Where The Memories Stay Behind

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Everything seemed perfect as if I was in a fairytale, where no evil Villian can destroy this happy ending. It was only me, and my love who happened to have a strong connection that spread like wildfire. The times were endless, it was just us promising a forever that would last an eternity. Later, that evening I decided to invite him to this place that I happen to endure and cherish.

"Come, on I have to show you something follow me!" sounding very thrilled.

"Okay, but where are you taking me?" he asked curiously.

"First, close your eyes and I will let you know when to open them."

As I was covering his eyes and being careful that I won't trip on some stones. A vast part of me was delighted to introduce him to this grand place in which means the world to me. Nobody, in this entire world, would come upon this beauty except for me and the love of my life. As we finally arrive I slowly remove my gentle hands off his face.

"You can open your eyes sweetheart."

"Alright!"

"What a spectacular place sweetheart!" he was in shock.

"It's just an incredible feeling being able to share this special place with you!"

"This place is truly a remarkable sweetheart!" He tells me with a sweet and tender voice.

Nothing, at that moment, could ever ruin it. As we were walking down the nature trail our hands were tied together. I pause, and a part of me can picture us being here till the end of our times. Being able to experience this, and show our kids and grandkids of this remarkable place that this location was where I and he fell deeply in love with the memories being remained here. As we approach a bench nearby, we finally sit down and acknowledge our surroundings; however, there seems to capture of my attention on the look on his face. The bright smile was slowly fading away, and it seemed that something was bothering him. So I ask him what was going on and what's on his mind.

"Is everything okay sweetheart?" I ask worriedly.

"Well, no my love." He replies with a frown on his face.

"Well, what is it, sweetheart tell me I will understand," I told him trying to comfort him.

"See, I was trying to find the perfect moment to tell you, but it seemed as if there was never a perfect time and place where I can tell you."

"Go on, tell me sweetheart remember I am always here for you no matter how difficult it is," I tell him trying to repeat myself.

"Okay, here it goes." He says with a deep breath sounding anxious.

"The thing is my love is that I have replaced you with someone else because at one point I assumed that you were going to leave me." He told me as tears were running down his face.

"Please, don't say no more and I cannot believe the lengths you went to break me into pieces," I told him crying I was truly broken and it felt as if my heart was shattered into two.

"Please forgive me, and I hope you can find a place in your heart to forgive me." He told me.

"I forgive you but please go away I need time to myself and process everything that just happened," I told him trying to hold myself but it seemed almost impossible.

"Alright, as you wish darling but always keep in mind that you will remain in my heart forever and no one can take that away. " He told me trying to remind himself that I will be a part of him that will never vanish through thin air.

"Before you leave promise me that this will be our place and you will never forget me for as long as the years pass by," I said trying to wipe my tears off my face.

"I promise you that I will never forget this place and you for as long as I shall live." He said

"But, I should probably leave now, and I will miss you." and those were his last words he told me before he left me.

Just like that our beautiful precious love story ended with heartbreak. It broke my heart and it felt as if a big part of me left with him. Forgetting him will be impossible and loving another human being as much as I did with him will be difficult. But I guess that's the beauty of falling in love and having your heart broken in two. Yet, this place will be a reminder of what was once ours and our happily ever after.

Months and years pass by my life have changed quite a bit. I am now in a relationship with a nice man who makes me smile and laugh endlessly. Every moment being there with him makes me forget what heartbreak once felt like. The best of memories that are being shared is being able to gaze at the sky and acknowledge the stars and moon in the dark sky. This is truly the life that I could have ever asked for. As the sun starts to rise, I take time to endure the beautiful morning in which I appreciate doing because every moment is best by witnessing such a beautiful horizon. then, I try to put on my shoes and head to the mailbox and see what came in the mail. Once I have all the mail in my hand I head back inside the house and start to skim through all of them. Yet, there happens to be one letter that is catching my attention wondering who wrote it. As I open it and start I start reading it:

"Dear Katherine,

I wanted to write you this meaningful letter to catch up with you. I know it's been a couple of years since we last saw each other but I felt that it was necessary to tell you that I miss you and that I love you and I always have no matter how many women appeared in my life. Katherine, I remember the years me and you were together and we went to the lake in where you would get each pebble and throw it in the lake and before you threw it there was a wish you had that we would last forever and nothing could break us apart. Unfortunately, my stupid mistake ruined everything and it broke you completely. You didn't deserve having your heart shattered. Anyways, I wanted to inform you that the only love of my life will be you no matter how long the years pass. My love for you is endless and I cannot possibly hide that. Katherine, there is something you should know and that's me leaving to join the military. I didn't want to leave without being able to say one less goodbye and being able to see you in person and chat about how life has been treating you, and I bet it's full of happiness and joy because you deserve it. Once, you're done reading this letter please meet me in the place where we promised each other that we will not forget.

Sincerely, Dominic

P.S. I brought a gift from the pass

As I was done reading the letter, I was in complete shock and confusion. But, why after all these years he comes to the realization? How is it possible that every good thing that happens something unusual occurs. Deep down I knew that it was the right thing to do before Dominic leaves to the military. As I get ready, a part of me is nervous confronting him face to face after all these years of not seeing each other. As I finally arrive in the woods it gives me flashbacks of the memories that were left behind when Dominic once had a part of my heart. There he is standing by the wooden oak tree, and it seems as if he has some sort of item in his hand. As I approach him and tap on his strong right shoulder he turns around and I notice that he has not changed. Still charming as before, and the same blue eyes that I once fell for.

"Hello, Dominic how have you been?" I told him trying really hard not to sound nervous.

"I have been doing pretty good, and it's great to see you after all those years." He said very pleased to see me.

"Yea, it been a long time since we interacted with one another," I said.

"I believe you read the letter I sent you, and I thought you were not going to come thinking it would be ackward seeing me here in the presence." He told me

"Yea, thank you means a lot, that you did that" I replied back

"The reason to which I wanted to meet up with you here at this particular place is that I wanted to say goodbye to you properly and give you this small gift that once was ours," Dominic said trying to clear his throat.

"It was the blue pebble I gave you when we first went our date! I cannot believe you have that after these years." I was honestly very shocked to see that small item from the past that once was.

"You see every small thing that you gave me as a gift, Katherine, I would save it for something special and I needed to give it to you." He said.

"It was a reminder of the love I had for you, and I appreciate it that you have valued it," I told him genuinely because the anger that I had for him vanished a long time.

After talking long hours it was time for both of us to leave and before Dominic left I gave him a hug and thanking him for being the first man to ever give me love and to break me into pieces. But, I knew right there and then that this would be the last time interacting with one another. But the question remains if I did the right thing, and not letting Dominic know how I really felt after all those years?

April 17, 2020 08:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.