I visited an old friend and we were supposed to meet here” she answered.

“Is that so? Anyways, I have to go. I have to buy something. It's good meeting you,though it's unexpected.” 

He was about to go his way but she gestured for him to wait for a while. She went inside the resto, and when she came back, she brought gifts for him, one of which is his favorite delicacy—almond. He was astonished that she knew what his favorite was, but whatsoever he just said his thanks.After a couple of minutes of talking they parted ways with him so happy and her feeling accomplished.

 Deep inside, she knew he would never be hers, ever. Tears flowed from her eyes as she watched him vanish in the distance. It will be a long time before they meet again, ‘If we ever will’, she told herself. When he was out of her sight she went back inside the resto. 

He picked up what he came for and went back to his condo. He put his things above the bed when suddenly he came to look at the pouch that came from her, he found out that hidden in those gifts was a letter for him. Inside the letter was her unspoken love. It struck him, leaving him breathless. 'There are some things in life that I guess it is not for me to know. When you love someone, you've got to learn to let them go' were the words in the letter that remained encrypted in his mind and heart after reading the letter again and again. He felt uneasy and didn't know what to do. 'Why does it have to be now?' he asked himself. 'Why did she tell me just now?', another relentless cry of his. He knew it was all too late. It all happened too fast and unexpectedly. He knew he could never love her back, now that he already has someone in his life. “If only I could, girl, I would. If only I had known much earlier, but now it is too late. I have to accept this fate”.

May 17, 2022 12:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

My MoonStone
08:03 May 19, 2022

the only thing i could say para kay girl is that, "never look for the 'one true love', you just have to wait..anyways...true love will always find its way from where it belongs... dagul...

Reply

Matt Phil
06:30 May 20, 2022

hahah..thanks for the comment........

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
My MoonStone
08:00 May 19, 2022

ouchsheeeee ba oi....sakita ba ani bai...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kimmiaz 2017i19
03:01 May 18, 2022

sakita sa pero nindot sya

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.