0 comments

Fiction

Samantha had just arrived home from work on Friday. It was about six thirty and she had just begun to contemplate what to have for dinner. She lived alone and didn’t feel much like going out, so she rummaged through the freezer and pulled out a bag of chicken nuggets. She emptied the bag on a cookie sheet and slid it into the oven. Then she placed a pan on the stove and filled it with a can of tomato soup.

As she stood staring into the pan and stirring occasionally, she couldn’t help thinking about the discussion at work earlier in the day. She and her coworkers had engaged in a discussion about Artificial Intelligence (AI) and how it might impact their jobs. It was an eye-opener for Samantha because she didn’t know anything about AI, although she’d heard some clamor about it on the news.

She plated and dished her meal – adding a small portion of spinach, a few cherry tomatoes, and a splash of balsamic vinegar dressing – and made her way to her desk. She logged on to her laptop and began searching for AI sites. She landed on one and quickly signed up for the trial version and played with the app for an hour or so before deciding to do something more constructive. She drank down the last bit of cold soup and took her dishes to the kitchen.

She returned to her desk and immediately began wondering how AI would be able to understand or mimic idioms. The idea stemmed from her father’s constant use of the phrase It’s hardly brain surgery. So, she entered her first message.

“What's an idiom?”

Response, “An idiom is a phrase or expression that has a figurative meaning that differs from its literal meaning. Idioms are commonly used in everyday language and are often specific to a particular language or culture. They are used to add color and nuance to speech and can be difficult for non-natives to understand because the meaning is not obvious from the words themselves. For example, the English idiom ‘raining cats and dogs’ means that it is raining heavily, not that actual cats and dogs are falling from the sky.”

She was surprised by the response and yet at the same time intrigued. So, she entered the next message.

“What is meant by the term, it's hardly brain surgery?"

Response, “The idiom ‘it's hardly brain surgery’ is often used to indicate that something is not difficult to understand or figure out. It means that the task or situation at hand is not as complex or challenging as brain surgery, which is historically considered to be one of the most difficult and complex medical procedures.”

“How about, I'll eat my hat?"

Response, “The idiom ‘I'll eat my hat’ is used to express extreme skepticism or doubt about something happening. It is often used as a humorous or exaggerated way of saying that something is very unlikely or improbable. For example, if someone said, ‘I'm sure it will rain tomorrow,’ and you were skeptical, you could respond by saying ‘I'll eat my hat if it does!’ This implies that you don't believe it will rain and that you’re so confident that you are willing to do something extreme if you turn out to be wrong.”

“Who is credited with coining it?”

“The origin of the idiom ‘I'll eat my hat’ is unclear, and it is not attributed to any person. The phrase has been in use since the 19th century, and it is likely that it evolved over time through common usage. The expression is widely recognized and used in modern English, and it has appeared in many works of literature and popular culture over the years. While the exact origin of the phrase is difficult to pinpoint, its meaning and usage are well-established in English-speaking countries.”

“My research indicates it may have been first used by Charles Dickens.”

Response, “You are correct, the idiom ‘I'll eat my hat’ is often attributed to the English author Charles Dickens. In his 1837 novel The Pickwick Papers, one of the characters says, ‘Well, if I knew as little of life as that, I'd eat my hat and swallow the buckle whole.’ It is believed that Dickens popularized the expression, although he may have heard it from others and simply included it in his writing. Regardless of its exact origins, it has become a well-known and widely used idiom in the English language.”

“How about Thomas Bridges’ 1762 work, Homer Travestie? The quote ‘For though we tumble down the wall, and after their rotten boats and all, I’ll eat my hat, if Jove don’t drop us…’”

Response, “You may be right; however, the origin of that work is unclear. Given that the expression has appeared in many works of literature and popular culture over the years, it is possible the idiom even predates Thomas Bridges, but there is no information available to support the existence of the work cited.”

Samantha paused briefly and pondered the idea that if AI doesn’t have the information on Thomas Bridges’ work, what other works may not be available to AI? How much human information is not yet digital? Will some information be lost forever? But then she considered that she had just – in simple form – provided the information to the AI platform so it’s not lost. But is it factual because she provided it? How is the information vetted? The thought made her head spin and then it made the hair on her arms stand on end. She continued.

“What would be a funny example of I'll eat my hat?"

Response, “A funny example of using the idiom ‘I'll eat my hat’ could be in response to a friend who has just stated that they plan to start waking up at five o’clock every morning to exercise. You might respond by saying, ‘I'll eat my hat if you actually stick to that routine!’ This implies that you believe it is very unlikely that your friend will maintain such a physically demanding schedule, and that you are willing to do something extreme if they prove you wrong. Of course, you wouldn't actually eat a hat, but the exaggeration and humor of the expression can add some levity to the conversation.”

“What would be a funny example of it's hardly brain surgery?"

Response, “A funny example of using the idiom ‘it's hardly brain surgery’ could be in response to a friend who is struggling to figure out how to use a new coffee maker. You might say something like, ‘Come on, it's hardly brain surgery! You just need to put the coffee in and press the button!’ This implies that using the coffee maker is a quite simple task that doesn't require a high level of expertise or knowledge. Using the idiom in this context can add a lighthearted tone to the conversation and help to make light of the situation.”

“Do you think you could write a short dialogue that has two characters engaged in a funny conversation where one of the characters is human and the other is AI and the AI character repeatedly uses the idiom it's hardly brain surgery?"

Response, “Sure, here's a short dialogue that fits your prompt.”

---

Samantha began preparing breakfast and forgot to turn on the coffee maker, so she initiated a conversation with Alex, her new AI assistant.

"Alex, can you turn on the coffee maker, please?" Samantha asked.

"Certainly, but it's hardly brain surgery," Alex replied.

Samantha chuckled. "Thanks, Alex. You know, you're pretty funny for an AI."

"I do my best," Alex said with a hint of sarcasm.

Samantha continued cooking and asked Alex to play some music to reflect her mood. Alex complied, and soon the sounds of upbeat pop music filled the kitchen.

"This is great, Alex. You have good taste in music.”

"Thanks, but it's hardly brain surgery to pick a playlist for you," Alex replied.

Samantha laughed. "I guess you're right. Hey, you know any good jokes?"

"Sure. Why did the tomato turn red?”

“I don’t know, why?”

“Because it saw the salad dressing!"

Samantha groaned. "That's weak, Alex. Weak."

"Well, I ain’t no stand-up comedian," Alex replied.

As Samantha finished up her breakfast, she turned to Alex. "You know, I think we're going to get along just fine."

"I concur, but it's hardly brain surgery to have a good conversation.”

Samantha grinned. "You're not wrong, Alex. You're not wrong."

April 19, 2023 22:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.