4 comments

Fiction

One minute I was standing beside my Mom and Dad, and the next minute they were gone. And now I’m in jail. How did this happen?


We’d gone to the carnival. I love going to the carnival. All the smells, all the people, all the food. It is never not an amazing time. Except this time. 


And, did I mention, I’m in jail? 


So, it was early. We’d eaten a light dinner. Mom said that she wanted to be there before it got too busy. Apparently night-time is the busiest time at carnivals. So we set out early. It was close enough that we could walk there. 


It was amazing. There were rides, and games, and people, and music, and sounds, and clowns, and food. Lots and lots of food.


We wandered around for a while, looking at everything. There was so much to see and do. Dad and Mom played a number of games. Mom won a little stuffy — a panda bear. She said that it was mine. I was so excited. You can never have too many stuffies! 


They took me on the ferris wheel. What a blast. We were so high up, I felt dizzy. Mom held me really close, on her lap. I think that she was worried that I would fall out of the seat. I’m squirmy, but I’m not stupid.  Geez!


After the ferris wheel, we got some popcorn. I love popcorn. It’s the best. We were supposed to be sharing, but I’m pretty sure that I got more than either Mom or Dad. Delish!


We walked around some more. There were lots of craft booths, and Mom and Dad did some shopping. Mom got some sparkly silver earrings, and Dad got a belt made out of ostrich leather. Did you know that ostrich leather is the strongest leather in the world? Who knew? And, I am happy to say, I got something, too — a new coat. When it gets cold out, I’m going to be the handsomest boy — or so says Mom. It’s a blue coat and it’s got a hood, so my head will stay dry and warm when it snows. B.P.E — Best Parents Ever!


I hope that I get a chance to wear it. Because, remember — I’m in jail! No one will tell me why I’m here. I keep yelling for someone to talk to me, but they ignore me. I’m thirsty, I’m tired, and I’m scared, and no one is listening to me. I just want to go home.


After we bought my fantastic new coat, we started walking to the other end of the fair. We were supposed to meet Mom and Dad’s friends, Elaine and Sam. I like Elaine and Sam. They are always so nice to me. It’s just the two of them, and I think that they live vicariously through me. Maybe some day they’ll take the plunge, and grow their family. Until then, I’m number one in their books. Being number one is a good thing. It involves gifts, and treats, and sleepovers at their house. 


We did some more walking around. I didn’t go on any more rides, but the grown-ups did. Apparently you have to be “this tall” to ride, and I am not that tall. Elaine and Mom went on the Scrambler, — they screamed so loud. I was a bit worried, but they were laughing while they were screaming, so it was okay. Sam and Dad went on the Roundup — they were strapped into these stand up spaces and the ride went around so fast that I couldn’t even see them. I was dizzy just watching the ride go around and around. I can’t imagine how dizzy Dad and Sam were! Dad and Elaine went on the Crazy Mouse rollercoaster. They were so far up in the sky and moving so fast, that I was glad that I wasn’t “this tall” to ride.


After all the rides we went to the beer gardens. I am technically and absolutely not supposed to go in there, but Mom and Dad snuck me in, and no one said anything, so it was good. Everyone had beer, except me, of course. I has some water. There was talking, and langhing. It was so much fun.


When we were leaving the Beer Gardens, Elaine and Mom had to find the washroom, so Dad and Sam stood around waiting. That was when I first realized that something was wrong. I tried to get Dad’s attention, but he was busy talking to Sam. Mom and Elaine came back, and they decided to go to the Fortune Teller’s tent. I didn’t know what that was, but Dad and Sam said it was a waste of money, but Mom and Elaine were determined. They were sure it was going to be fun. 


Then they were gone. It just took a second, and boom, I was standing all alone, my parents nowhere to be seen. I looked around. There were lots and lots of people, but no Mom and no Dad. I started to panic. Maybe if I could find the Fortune Teller I would be able to find them. I can’t read, and I didn’t know what a Fortune Teller was, but I know what panicking was. And I was doing it. I couldn’t just stand there waiting to be found. 


As it turns out, that’s exactly what I should have done. But I didn’t. I started walking the way that I thought they had gone. I walked by all kinds of stuff — rides, games, food vendors, craft shops. But I couldn’t find my Mom and Dad. 


I started to call them, but they didn’t answer. One lady asked me if I was lost, and gave me some candy. I know, I know, I know. Don’t take candy from strangers, but I was freaking out. She picked me up, and held me. It was nice of her, but I wanted my people. I was frantic, squirming to get out of her arms. I had to go find Mom and Dad. I guess I scared the lady a bit, so she put me down, and told me to stay where I was — she was going to get some help. But I couldn’t just stand there and wait. I really couldn’t. I had to find Mom and Dad. I left the woman, and travelled on. I came to this giant building. Maybe it was the fortune teller. I walked up the stairs and walked through the door.


“Hey! You can’t be in here! Get out!” 


I turned to look at who was yelling at me. It was a man, a big man, and he looked angry. He started running after me. What was I supposed to do? Let him catch me? No thank you! Stranger Danger! I ran into the building. Boy was I in for a surprise.


