3 comments

Fiction Coming of Age Adventure

The Locked Door

“Don’t leave the bunker'.'  The words rang in the child's ear. He was no younger than 10 and was told by his parents to get into a bunker. “Whatever you do, don't leave the bunker for any reason,” said his father again. “We’re going to town to get extra supplies,” said his mother. “Be a good boy and make sure this place doesn’t get set on fire or something. We’ll be back soon. We love you”. Just like that, there was a loud bang and the steel door was locked. The kid turned around clutching his stuffed blue lobster toy Snapper more tightly. He didn’t know what happened. All he knew was that his parents drove him here and told him to get into the bunker. 

“Well, Snapper looks like it's just you and me,” said the kid. 

“Don’t worry”, said the kid  in a Snapper voice. Your parents will be back soon. Now, I don’t mean to sound shellfish but I’m starving” 

“Ha ha! Good one Snapper” said the kid. “They’ll be back soon”. 

The kid walks over to the living room. To the right was a sofa, a coffee table and an old television as well as a couple of boxes marked supplies and stuff. To the left was a small kitchen. Shelves with medical and survival textbooks and two doors labeled garden and bathroom. The kid opened some of the cabinets in the kitchen. Inside he found some dishware, some seeds, and a giant bag of salt. He took some chalk he found in one of the boxes and marked a line on the wall and read the numbers.. “Day 1” - “Day 2” - “Day 7” - “Day 35” - “Day 78” - “Day 128” - Day 220” - “Day 398” - “Day 675” “Day 1265” - “Day 1979” - “Day 2567” “Day 3998” - “Day 4567” - “Day 5478”.

The kid, now a man, marks another line on the wall “Day 5479” said the man sitting down on the sofa picking up his journal and pencil writing “Day 5479 I just harvested the lettuce I planted in the garden so I’ll have to make a salad to go with my potatoes”. I hope my bell peppers ripen soon. I'll hate to have scurvy again.” The man looked up and thought to himself after a while he began to write again. “Still no sign of my parents.” The man turned the page of the journal. He realized that it was the last page of the book and he threw it down onto a stack of four other journals.

The man looked to his left at a dirtier Snapper. “So how has your day been Snapper?” The man imitating Snappers' voice said “same as yours, stuck in a bunker!” “Wow” said the man talking to the toy. “What’s wrong little guy” “Sorry!” said Snapper, “I guess I’m a little crabby.” “Your a lobster” said the man “ “I know” said Snapper “I just want to go outside ''I'm not Crazy” said the man “My parents told me not to leave the bunker and wait for them to come back, which I’m sure is any day now.” The kid got up from the couch and walked over to the table. On the table were a few leaves of lettuce and a boiled potato. He sat down onto an old barstool and prayed. “God may you bless this meal with your love and such.” said the man. The man cut open the potato and took a bite. He made a disgusted face and thought to himself Its been 576 days since I ran out of salt.

The next day the man was watching an old VHS tape for the 1000th Time. The man simply stares at the TV blindly and dead eyed knowing every single word he mumbled before the TV said them. Suddenly the TV went static. “What the what…. the what” said the man. He got up from the couch and walked towards the TV to hit it until it worked again like he had done 100 times before. As he walked towards the TV he stepped on an old fruit tin. He fell down and hit his head on the hard concrete floor falling unconscious.

The man opened his eyes and groaned “Ow, that is definitely the last time that will happen” The man turned around to see a man in a giant blue lobster costume. “Snapper?” said the confused man. “Yes it is me” said Snapper “really”, because you look like a guy in a lobster costume” said the man chuckling to himself. Snapper took out his claw and pinched him. “Ow” said the Man. “Listen” said Snapper “You have to leave this bunker, you're losing your mind, having conversations with toys is not cute anymore.” “Arrrgh” said the man for the last time I’m not leaving the bunker. My parents said I’ll be safe here until they come back.” “They’re not coming back!” said Snapper. The man looked at Snapper in shock. “Your parents said they would be back soon. 5480 days is not soon. I'm sorry but they're not coming back.” The man looked down and started to cry. “I know,” said the man. “You do” said Snapper “Then why have you persisted to stay in this bunker for so long?” “Because I don’t know what’s out there! It could be a nuclear wasteland, robots could have enslaved humanity, I could be the last human, maybe it’s better not to know.”. Snapper put his claw on his friend's shoulder whispering in his ear “I know it's scary but you have two choices: die in this bunker or die out there” he said pointing towards the door “and maybe have a great life” Snapper backed away and the man looked up. “It's time to get out of your shell Conner” said Snapper. Conner looked back at Snapper. “I knew you were going to say that,” said Conner.

Conner woke up and lifted himself off of the floor and headed towards the closet. He put on a long overcoat and thick pants. He put on a gas mask and hood before heading toward the door. Before he got there he grabbed Snapper and unlocked the door and took a deep breath before heading out. He was shaking so much that he could barely breathe. “I can do it,” said Conner. He then pushed the unlocked door open before being blinded by light. 

After his eyes adjusted to the light, Conner was greeted not with the wasteland he imagined but rather a quiet forest full of trees. Conner could only look on in amazement; this was the first time he had ever seen a plant that wasn’t lettuce, pepper, carrot or potato. He looked up expecting to see the sun but instead it was cloaked with clouds. He guessed living in a bunker for a decade would affect his eyes. Suddenly a drop of water fell onto his mask. Conner was shocked it was beginning to rain. More and more drops fell as Conner took off his mask and his overcoat as the rain became a downpour. The drops trickled down his face. He held out his arms holding Snapper and laughed out loud he had never been this happy.

As he was prancing around the field a voice suddenly appeared. “What are you doing out in the rain?” the voice said. Conner turned around in shock to see a woman wearing a raincoat with a small child. Staring at the 2 people he whispered to himself “Thank you God, thanks an awful lot”.

February 22, 2022 04:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Susan Whitlock
21:21 Mar 02, 2022

I wish I could finish - but you need to learn some punctuation and grammar - left out commas, close quote, periods, etc. Also changed tenses a few times. No matter how great the story - how it is formatted matters. I think you show a lot of imagination and creativity - learn grammar and punctuation - KEEP WRITING!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charlie Murphy
04:25 Mar 01, 2022

Great story but the dialogue needs broken up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike H
01:59 Feb 28, 2022

Is this a late submission to the contest for the story titled locked door? lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.