74 comments

Crime Drama Suspense

Sunrise painted the rain swept rocks of the castle gold as she poured poison into her husband’s morning whiskey. The fire of the spirit would mask the ice of the paralytic which had been crippling Lord Blackstone for months.

Lady Gemma Blackstone had everything arranged for the death of her husband would be slow, deservedly so. Revenge was a dish best served cold and Algernon Blackstone liked ice in his whiskey.

Gemma watched the chest of her hated husband rise and fall. His crackling breaths came in stutters. The poison had started work on his lungs. She has lessened the dose to ensure he didn’t die suddenly. Everyone needed to know was that Lord Blackstone was a sick man. His twisted mind would meet its match in the gnarled agony of his flesh.

She smiled sweetly, best to always smile in case he was looking. Gemma played the part of a doting wife. She fluffed his pillows. She changed the bed pan. She stoked the fire in the night when the servants were gone.

“Gemma? Is that you?” he rasped, coughing.

“It’s Algie, what can I get you?” she asked him in the simpering voice he knew her by. “How is it? Do you feel better?”

“Maybe.” He wheezed. “A solid breakfast will do me the word of good.”

Gemma nodded and called the butler. “Reginald, Lord Blackstone is awake. Bring the wheelchair.”

“My whiskey.” Lord Blackstone wheezed. “Can’t start the day without it.” He took the ready crystal tumbler in stiff hands. She had to help him sip it down.

“You know you shouldn’t, my love. It’s your worst vice.”

“All old men need vices.” Lord Blackstone flashed his gold teeth, then closed his eyes in pain as his lungs shot through with agonising needles of fire. Whiskey burnt away sleep.

“Good morning, my Lord,” said Reginald. The wrinkled butler, older than the stones of the castle, wheeled in a chair that creaked with every turn of the oak wheels. “Good Morning, Lady Blackstone.”

“Good morning, Reginald,” she said. Together they helped the gnarled old man into his chair. The butler insisted on pushing him to the dining room.

Above the table hung a painting of a hanging family entitled Justice Will Be Served. Gemma had commissioned the painting to remind her of her mission. Algernon Blackstone had her entire family executed for theft when she was just a girl. Gemma had escaped only because she’d been out on an errand when her mother, father, brother, and sister were sent to the gallows. Only her father had stolen, and only enough food to feed the children. The standard punishment had been the loss of a hand, an acceptable risk for a man who wanted to feed his loved ones. Instead the Lord of Blackstone Castle had chosen to make an example of the whole Fisher family. High on her stool on the gallows Gemma’s mother had caught her eye. Before her footing was kicked away from her, Angela Fisher mouthed the words live, live for us. Tears in Angela’s eyes were the last things Gemma saw before the rope snapped taught and the quartet of condemned began kicking, faces twisted in horror.

The painted faces looked little like her family but the painter had captured the terror of the doomed. Gemma was grateful that the likeness of the painting was off. There was no chance anyone would connect her and her blue eyes to the brown eyed quartet kicking above the banquet table.

Justice will be served, Gemma promised herself as she did whenever she ate. Revenge had hardened her, but it was slow. Years of practicing her accent, her manners, which utensils to use, had honed her for the mission. A lord with a grudge against Algernon Blackstone had presented her to the widower as a cousin. Lecherous Lord Blackstone hadn’t wasted a week before wedding himself to the teenaged Gemma.

“The cook will be finished with breakfast shortly. Can I cut you some bread and spread it for you?” Reginald asked. The eighty year old butler’s perfect posture contrasted the bent back of Lord Blackstone.

“Yes please,” Gemma nodded.

Fresh bread, hot from the oven, steamed as the bread knife sawed through it. The wedge shaped slice belied distraction as the butler watched the dining room door expectantly. Normally his every cut was perfect.

“Something on your mind, Reginald?” Algernon Blackstone asked, raising a greying eyebrow.

“Just an anniversary of sorts Lord Blackstone.” Glowing life Gemma had never seen sparkled in Reginald’s red veined eyes. His smile unnerved her. Watching the door, she gripped a butter knife with white knuckles. What are you up to?

