6 comments

Mystery

Just one more hour, she thought, spooning the last of the pudding cup into her mouth. The day had been slow, with only a handful of patients coming in after lunch, which always made the day drag. Not to mention Mr Cartwright and that damn halitosis. It was enough to make anyone gag, but today had been, if it were possible, even worse.

Amelia had taken one sniff and had to excuse herself to rid her stomach of its content. He remained, as usual, utterly oblivious to the reaction opening his mouth caused and would dutifully sit and wait for her and Samantha to catch their breaths during his monthly teeth cleaning.

That was why she’d decided to break into her cache of pudding cups at four in the afternoon, the hollowness in her stomach being too much to bare for another three hours.

“Thought dentists didn’t eat sweets.” Samantha emerged from the small kitchen at the back of the practice, tea in hand and was eyeing the empty cup in her hand.

“We’ll that’s a lie. I probably eat more sugar than half of my patients combined,” she tossed the cup in the rubbish bin and sat in one of the waiting chairs.

From this vantage point it was possible to see that bustling street outside, which was teeming with afternoon foot traffic. People were eagerly shopping after a day’s hard work and already letting themselves unwind from the stress of the week. There was a father, toddler in hand, walking from the pharmacy to the toy store. The excitement on the child’s face was so complete that Amelia found herself smiling.

They passed the benches that lined the courtyard outside and her attention was immediately drawn to the shape seated on the stone bench. It would have been difficult to spot her if she hadn’t been following the father and son, but now that she had, she was sure it was the same woman she’d seen this morning. The tiny hairs at the back of her neck began to rise, sending goose-pimples all over her skin.

“You okay?” asked Samantha, making her jump. She backed away from the window, trying to shake the feeling. Surely it was nothing. Dozens of people sit on those benches every day and this woman was probably just waiting for a friend or lover. “How about we close early today?”

Amelia flicked off the light and closed her office door. Her handbag was slung over one shoulder and the straps were digging into the soft flesh. She reminded herself to remove the extra shoes she kept in there. They came in useful when she wanted to go have a drink after work, but maybe she could just keep an extra pair in the office.

Samantha had been out of the door even before she’d been able to finish suggesting that they leave early. She was young and irresponsible, exactly as it should be and had already told her of the crazy night she was planning on having. Most other forty somethings she knew envied the lives of their younger co-workers, the suffocation of family life all too real when placed against the carefree nights everyone else was having.

But not Amelia. She’d never married and remained childless. All those burdens her friends complained about were an utter mystery to her. She’s never needed the advice of a friend after an argument with a husband and wouldn’t have known what a teacher parent conference entailed to save her life. It was the kind of life that fostered secrets. And of those she had many.

She punched in the alarm code and closed the front door. The sun was beginning to hang low in the sky and caused an almost blinding refection as it shone on the windows. Amelia put on her sunglasses to shield her from the worst of the rays and turned away from the window.

And there she was again.

Still seated on the same bench, but when she spotted Amelia, she rose and began to walk towards her. The foot traffic has eased and there were only a few people still coming in and out of the shops. It was clear that the woman was heading for her.

She walked with purpose, paying no attention to anyone or anything around her. As she approached and her features became more clear, Amelia noticed how young she was, no older than twenty and with a face so sweet it seemed artificial.

“Hi,” she said, flashing her a smile. The woman’s teeth were somewhat crooked, but shone with a pearly whiteness.

“Can I help you?” She hadn’t meant for it to come out so bluntly, but she suddenly felt irritated by the whole situation. All she wanted was to head to the nearest bar and consume an inordinate amount of alcohol.

The woman didn’t answer. She narrowed her eyes, inspecting Amelia for a second and then turned and walked away. Amelia was so stunned that at first she didn’t know what to say and when she was finally able to think of something, the woman had vanished into a small group of people.

Lunatic, she thought. Then she said it.

“Lunatic!” A man walking past gave her a dirty look, mumbling something under his breath. Amelia straightened her shoulders and headed to the corner to find a taxi.

It was five in the morning and her head was pounding. The pain had gotten worse as she sobered and was now threatening to have the drinks from the previous night reappear.


She needed to find her bag, which was easier said than done, since she’d need to find it in the dark, in a strangers bedroom and without vomiting. By the time she’d swallowed the painkillers, her memory of the previous night started to clear.

It was not a night to be proud of and she didn’t want to see the guy’s face again, let alone have some awkward conversation. She quickly dressed and slipped out of the door, but not before spotting the wedding photo that stood on the hallway table. Great.


This was the first break she’d had all day. Samantha had scheduled most of her patients in a three hour window and it was nearly two in the afternoon before she had a moment to herself. She had clearly overdone it this weekend, because two patients had already produced ‘the Mr Cartwright’ response in her this morning.

Rain pelted the front windows and almost no one was out and about today. That’s probably why Amelia spotted her so quickly. The woman stood, umbrella in hand and was once again staring at the practice.

“...and she told Jon that I was-” She interrupted Samantha, the conversation following the same pattern as those she always tried to get Amelia roped into.

“Has she been out there all day?” Samantha came to stand by the window to peered into the rain, straining her eyes to see.

“I’m not sure, can’t say I’ve seen anyone out there today.” That was it. She was getting really sick and tired of this crap.

Amelia threw open the front door and strode towards the woman. She became drenched in seconds. The rain icy as it ran down the back of her dress in cold rivulets.

“Fuck off or tell me what you want!” she had to scream over the sound of the rain. To her surprise, the woman only smiled and moved closer. The light was less harsh today and now Amelia could see that the woman had some familiar features.

The light skin and pointed nose were utterly recognizable.

“You’re exactly as I imagined you,” she said, taking hold of Amelia’s hand and pressing it to her stomach. 

April 13, 2020 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Marq Syler
14:15 Apr 23, 2020

A very good story. At first, from the description, I envisioned a nurse. Then surprised Amelia's a dentist, nice turn. You did an excellent job of showing Amelia's attitude, and her emotional baggage. Her feelings toward some patient's made me think she always wanted to be somewhere else. When Amelia confronted the woman, then we learn why Amelia is so unhappy.

Reply

14:41 Apr 23, 2020

Thanks so much for reading the story. I'm glad you were able to pick up on the subtle hints of her character traits :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ioana Savu
10:42 Apr 23, 2020

A great twist, indeed, as well as a very honest and straightforward style of writing. I enjoyed it!

Reply

13:39 Apr 23, 2020

I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I really appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:36 Apr 20, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:10 Apr 20, 2020

Such a clever way to introduce the main characters with a wonderfully, unexpected twist! Very endearing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.