4 comments

Creative Nonfiction

The Superannuated Man

Tomorrow was going to be the last day at work. It was so pleasantly announced over a private lunch yesterday. It took a while to sink in. For the last decade, I had worked in this organization, thinking I was this organization, so what makes the gent say I was not required, was just that I had crossed 60 years of age and the law of the land stated I was to be retired, to make room for the youngsters.

I drove up to my place of work in the company-owned Citroen C5, the top end. The engine purred beautifully, the smell of leather still present, something that I had taken for granted over all these years. The winding road to the highway from our villa that I had used hundreds of times looked so new. Hey, there is a new Lebanese pastry shop out there. When did it crop up? And then there is that misspelt laundry shop out there.

I was not going to make this route from tomorrow.

The security guard at the gate smartly saluted and wished me a pleasant day, oh wow, this is the last time I was going to drive into my office premises. Did I say ‘My’ office?

Switched on my Dell laptop, and logged in viewing my first job of the day viewing the WIPs, Work in Progress. Good lord, there were still a lot of cars overstaying their visit to our workshop, I better call the Workshop manager here for a meeting. Then, did it matter? It did, to my conscious it did, as it was my workshop. “My workshop”? I saw myself call the concerned manager for a meeting and he arrived, all smiles. I smiled too but there was something missing , a kind of vacuum inside me. I went through all the pending issues, with he thought somewhere in the corner of my mind that said the person in front of me was just going through the motions!

I suddenly realized it was a damn good software that gave me the pulse of the business instantly. Why didn't I appreciate it all these days?

I walked into the vast showroom to say hello to the guys walking in. It was time they moved the cars around. I liked to change the pattern every week. I used to leave it to the Showroom manager to handle it. It was one of the oldest car showrooms in the country.

It was built without pillars, specifically meant for cars as they could be driven in safely and displayed creating the best effect. Kudos to our Chairman. Did he even know I was asked to retire? We don’t get brain dead do we when we cross 60? There is a greater chance of that after you get retired! Oh, I digress!

The showroom windows looked spotless as usual, just that I seem to be liking the looks of it better today. The new car models looked so good, I opened the door of one of the premium models and the beautiful smell of the leather assailed me. It was a high-end SUV. The clunk of the heavy door was comforting. I mechanically started looking at the dashboard and all the premium features when I was wished by one of the Sales Consultants. The last day here for you Sir? We will miss you he says!

I broke out of my reverie and went over to the Showroom managers desk and asked him to show me the days routine. I was a tad disappointed to see he was not prepared. I took a small session on customer qualification with the team, announcing it was the last time I was talking to them. Some of them were surprised and I am sure some were relieved. I felt strange speaking to them this time although I had done it so many times before, I confess I got a bit emotional and rushed off to the Parts division.

I had a chat with the manager, who was aware I was leaving, I walked with him on my last round of inspection of the bins, saw all the parts neatly stocked, with RFID and made my trip to the workshop.

This was the daily routine that I used to call the MBBWA, which stood for Managing Business By Walking About. I learnt so much during my sojourns and today was even better. I came across a senior member from the workshop floor after exchanging peasantaries, he said he had a suggestion. The distance between our Workshop and the Parts counter would take 10 minutes one way and the waiting time at the Parts counter would average 15 minutes, that’s 35 minutes lost! He said it would be great If I could think of something towards better utilization. Great idea I said and asked him if it was in the Customer suggestion box. He said the box was removed a week ago! I had not noticed it! I went back and corrected the situation and scheduled a meeting to resolve the issue the same day as tomorrow…..

Gosh! It was a large space we owned. MBBWA principle was handy as I could spot the extra dusty cars and query why they had grown whiskers standing in our lot. The responses used to be varied and interesting, to say the least. Innovation had also crept into inefficiency as I had one workshop manager have all the cars he did not want me to notice tidied up. That WIP Software put an end to such deviousness. Will I be missing this tomorrow? Oh hell yes! Never thought I would ever say it when I used to be snowed under.

I noticed every human being has his or her own set of routines. I was watching some of our staff leave for lunch, in their world, what would they feel f it was their last day at work?

I looked down at the tarred surface, it had picked up the heat from the morning sun of the middle east. I could smell it. Looking around I saw a Murenga tree full of Murenga vegetables, ripe and ready to be cooked. I hope someone uses it. Looking around I saw lush foliage and wondered about the chaps looked after them. Pity I never met them.

Back in my office after wishing the chaps at the workshop, I was looked around and was feeling down, I did not want to leave, it meant I had to leave the country I loved. I had to go back to the country I had left for 25 years. I must make the most of the days I had left. 

We get ever so busy going through our daily routines that we forget to look into the smaller details. It is only when you are deprived or going to be deprived of something that you miss its presence in your life.

I decided to be happy, drop the past and live in the present moment. I wanted to look at every day as a new day.

On my way back home I stopped at the pastry shop and picked up some goodies for the family.

July 07, 2021 12:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Constance Mudore
07:43 Jul 15, 2021

I like how you capture the stark transition posed by retirement. Retirement is a kind of death. The character came to terms with letting go somewhat quickly, don't you think?

Reply

Bob Seshadri
02:51 Jul 16, 2021

Redundancy is a reality that we need to come to terms with and move on. Mind loves to seek comfort by being the victim.Letting go is a skill acquired through knowledge and awareness. Thank you for reading the piece Constance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bob Seshadri
02:51 Jul 16, 2021

Redundancy is a reality that we need to come to terms with and move on. Mind loves to seek comfort by being the victim.Letting go is a skill acquired through knowledge and awareness. Thank you for reading the piece Constance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bob Seshadri
02:51 Jul 16, 2021

Redundancy is a reality that we need to come to terms with and move on. Mind loves to seek comfort by being the victim.Letting go is a skill acquired through knowledge and awareness. Thank you for reading the piece Constance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.