0 comments

Fiction Mystery Suspense

Harmony is a balance unsettled — a truth in the disguise of a lie. For once, I ask you to truly think: What is the meaning of peace? What has prevented you from experiencing this so-called harmony? When stability is within reach, something simultaneously snaps at your heels to make you forget about it in the first place. Why is that? Every time it seems like life is finally going good, all of a sudden, society becomes consumed by some external influence. In essence; unjust wars dictated by a select few, monetary policies that make the rich richer, while poor folk get dragged deeper in debt, the enacted legislation that further controls your thoughts and movement…But you don’t see them as that. You see ‘justified’ wars as a means to protect your freedom, a sound economic system built to safeguard your money in times of turmoil, and laws that serve to benefit the public. 

You cannot escape the facade. You live in a dream world corrupted by elitist influence. To be fair, I don’t even blame you for believing all the contemptible things placed in front of you. For all the slick and underhanded things that happen to you, all of it has been expertly woven into intricate scenarios that make it nearly impossible to uncover. No matter how many prayers you deliver to your Gods in search of mercy and strength in these times of corruption, all that you receive is hardship and obligatory sacrifices. I implore you to THINK — if not the what or the why to my question(s), the actual query you should be asking and the answer you should be seeking is in regards to who. Who is the one that tips the scales in Lady Justice’s hands? 

When you find out whom, the puzzle pieces begin to fall into place. The deeper you delve into the said individual, the more the curtain swiftly draws back to reveal a reality that is so unnerving that you would hide in the crevasse of an abyss if you could. But you wouldn’t. You would cower and watch in horror as the play of life itself unfolds in front of you. You would sit front row, observing the brilliance of each tactical maneuver that pits people against one another, tears apart cultural identities and ideologies, and witnessing the camouflaged iron fist of the establishment.

Your tiny little brain cannot even begin to fathom the sheer magnitude of deception laid in front of you. Thus, I don’t even know why I am trying so hard to make you actually think. I could give you numerous hints and present it all on a silver platter, and yet, you would still question its legitimacy. What a thought! Society has become so deathly feeble from the amount of manipulation that reality is indefinitely questionable. Strategy and preparation made this very set of circumstances possible! From the daily consumption of media the public intakes to the societal norms that makes one question longstanding culture, it all is a domino effect. Simply put, you have become a character in Orwell’s 1984. You are essentially Winston Smith! Deny it all you want, but from the very moment you were born, you have become indoctrinated with ideas and beliefs that profiteer Big Brother.

Your education system is maintained to create workers rather than to create innovators. You will become an outcast if you go against the crowd in any facet of life, likely indicted and imprisoned (depending on how much you’re willing to stretch for the truth). It is within moments like these, when your docility makes me sick to my stomach, then I remember that it was meant to play out this way. Realize that today’s victors can rewrite history to whatever they so choose!

In this dangerous world where innocently spoken words and actions are transgressed into a slight against the state, I recommend you just shut up. I’ll put this honest advice nicely: hold your opinions in silence, for your thoughts will one day become too loud to ignore. The last thing that you probably want is the anxiety of being under close surveillance and losing your freedoms, no? Well, make sure you support the ruling class in all their decisions and no harm will come to you or your loved ones. 

You know, I should make this fair. Just once, at least! I feel I am just running laps around your finite imagination, and what’s the fun in making this a one-sided battle? 

Can you picture my mischievous smirk right now? 

I am revealing this so you can understand the generations it took to arrive here with true ultimate power and because, at this point, you can no longer resist what comes. The power of the people has dwindled to the point that revealing this to you no longer jeopardizes The Project. So, I shall tell you now: 

I am the one. I am the one pulling the strings. I am the master puppeteer that controls you. Starting all the way back from my Great, Great Grandfather, Jonathan P. Harrington, to the generations after till present time, the Harrington name has generated mass affluence, the true foundation of power. Through this, the Harrington prowess has established the basis for humanity’s existence across the globe by corrupting your politicians, lobbyists, the public’s integrity, so on and so forth. I would explain in detail each step my family took to get to this pedestal; however, that would be a waste of my breath. 

Nevertheless, be aware of the implications; the world is a utopia for my family and I, and a decrepit dystopia for you and yours. But, just know, this is for the better — you wouldn’t enjoy this serene supremacy. It is much better for you to believe you have freedom, even when you have strict rules to oppress you. If I so choose to make you crumble and bow down before me, you will do it and respect it. Unquestioningly. You are not free; you are my slave. Never, and I mean never, think you are different than that. You will obey my every command, speak when spoken to, and believe what I lay before you. REPEAT IT TO ME. I will obey your every command, speak when spoken to, and believe what you lay before me

Now, my people, live your days in happiness, for you don’t need to worry about life’s tribulations…I will take care of all that for you.

December 24, 2023 20:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.