The ancient doors whined on hinges that needed to be oiled as the cook entered with a covered tray. Walking down the table Camila set the tray down at the end. The silver dome revealed two matchlock pistols. Both were loaded and ready to fire.

“Reginald? Camila? What is this?” Lord Blackstone’s voice was outraged. He tried to stand, shaking, but broke into a fit of coughing.

The butler and cook began laughing. Camila took both pistols, handed one to Reginald and aimed hers at Gemma.

“Do you remember the girl you had drowned for spilling soup in your lap?” asked Camila. She waited for recognition in the lord’s eyes. “You don’t, do you?” Victory morphed into outrage on the cook’s face. “Was my daughter’s life so forgettable to you?”

“I don’t-” Lord Algernon began.

“Soup!” Reginald yelled. “Spilled soup.” He leveled his pistol at Lord Blackstone. “You could have beaten her. You could have locked her in the stocks. You could have simply fired her. No! You killed her. Our beautiful girl drowned over fucking soup!” Reginald’s forever grey face was red. Veins throbbed in his forehead.

“She was your daughter?” Algernon asked, looking from the butler to the cook to Lady Blackstone.

“Our only daughter.” Camila nodded. “Who you killed twenty years ago today.”

“Twenty years?” Gemma asked, unable to stop herself. “You waited twenty years? He killed my family seven years ago and I was nearly done with him.” Camila’s gun aimed at her heart as she pointed at the painting above the table.

“You commissioned that painting yourself,” Reginald said. He waved his free hand at Justice Will Be Served.

“To remind me of the mother, father, sister, and brother he had hanged.” Palms raised, Gemma pushed herself out of the gilded chair she’d been sitting in three times a day for years.

“Your maiden name was Sinclair,” Camila snarled. “I was here when Lord William Sinclair delivered you to Lord Blackstone.” With every word Gemma saw the old woman working herself up to shooting Gemma. To him she was as guilty as Lord Blackstone.

“He hated Algernon. I told Lord Sinclair my marriage to Lord Blackstone would be his downfall. William was only too happy to help.”

“I’ll have you all hanged,” said Lord Blackstone. He slammed a gnarled first into the table and winced. Convulsing, he clutched at his chest.

“You’ll never hurt anyone again,” Gemma told him. “I’ve been seeing to that for months.” She turned to Reginald. “I’ve been poisoning his morning whiskey.”

“What?” said Lord Blackstone, the butler and the cook as one.

“It’s no coincidence he can barely move,” said Gemma, looking from Reginald to Camila. “It’s the poison.”

“You told me you believed in justice,” wheezed Algernon Blackstone.

“I do,” said Gemma. Her face releasing all of the anger she’d held in for years. “Justice for my mother Angela. For my father David. For my sister Alice. For my brother Darren. All murdered so that you could make a point.” She prodded his chest. His hand moved to catch her finger at a snail’s pace. There’s poison in my Janelle Number Five perfume. I’ve been adding a drop to your whiskey since I bought the rat killer from a farmer at last year’s summer fair.”

“He stole from me. I had to set an example,” said Lord Blackstone of her father. “Do you know how many one handed thieves there were walking about in the town? Making a mockery of justice, of the law.” He looked at the painting, unrepentant. He gathered his resolve.

“Then you should have whipped him. Locked him in the stocks. Banished him.” Gemma’s voice was colder than the iron bars on Blackstone Castle’s windows in midwinter.

“I have a responsibility to uphold the law of the land. A liar like you could never understand. Lords maintain order. Otherwise there would be chaos.” He caught his wife’s eye, imploring. “It was nothing personal, Gemma. I didn’t know you.”

“That’s the problem, Algernon. It’s never personal. Life means nothing to you. Their daughter meant nothing to you.” Lady Blackstone waved a hand at the butler and the cook. “It’s personal for us and everyone who’s had their life destroyed by your twisted vision of justice.”

“You’re serious, aren’t you?” Reginald asked. “Camila, take the gun. I have to know.” He handed his pistol to the woman who had prepared every meal Algernon had eaten for twenty years. His coattails flicked as he flitted through the dining hall door. His footsteps retreated, clattering along the flagstones.