First of all, the floor was moving — left, right, left right. I could hardly stand up because it was moving side to side so fast. Then there were a bunch of the mirrors. I looked super tall, or super short, or super fat, or super skinny. I did not like these mirrors. They were freaky. I did not like them at all. I climbed the stairs. I could hear the scary man yelling, trying to find me. I hurried forward. There was only one way to go, and that was through a big spinning-round thing, like a giant barrel. I watched as some people ran through. One person tried to walk through and they fell. Not me, I ran as fast as I could. But I was still too slow, and I ended up falling on my back. A little girl helped me get through to the other side. She was very nice. I thanked her. I ran forward. 


Oh no, more mirrors! They weren’t like the crazy mirrors — I looked the way that I always look — but there were so many of them. And I was in all of them. Everywhere I looked, there I was. How could I be in so many places at once? 


I saw the man who was chasing me in the mirrors. I ran forward, but he was right in front of me. He lunged towards me, his arms out, like he was going to grab me, then THUD, he didn’t get me. Because he wasn’t in front of me. But he looked like he was in front of me. This was so confusing. 


I did not like these mirrors any more than the other ones, so I got down low, and crawled under the mirrors until I was out. Mom and Dad were definitely not here. I didn’t think I was at the Fortune Teller’s building. I had made a big mistake. I ran forward. I could hear the sounds of the carnival. The only thing that between me and the outdoors was a slide. I’ve been on a slide before. I hopped on it, and swished outside. 


Free! I felt better — for about a second, until I remembered that I was still lost. I started to cry. 


“I want my Mom and Dad!” I cried over and over, but they didn’t appear. I kept walking. I ended up at the stall where Mom and Dad had bought me my jacket.


“Hey,” said the woman, “I remember you. Your people bought you a jacket.” 


She stopped to look at me.


“I don’t think that you’re supposed to be alone, wandering around.” She looked around for Mom and Dad. I looked around for Mom and Dad. We were both out of luck. No Mom and Dad.


“How about I get you some help? Stay right here, I’ll be right back.”


She was very nice, almost as nice as the woman who gave me candy, but I wouldn’t be able to find my Mom and Dad if I stood right here. I turned and ran away. 


I was back at the midway, looking, hoping to find Mom and Dad. I was searching all the people. No luck. I was beginning to cry again, when I thought that I saw Mom. I started to run towards her.


“Mom! Mom! Wait, Mom! It’ me! Stop! It’s me!” I ran up to her. The woman turned around, frightened. 


“Get away from me!” she yelled. Now I was scared. Why did she yell at me? I thought she was my Mom. Couldn’t she see how scared I was?


Right then, two strong hands grabbed me.


“Gotcha!”


I looked around at the man who had just grabbed me. It wasn’t the first man, but he was just as scary. He had a uniform on, and a badge. He started to drag me away. I started to scream and cry. People were looking at me. But no one was helping. We came up to another building that I had never seen before. He hauled me inside, flung open one of the cells, pushed me in, and slammed the door shut. He didn’t even tell me why I was in jail. He just walked away. 


That’s where I am now. I’m still yelling, and crying and no one is helping me. I don’t know what’s going to happen to me. I want my Mom, and I want my Dad. NOW!


Nothing is working. So I decide to sit quietly. Maybe if I’m good, someone will let me out of jail. 


What? … What’s that I hear? It sounds like Mom, and she’s using her very angry voice. She’s demanding to see me now — right now! Then I hear Dad. He’s angry, too. Now I’m yelling, telling them that I’m back here.


“Mom! Dad! I’m back here! Help! Get me out of here!”


The door is flung open, and Mom and Dad rush in, with Sam and Elaine right behind them. They all rush into the room.


“Mom! Dad! Get me out of here!” I yell.


Mom turns to the man who grabbed me.


“You let him out of there right now!” The man hesitates. “NOW!” she demands.


The man turns towards me and unlocks the jail door. I run towards my Mom and Dad, and I jump into their arms.


“We were so worried. Promise that you won’t ever do this again!” says Mom.


I can’t say that, but I lick her face, wag my tail, and bark, overjoyed to be back with my people.


May 15, 2021 02:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

A B
22:19 Sep 15, 2021

Hahaha a very fun twist ending i thought it was weird when the lady who sold them the coat said your people not parents but now it makes sense lol amazing story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valerie June
19:14 May 18, 2021

Aw, this was a nice story. I liked the twist at the end where we find out that the MC was a dog. It's really fun writing from an animal's perspective! I would have liked if you broke up the flashback with interruptions from the present. Like, if someone came in with food and water or something like that to break things up a bit. Other than that, very well done Tricia! (Beautiful name by the way.)

Reply

Tricia Shulist
15:35 May 22, 2021

Thanks for that, Jose. Because we don’t really know what’s going on with our furry friends, it’s fun to write from their POV.

Reply

Valerie June
17:01 May 22, 2021

I agree. It's important to look at things from different perspectives even to those that seem like they have nothing to say.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.