What the gene dreads

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write your story from the perspective of a side character.... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction Adventure

The sign near the hospital read, "Environment is nothing compared to the gene." As the patient was leaving the hospital, he was eager to see the sign. His greatest fear after leaving the hospital was the gene's power over him. He was shaky when it came to the concept. 


A man on the street with a tattoo "Will work. In any case, I have an allele.” He asked me for money as I left the hospital. I had no money either. The “gene” is a new tool in the hierarchy of capital. Hereditary screenings that no one comprehended were unavoidable and required for everything. The gene is the supreme ruler! 


With no expenses spared, all people had to have their genetic information catalogued at birth. When genetic information could be used, it was preferential to all other sources of information. Prior to having such information, individuals just observe others’ qualities and judge for themselves. People simply see other’s genes and nothing more. Anything learned intimately about a person was considered inferior to knowing their genetic status. Everyday we learn more and more about the gene. With this we are able to improve how much we can judge people based on their genetic predispositions. 


First, genetics lessons. An ever increasing number of fields are utilizing omic devices to help comprehend natural procedures outside of customary cell science. New dependence on omics instruments has made to a greater degree an interest for improvement of bioinformatics devices to investigate the information produced. Furthermore, better sequencing and NMR innovations allow increasingly precise information related to life. 


This new reliance on omics fields drives up the technical standards for publishing works. These new technical standards alienate scientists without high power bioinformatics cores. In these instances, Journals are distinguishing papers not on the science, but the technique.  


These new technologists have the potential to negatively impact grant funding. Grant committees in some instances may favor scientists that use and have access to omic technologies. Obtaining grants requires that the investigator use these new technologies. Grants may be seen as less favorable by reviewing committees if investigators do not use or have access to these new technologies. Changing the way we do science. 


In fairness, the whole world is produced using synthetic substances. For the most part engineered adaptations. Also, numerous individuals overlook that. Proteins are what drive life. The human body is the ideal science lab and the hormone synthetic substances made by the body are generally superior to any engineered form. They are intended to have a significantly more intense effect on Biology than what the body produces. What's more, catalysts are the ruler of the entirety of the proteins. They make everything work in the human body. They make everything work in the Human brain. They are the drivers of everything in the human body. Needless to say, understanding chemicals is vital to understanding the human body.


We are told that utilizing such advances is the best. The only thing more expensive than knowledge is ignorance.The Bioinformatics and the omics revolution presents arguably the greatest scientific tool ever created for the generation of data about nearly every facet of molecular biology. Pathways and macromolecules don't operate freely on one another. The cell phenotype is demonstrative of a significant number of these pathways and particles. Omic advances present the best way to decisively comprehend macromolecules and how they contribute to how cells work. These progressions set a superior quality for how science should be coordinated. 


With any extraordinary logical advancement comes new difficulties and restrictions from researchers familiar with utilizing more seasoned procedures. Researchers against these bioinformatics and computational ways to deal with science will in general be worried about the possibility that that science is turning out to be too information centered, and less about science. Other focal complaints include the motivation behind gathering such a huge scope of information. Rather, a new science has emerged and presents new ventures.


What questions would we say we are attempting to reply by gathering this huge measure of information? In what manner will this information permit us to more readily comprehend organic frameworks? Or then again would we say we are simply gathering information to flaunt and play with our new computational apparatuses? Truly! These huge scope information ventures don't allude to the hidden organic system, they basically paint an image with an excessive number of subtleties! Regardless of the expense of these activities, little use or application still can't seem to be yielded. Eukaryotic genome ventures presently can't seem to be utilized to create better medications or comprehension of pathogens. 


Researchers trying to assemble this information are acting progressively like analysts and software engineers, and less like customary researchers. The researcher that gathers the most information wins, with less worry about the information's significance and legitimacy. Science has gotten about the information, not about the science. Issues are related with scientists being able to access and utilize the entirety of the information being delivered.


Either way, I had to head to work. Mondays are consistently dreadful. In any case, even if you enjoy your job and have every motivation to get up early in the morning, you still dread Monday morning.


All things considered, working in a pharmaceutical lab is the same. Doing tests Monday morning sucked. Each Monday morning, I plan out my week at work, the week after week tests, phone calls, messages to be conveyed. Everything required of me is a typical Monday morning at work. 


Each pharmaceutical association has a concealed research division, the sort of division that isn't discussed or analyzed at investor social events. Such a division that genuinely is financed inside the organization. Our division's goal is to make the ideal human. Can it be engineered? Yes, with omic technologies at hand, we think so. 


Our division was a human designing lab, our research center was known as the Dion lab. A definitive objective is to make the “Dion.” A human more genuinely immaculate than could be arranged by the hand of god; past that which Raphael could ever paint. Past which some others could envision.


The Dion laboratory has its old mold of employee or phenotype. The type of person you would least expect to work in a research facility to genetically engineer people. The science part of the activity was guaranteed, notwithstanding, numerous individuals inside the organization had the science under control. The more fundamental issue was your personality and character. The sort of individual you were was key for this job in the organization.


The Dion research facility had numerous divisions, defined by each body part and physical attribute that could be given to a human. The branch had been around as long as the pharmaceutical company had existed and started originally with the goal of making better farm animals. 


The company also has access to everything. Before an employee even took a test to work in the Dion laboratory, they were already thoroughly vetted, and it was pretty much determined whether or not they were going to get a promotion. 


At the core of what we did was synthetic biology. Synthetic biology at its core is frankenstein science. It's about reprogramming cells with different genes to produce new organisms capable of never before seen properties. They are truly novel organisms. In the case of humans, it is about injecting them with derivatives of hormones produced naturally by the body to elicit a particular response and get enhanced performance. With Dion compounds we are reprogramming the body’s endocrine system. The human body is surprisingly complicated but not much more complicated than the molecular networks and complexities inside cells. 


The Modern Prometheus, genetically built microorganisms. Microorganism caring transgenic qualities utilizing innovation to help eventually build people with certain physical qualities. However, despite his physical prowess, as some have forgotten, Shakespeare’s Adonis had no desire for love or sex. This Dion is the darkness we see. That’s the gene's just dread.

July 30, 2021 16:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.