“Gemma,” said Lord Blackstone. Desperation was writ large in his bulging eyes. “You’ve been my wife for five wonderful years. I’ve loved you with all my heart. I’ve had the hard task of keeping the peace in these parts but I’ve never meant you harm. Gemma I love you. Please, don’t do this.” He pressed his palms together. “In the name of God, spare me.”

“God?” Gemma scoffed. “Love?” She slapped the table, giving Algernon and Camila a fright. “You would have hung me with the rest of my family if I hadn’t been checking the family crab traps. I returned to find my entire family on the gallows on your order. I watched them hang because you had decreed it.” Tears of anger ran through her powder makeup. “God may have said thou shalt not steal, but I’m sure he gave precedence to thou shalt not kill. You have a lot of blood on your hands Lord Blackstone.” At his title Gemma turned on the stately accent which had been slipping as she told her story.

“Don’t think I trust you,” said the cook to Lady Blackstone. “I’ve watched you playing the doting wife for years. I’ve seen you fawning over this monster. I’ve heard you praise his firm hand for the law.” The grey hair of the old woman was slick with sweat that beaded on her forehead.

“That’s all it was, Camila. An act. You must have known my mother Angela. And me. My name is Jenny. Jenny Fisher. I lived in Blackstone until the day he hung my family. I ran to Windshore to escape. I learnt to copy Lord Sinclair, working in his kitchen. I learnt the way the gardener poisoned foxes and rats. I formed a plan. I convinced Lord Sinclair to pass me off as his own to spite Lord Blackstone.” Jenny Fisher took a deep breath before her next admission. “Then I killed Lord Sinclair.”

“What?” Algernon turned to look at her. “A murderess in my bed all these years.”

“I was in good company as far as that goes,” Jenny said coldly. “The lesser of two evils. Lord Sinclair was no saint himself.” She chewed her nail as the sound of Reginald’s perfectly shined shoes returned.

“I don’t know what’s in this bottle,” said the butter holding up the exquisite green glass. “But it’s not perfume. It’s certainly not Janelle Number Five.”

“None of it touched you, did it?” Jenny asked. “A drop is dangerous. Three is death.”

“She’s telling the truth?” Camila asked. The gun aimed at Lady Blackstone lowered from Jenny’s heart to her stomach. “This is too much.”

“Lord Blackstone has no shortage of enemies. That’s no secret.” Reginald took a gun from his wife and sat heavily five seats down from the lord and lady of the castle.

“How can we know for sure she’s telling the truth?” Camila asked. “We’ve waited all these years. I’m not letting revenge slip away after all that time. I want to see the light leave his eyes. I want to watch his soul leave this husk on the way to Hell.”

“Camila, please.” Algernon’s lip quivered.

“You shut your murderous mouth, Lord Blackstone. I want nothing but death from you.” Camila stretched her arm from point black until the barrel was one chair from the wretch who’d brought them all together.

“Let me do what I was planning to do.” Jenny tilted her head as her mother had when she’d haggled with sellers. “He drinks from that bottle. As much as he likes. We can all watch justice be done. That way you’ll know.”

“GEMMA!” Algernon Blackstone tried to stand and coughed up mucus and blood for his futile efforts.

“My name is Jenny. Jenny Fisher. Always was. Always will be. Daughter of Angela and David. Sister to Alice and Darren. I want you to know that as you die.” Her dress, green silk and cotton, fluffed her out to twice the size as she stood by his side. “We have glasses. Let me serve him.”

“No. I’m not drinking anything you give me,” Lord Blackstone said with steel in his voice.

“Then let them shoot you. I’m sure that hurts more,” said Jenny with a cruel smile. “Whether you die isn’t up for debate, husband. Your choice now is how you want to go.” Reaching across the long table she took an empty glass and opened her hand, waiting for the green bottle in Reginald’s grip. When he handed her the former perfume container she poured a shot of it into the waiting glass and handed it to Lord Blackstone.

Silence took a seat beside them at the table and waited patiently. Harsh winds from across the sea could scarcely be heard over the sound of the host’s labored breathing.

