2 comments

Drama Fiction Inspirational

Casey Morgan was stuck. A struggling writer in her late 20s, she spent her days juggling part-time jobs—tutoring, freelancing, and walking dogs—just to pay rent on her cramped New York City apartment. Her nights were devoted to writing, though her manuscripts never seemed good enough to get noticed. Every rejection email felt like a nail in the coffin of her dreams. On a particularly frustrating night, after hours of staring at a blank screen, her battered old laptop froze and flashed a strange update prompt: “Install New Writing Enhancement Software?”

Annoyed and exhausted, Casey clicked “Accept,” not thinking much of it, and fell asleep at her desk, hoping that tomorrow would be different.

The next morning, she woke with a sore back and a dull headache, the dim light of her apartment already seeping in through the window. As she sipped her last bit of coffee, she sat down at her desk and opened her laptop. The screen looked normal, but Casey felt a subtle, strange buzz in the air. Still half asleep, she typed into a blank document: “I wish I had breakfast.”

Seconds later, there was a knock at her door. Confused, she opened it to find a delivery person standing there with a bag from her favorite bakery—a place she couldn’t afford. Inside were a warm croissant, a breakfast sandwich, and a latte. Casey hadn’t ordered anything, yet it was all there, just as she had typed. She stared at the food, her heart racing, and then back at her laptop.

To test what had happened, she typed: “I wish my noisy neighbors would move out.” An hour later, she heard the unmistakable sounds of her upstairs neighbors packing. The couple, infamous for their all-night parties, had abruptly decided to break their lease and move across town. Casey watched them from her window, her mind racing with possibilities.

As the days passed, Casey’s experiments grew bolder. She started small, asking for simple things: good weather, finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk, or a call back for a freelance gig. Each time, her wishes came true with uncanny precision, and Casey realized she held something extraordinary at her fingertips. Soon, she stopped typing about small inconveniences and began to dream big.

One night, she typed: “I wish my latest manuscript would be picked up by a major publisher.” The next day, her inbox lit up with an email from a top literary agent who claimed she’d “discovered” Casey’s work and saw incredible potential. Within weeks, Casey’s manuscript sold in a heated bidding war, her debut novel receiving glowing praise from critics. Casey was thrust into a world she’d only dreamed of: fancy book signings, interviews, and exclusive parties where editors and celebrities fawned over her.

Casey began to write herself the life she had always wanted. She typed herself into a sleek, sunlit loft downtown, upgraded her wardrobe with designer clothes, and sculpted her social circle to be exactly how she wanted it. When she felt lonely, she typed old friends back into her life, fixing past arguments and misunderstandings with a few well-chosen words. When her mother, who had always been critical of her writing career, called to congratulate her, Casey felt triumphant—but she knew she’d written that call into existence, making her mother supportive and proud, something she’d never been before.

But the more she typed, the more she noticed something was wrong. Life started to feel scripted, predictable. Her friends were too agreeable, laughing at all the right moments and saying exactly what Casey wanted to hear. They seemed like actors in a play she had written, their conversations stilted and empty. One day, she typed, “I wish to feel truly happy.” But instead of the deep, fulfilling joy she expected, she felt a shallow, fleeting buzz—like a sugar rush that quickly faded.

Casey’s powers began to backfire in subtle, insidious ways. She typed, “I wish for some peace and quiet,” and soon, her apartment building was eerily silent. The neighbors were gone, her once bustling street was deserted, and even the usual sounds of the city had faded away. What initially felt like a welcome break quickly turned oppressive. The silence was too perfect, too unnatural. Casey felt like she was the only person left in a world she had unknowingly pushed away.

When she typed, “I wish I’d never feel stressed again,” she lost not only her anxiety but her drive. Her deadlines slipped, her writing felt hollow, and the passion that once fueled her work vanished. She watched, detached, as her success slowly unraveled. Calls from her agent went unanswered, emails piled up, and Casey found herself unable to muster the energy to care.

Desperate to fix the growing disarray, Casey typed, “I wish things could go back to how they were before.” But instead of restoring her old life, the wish warped everything further. Her cozy loft reverted to its previous shabby state, her new friends faded into distant acquaintances, and the lucrative book deals disappeared. Worse, the world around her seemed oddly rearranged, as if the threads of reality had tangled in ways she couldn’t comprehend. Moments from her past were missing, and people she knew behaved strangely, as though they remembered a different version of events.

Panicking, Casey typed, “I wish I never had this power.” Her laptop screen flickered and went black. She tried to restart it, but it was dead—no lights, no sound, just an inert piece of metal and plastic on her desk. The magic she had abused was gone, leaving her trapped in a fractured reality of her own making.

Without her laptop, Casey was forced to confront the mess she’d made of her life. She returned to her old routines, but everything felt off-kilter. Friends were distant, and her family seemed wary of her, unsure of what had changed but sensing something was wrong. Worst of all, she couldn’t bring herself to write. Every time she picked up a pen or opened a new document, she was haunted by the memory of how easily she had once twisted reality to her whims, and how empty it had left her.

Gradually, Casey found solace in writing by hand, rediscovering the messy, imperfect joy of putting words on paper. There were no shortcuts, no instant fixes—just the slow, deliberate process of crafting stories from her own experiences. She began writing a new manuscript, not for fame or success but for herself. It was raw and unpolished, filled with the tangled emotions she’d bottled up, but it was real. The act of writing became a way for her to reconnect with the world she’d nearly lost.

Months later, Casey sat in a small café, scribbling in her notebook. The city buzzed around her, chaotic and imperfect, but alive. She still thought about her mysterious power from time to time, wondering what might have happened if she had used it differently. But in the end, she knew the true power wasn’t in the magic—it was in embracing the flaws, the uncertainty, and the messiness of real life.

Casey had spent so long trying to write the perfect story, but now, she was learning to live it, one imperfect day at a time.

September 05, 2024 07:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Amy O'Keeffe
09:36 Sep 13, 2024

A great story Vera! I like the way you have shown the consequences of having that type of power. I really like the ending of your story, it references the reality of life. I enjoyed reading your story.

Reply

Vera N
13:56 Sep 13, 2024

Thanks for the insight

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.