Fixed? Transfixed I'd say

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Speculative Teens & Young Adult

The doorbell rings, I immediately run to get it.

"I'm here to fix the electricity supply" a charmingly cute guy, easy on the eyes, standing tall in front of my petite self tells me.

"Umm?"

It takes me a second to realize I haven't said a word yet and I need to let him in. Way to be embarrassing and creepy.

Too mesmerised by his bold and confident figure, I just nod and let him in.

He takes a few confident strides across the room and turns to look at me again. I'm flustered when he catches me ogling at him, sue me. I didn't expect an electrician to look like that, judgemental much? I'd say so. He looked like a college student, in his mid teens. Dark brown captivating eyes, brown dishevelled hair, a jawline that could cut throat, a light stubble under his chin. He was breathtakingly gorgeous. He was wearing a plain black tee and jeans. His arms holding out muscles and his T-shirt clinging to his perfect abdomen. I know right? Perfect.

I show him the way around to the electric main in the back.

I watch him as he eases his way through, meticulously eyeing the bunched up wires and cables. His eye twitches in concentration and he holds the screw driver between his lips. I'd say he looks hot, but that too would be an understatement. I've been eyeing him for too long now. It must look weird I tell myself.

I busy myself with a magazine but I look up at him every now and then to not look very creepy. The only noise in the room being the flipping pages of the magazine sound.

He continues to mend wires and do his thing while I unconsciously flip through the magazine pages.

"It's done I think, you could check with the lights" he says gently. I realise he's talking to me and look up dumbfounded.

"Fixed?" I ask dumbly, he nods.

Damn that went by real quick. How did he fix it so soon? I'm sure he didn't do it right, there's definitely something else to fix right? It can't be that he's already done. I could check, I should check.

I lightly wander to the switchboard and click all the switches to the lights hoping secretly that something wasn't right. I'm wicked. I like his presence here, as strange as it sounds, he's a newcomer, absolutely unknown to me yet it's oddly comforting and calming when he's here. Luck never favours me when it comes to things like this. Everything was fine.

"Fixed?" He asks me this time. I smile because it was the same thing I asked him. He's good at this.

I nod and walk into my room to get the money that dad left from my side table. Taking as much as time to walk back out. I told you, I don't want him to leave just yet. Call me childish or whatever you want. When I step out, I find him staring down at our family picture in the frame and my eyes widen when I realize it's the one from my fancy dress competition. I dressed as Cinderella and won the second prize for the competition, we took the picture right after. My parents smiling proud and happily, and then there was me, making my weirdest pose and flashing my teeth in front of the camera.

I flush in embarrassment when he turns around and asks me if that was me in the picture. He gets his answer when he looks at me all flustered and red. He laughs lightly, it's a deep yet gentle laugh, a sound soothing to ears, the kind that automatically brings a smile to your own face. "It's cute, the picture, you look cute" he finally says.

I don't know what to say, I just stand there awkwardly looking at him scratch the back of his head, our eyes holding each other's gaze. I'm captivated. He's beautiful without even trying. I can only imagine how funny I look in front of him wearing an oversized sweatshirt, shorts and Mickey Mouse flip flops. I'm 18 by the way. Not a kid anymore. I still like Mickey Mouse though, Tom and Jerry too. I'm too occupied in my own thoughts. He breaks the silence with a gentle cough. I'm immediately thrown out of the trance I was in, I hand him the money and thank him. He only nods.

Neither of us know what to say or do next. I want to say something, but I don't know what, I'd like to think he wants to say something too but he doesn't either. None of us move for the next few seconds. Just oddly standing and looking at each other. There's a shift in the air around us. He finally steps aside to move out, I walk behind him still watching his every move. He thanks me. For what, I don't know. I nod, knowing nothing else to say. He steps out and walks away, turning around to spare one last glance at me. I smile and he returns it with a wave.

I walk back inside the house and close the door behind me. Closing my eyes to capture his picture in my head.

Deep down I wished I had asked him for his name, made some conversation atleast. Instead I just ogled at him, made it so awkward and uncomfortable. He probably thought I was creepy, might've believed I was some stalkerish person. Weird even. But he called me cute and smiled at me. He waved too. It's not too bad right? He wouldn't think like that? I think to myself, picturing his smiling face brings a smile on my own. I pick up the magazine once again but leave it on the table this time. I switch the lights off and climb into bed, smiling like the idiot I am. The electricity supply is sure fixed and me? Fixed? I'd say transfixed.

June 01, 2021 06:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.