Algernon Blackstone stared at the clear liquid in the glass, pure as water. His hand trembled. “I can’t smell it,” said the lord of Blackstone Castle.

“That was the point, husband.” The woman he’d known as Gemma for years watched him expectantly.

“This or a gun wound?” He asked, raising the glass of death.

“You could jump from the battlements onto the rocks if you like,” said Camila. “I’ve dreamed of pushing you off them for years.”

“Justice will be served,” said Lord Algernon. His shoulders sank. “Is it too late to say that I’m sorry?” He looked from one executioner to another.

“No,” said Reginald. “But it’s far too late for an apology to get you out of this.”

Algernon coughed. Closing his eyes he nodded. “Well I’m sorry anyway. I tried to see the world in black and white. It was easier that way.” He swirled his doom in the glass. “It tasted fine in whiskey. If I’m to go, can it be in bed? One last sleep?”

“What do you think?” Reginald asked Camila.

“As long as it’s done.” The cook nodded.

“Back to bed then, Lord Blackstone.” The butler took the glass from Algernon’s shaking hands, gave it to his wife then wheeled his master away.

Jenny walked behind Reginald with Camila’s gun aimed at her back. The butler helped the lord into his four poster bed. Jenny filled the rest of the glass with amber alcohol and handed it to her husband.

“Looks delicious,” said Lord Blackstone. He gave them all a vicious smile. “I forgive you for murdering me. Hopefully you can all find peace together, knowing what you did. What you are.” Laughing through a cough, he drank down his whiskey.

“Trying to divide us with your last words?” Jenny sat by Lord Algernon’s side. “How you. Just remember my family as you die.” She took his hand, already immobile.

“And our daughter,” said Camila.

“He can’t talk,” said Jenny. “He’s not breathing. This is the end.” She looked into Algernon’s bulging eyes. “Justice is served.”

Lord Blackstone’s chest stopped moving. He twitched weakly then ceased.

“Is he dead?” Reginald asked.

“No. Not yet. But it is inevitable now.” Jenny closed the liver spotted eyelids of her husband. His skin was cold. Her fingers on his neck felt the beat of his heart slowing to a stop. “It’s done.” 

“I thought I would feel something.” Camila looked at Reginald. “I thought I would feel some peace at last.”

“What now?” Reginald asked.

“Breakfast?” Lady Blackstone suggested. The day had not gone as planned. She had two loose ends to tie off and always planned better on a full stomach.

January 01, 2024 17:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

74 comments

Martin Ross
18:24 Jan 04, 2024

I felt the dying — great job of evoking the grueling, draining, agonizing process, as well as the cold though understandable implacability of Blackstone’s avengers.

Reply

Graham Kinross
19:26 Jan 04, 2024

Thanks Martin. The first line came to me when I was reading the prompts so I had to see where it took me.

Reply

Martin Ross
21:54 Jan 04, 2024

I had to play loose on the prompt myself, but I think it worked.

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:59 Jan 05, 2024

I’ll have a look.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
10:06 Mar 11, 2024

Love this one.

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:11 Mar 11, 2024

Thank you Darvico.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
14:26 Mar 09, 2024

You on AWOL?

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:13 Mar 10, 2024

Editing a book just now. That’s been taking up a lot of time. How are you?

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
13:31 Mar 18, 2024

Fine. Wishing you the best.

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:46 Mar 18, 2024

Thanks Philip. All the best to you as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
James Moore
12:19 Mar 01, 2024

Wow, really engrossing and readable, amazing job.

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:58 Mar 01, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting James. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Morganroth
20:03 Feb 27, 2024

Wow, now that is a well written story. Thank you!

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:54 Feb 27, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting Chris.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
12:12 Feb 21, 2024

Some thoughts: You are a very creative story teller. The descriptions and depictions of the characters and the motives are well executed. A story of revenge. And yet, I can't help but feel for Jenny for two reasons. One - it's a sad day when you realize all that her mother wanted was for her to live, and live for her family, and despite that. Jenny spent a great deal of her life in her past, unable to move forward and live as her mother would have wanted her to. Revenge is best served cold, but in the process Jenny became cold and her life...

