1 comment

Drama Historical Fiction Creative Nonfiction

France 1918

Staring at the now limp form, lying on the trench floor in front of him, Bert began to shake uncontrollably.

Looking down at the rifle in his hands, he recoiled in horror at the shock of what he had become, and as he tossed the weapon to the ground, it now became clear to him as to what he had to do.

Australia 1913

Looking down at the young child lying on the roadway, a feeling of anger and disbelief began to surge through the mans body like a tidal wave.

All that he had been taught to believe in, was now crushed and broken like the small body in front of him.

Raising his head to the sky, he opened his mouth to speak, but like a wounded animal all he could do was howl in pain, as he slowly dropped to his knees. 

Finally composing himself, in a quiet voice he asked,

“Why have you done this to me, is this my payment for all I have sacrificed for you.”

By this time, a small crowd had gathered, quietly bowing their heads in respect for the small child.

Many who knew the man, felt pity for him and his loss, but also for the sad realization that his faith had failed him.

France 1918

“What’s wrong with old mate,” asked the new soldier, pointing along the trench as he settled down into his position on the muddy floor.

Glancing over at the digger sitting by himself, his companion said.

“Oh, you mean old Bert, he’s had some sort of a death wish ever since he arrived here.”

Then changing to a more serious tone, he continued in a whisper.

“They say a long way back, he was training for the clergy, and just when he was about to head to New Guinea as a missionary with his family, his kid was killed right in front of his eyes…never got over it, now he volunteers for every patrol that comes along.”

Looking back along the trench, the new soldier could now see Bert asleep in the darkness, his helmet pulled down over his eyes, his hand instinctively resting on his rifle beside him. 

Reports of a massive push by the Germans had been expected over the last couple of days, and all the troops were on high alert expecting an attack that could come at any time.

Small patrols had been sent out into No Mans Land during the night, to try and get an idea of the strength of the troop build-up, but they had been forced back by heavy sniper fire, leaving the Allies with no idea as to when the attack would begin.

“How would you get over something like that,” exclaimed the boy, “you’d definitely have to wonder if there was a God.”

“Lad, I think he’s been testing that theory since he’s been over here,” replied the older soldier, “and at this rate, he might find out if he’s not too careful.” 

Suddenly their conversation was interrupted by a series of flares that shot up illuminating the night sky.

Before the two men had time to react, Bert was on his feet, rousing the men along the line, and on arriving at the young diggers said.

“Hurry up you two, get on the parapet now, and keep your heads down.”

Waiting quietly, they all watched as a volley of smoke shells were dropped into No-Mans Land, making for an eerie setting, as the mist drifted across in front of them.

As the light of the flares slowly faded, they all knew what was about to follow.

When the first wave of German infantry burst through the billowing haze, there seemed like no way of holding them back.

The fighting was relentless, with machine guns cutting swathes through the attacking enemy, but they continued to advance at a frightening pace.

Out of the chaos a group of Grenadiers made their way through the maelstrom, the enemies appearance causing panic amongst the defenders as they breached the trench.

The young soldier completely taken by surprise, cowered on the ground as one of the attackers moved towards him and thrust a bayonet into his chest.

As he was about to pull the bayonet from the boys body, Bert clubbed him to the ground with the butt of his rifle.

Lying dazed in the mud, he looked up at Bert who had drawn his rifle back and was ready to plunge his bayonet through the man’s chest, when all of a sudden, he was stopped by the sight of something.

Holding the tip of the bayonet against the mans body, he reached forward and tore open the man’s tunic, to reveal a silver crucifix.

Looking to the Germans face, then to his chest, he stood there confused, and then as if repelled by the cross, slowly staggered back and slumped down against the trench wall, tears forming in his eyes.

The German clearly confused and not able to understand what was happening, began to move, at first Bert leveled his rifle, then lowering it, indicated for him to go. 

As the German turned, and tried to climb up out of the trench, a shot rang out, and he fell back at Bert’s feet.

Staring at the now limp form lying on the floor of the trench in front of him, Bert began to shake uncontrollably.

Looking down at the rifle in his hands, he recoiled in horror at the shock of what he had become, and as he tossed the weapon to the ground, it now became clear to him as to what he had to do.

6 Months later - Chaplains Department

“Glad to finally have you along with us,” said the Major, “you do realize that with your background, you could have signed up, volunteered as a padre, and totally avoided the front line.”

“Thank you, Sir,” replied Bert, “I’m very glad to be onboard, and yes I know that would have been the logical thing to do, but….”

The Major seeing the hesitance in his reply, quickly cut him off.

“Look, as I always say, it doesn’t matter how you find your way, just as long as you get there in the end.”

“So now down to business, some of the men are going on leave, and we are planning on having a talk tonight, on…um...ethics and the local culture, do you think you could look after that.”

With a smile, Bert looked at the Major and said, “Yes Sir, I think I should be able to handle that.”

July 16, 2021 12:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Crystal Lewis
13:04 Jul 20, 2021

I liked your description of the trench wars. It felt quite real like I was there so very well done! I don’t usually recommend my stories but I did a similar sort of one called “War” also inspired by trench wars. Horrible things they were :/

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.