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:30 Feb 24, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting Danie. You have yet another take on this story which has had everyone giving me their own moral take on it. I would have loved more space too go into everyone’s emotional motivations. Your feedback about Lord Blackstone’s emotional response is good. Maybe he was too composed considering everything that was happening to him. Thanks again, Danie.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:45 Feb 16, 2024

That was a journey and a half Graham! A gripping read. If it was a book, I could not have put it down. Vivid language. Powerful stuff. It seems by the time her husband’s murder is achieved Jenny’s terrible experiences have warped her. That made for a great twist. Compulsive.

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:27 Feb 17, 2024

Thanks Helen. I’m glad you enjoyed it. It’s been interesting to see how people judge this morally. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
15:33 Feb 14, 2024

Graham, do you have google docs. i need another pair of eyes to look over a story before a feb 19 deadline.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:33 Feb 14, 2024

mindscapewords@gmail.com Go for it.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:14 Feb 20, 2024

Sorry I didn’t reply in time Jacob. Hopefully someone else did. Better late than never I hope. “Wildcats wondering for prey,” should wondering be wandering? It’s a brutal story to be sure. It does feel as if they’re all being punished in a hell that mimics Earth. Feels like this could be a book where the next chapter is the same events playing out slightly differently. Wondering/wandering was the only possible typo I saw. I hope it went well with this. Sorry again for being late.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
15:06 Feb 10, 2024

Haha wow great revenge piece. You could feel the bitter resentment in all the characters. The death scene was depicted very well. Blackstone's handling of it was very unique. He actually went out like a boss. Like he got the last laugh. Great work, Graham.

Reply

Graham Kinross
17:17 Feb 10, 2024

Thanks Tom. I like that everyone sees this one so differently.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:17 Feb 03, 2024

You can't help but feel for the dead victims and the survivors. You can make many mistakes in life by being too black and white about people. Lord Blackstone had good motives but executed them horribly. Somehow, the ones who got their revenge by wishing death on Lord Blackstone became awful in the process. A thought provoking tale.

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:58 Feb 03, 2024

I like that everyone has judged the morality of this slightly differently. Some people think killing Lord Blackstone is justified. Some think Jenny is the villain by the end. Interesting to see how people interpret this. Thanks for reading it and giving me your take on it Kaitlyn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
17:42 Jan 19, 2024

- "Sunrise painted the rain swept rocks of the castle gold as she poured poison into her husband’s morning whiskey." Often I struggle for the first sentence, I'm amazed how you nailed it, setting the tone, setting the scene. -“It’s Algie, what can I get you?” she asked him in the simpering voice he knew her by. “How is it? Do you feel better?” In my mind, I read this with an old lady's English accent haha. I loved this part because it showed how fake she'd been all this time. Contrasting how he'd known her versus a hidden version (or ve...

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:22 Jan 19, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting on it Belladona. How are you?

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
20:16 Jan 20, 2024

Biking in the snowy streets, freezing my ass off and quite busy with work stuff haha, but overall, good actually. How about you?

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:58 Jan 20, 2024

More dental work. Painkillers and now I’m watching my daughter watch Anpanman while it pours down with rain outside. Not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. The only upside is editing my book during my lunch break. Did you finish your course?

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
17:30 Jan 21, 2024

I hope you get better soon! Nice that you have some time to edit your book. Do you mean my thesis? Not yet, it goes excruciating slow next to my job, and because I am doing extra training for work outside work hours (plus long commuting time), there is even less time available and even less energy. But I will get there, even at a snail's pace, hopefully.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:04 Jan 21, 2024

You will. Little by little. Good luck.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
12:25 Jan 16, 2024

Killing it as usual! Graham if you get a chance please read my new one I've been out of practise. Glad to see you are doing well

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:46 Jan 16, 2024

Thanks Dustin. I’ll take a look.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ferris Shaw
23:25 Jan 11, 2024

The sudden switch back from "Jenny" to "Lady Blackstone" hit hard. Yes, she wanted revenge for her family. But also, she's not so different from her Lord. She killed Lord Sinclair apparently just because it was convenient. She will now kill Reginald and Camilla, if she can, just because it's convenient. They spared her life when they realized her innocent of Lord Blackstone's outrages; she will have no such compunctions towards them.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:47 Jan 12, 2024

I like that you don’t see her as ‘doing what she has to’. People often bend their morality to justify rooting for a protagonist. She’s ruthless and while her quest might have started from a place of righteous anger, she’s become what she hated. The cycle of violence continues. Thanks for reading and commenting Ferris.

Reply

Ferris Shaw
07:45 Jan 12, 2024

I see the vengeance on Blackstone as proper and justified. Perhaps Sinclair was the same, just with different victims. The story doesn't tell us. But when she dirties her hands with innocent blood, she redefines herself. She is no longer an agent of righteous vengeance, but a simple murderess.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:51 Jan 12, 2024

What about the butler and the cook?

Reply

Ferris Shaw
08:07 Jan 12, 2024

As far as I can see, they did nothing wrong. They took proper vengeance against Lord Blackstone. They intended vengeance against Lady Blackstone, which would have been a severe error but not an intentional murder; and when they realized that there was a real possibility that she had nothing to do with her husband's crimes, they spared her.

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:40 Jan 12, 2024

Thank you for reading it and taking the time to comment in such detail. That means a lot to me.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roger Scypion
18:46 Jan 11, 2024

Suspenseful and well written. The tension leading up to Lord Blackstone's death was excellent.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:17 Jan 11, 2024

Thanks Roger.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Cantwell
16:01 Jan 10, 2024

Very good work, thanks for the story. Great prompt for the new year. I picked the same prompt as you it just all folded out for me as well.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:09 Jan 10, 2024

Thanks for commenting. I’ll have a look at yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:55 Jan 09, 2024

Normally, I'm not into murder stories, but this was so well-written. The way you described the two choices Lord Blackstone had for death was impeccable.

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:31 Jan 10, 2024

Thanks Stella. No good options for him in the end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
01:46 Jan 09, 2024

Like others, I really like the first line. It certainly grabs your attention. Blackstone reminds me of my Uncle Charley. And I love the Justice Will Be Served painting. Thinking of stealing that idea for my living room above the fireplace but I can’t say who was hung.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:03 Jan 09, 2024

Best not to say for sure. Thanks Jack. Blackstone reminds you of your uncle? In a good way?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
05:39 Jan 04, 2024

They are into that kind of killing here. Slow and steady is what they call it

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:45 Jan 04, 2024

Scary.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
17:53 Jan 09, 2024

Really scary for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
03:16 Jan 02, 2024

Great suspense building here. I kind of like Jenny, but she’s quite terrifying. That ending is perfect. She has become what she despises. A few typos to fix Lady Gemma Blackstone had everything arranged for. The death of her husband… the full stop (period) is in the wrong place. All about needed to know was that Lord Blackstone was a sick man. (Suggest rewriting this for clarity) The ancient doors whined on hinges that needed oiled (Oiling? To be oiled?) All the best this week and happy new year.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:33 Jan 02, 2024

Thank you for reading, commenting and pointing out my typos. I’ve fixed those. Hopefully you had a happy Christmas and New Year. It’s gone by so fast.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
07:59 Jan 02, 2024

Love the holidays, but it goes too fast sometimes! Hopefully your little bed-fu master had a brilliant Christmas. I sometimes miss that age… then remember that I do like my sleep!

Reply

Graham Kinross
08:16 Jan 02, 2024

As long as she’s well and stuck to her routine during the day my daughter sleeps well most of the time. Apart from the odd kick or punch she doesn’t steal that much of my sleep. Usually it’s housework and getting up early to go to work that steal my sleep. Life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:50 Jan 02, 2024

A gruesome start for the new year. Thanks for liking my 'Hammer Down'. And 'Too-cute Mix-up'. Looks like you are catching up.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:26 Jan 02, 2024

The first line came into my head when I was reading this week’s prompts so I had to go with it. Thanks for reading it and commenting Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.