His Masters Voice

Submitted into Contest #194 in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “The plot thickens.”... view prompt

1 comment

Funny Fiction

“I’m a Barbie Girl in a Barbie world life is plastic it’s fantastic come on Barbie, come on Barbie oh, oh yeah, that was Barbie Girl from Aqua and you can pick Aqua’s hit single in the singles section along with some other hit songs from your favorite artists right here at HMV, His Masters Voice on a beautiful sunny Saturday Afternoon,” as DJ Herbie Herb sways his head left to right moving in sync to the beat of the music. DJ Herbie Herb has a prime spot as he looks above the enthusiastic customers from the booth coming into the store as the dress attire is less is more since it’s the dog days of summer in the big apple. The phone rings as DJ Herbie Herb looks intently over the CD’s to play for the afternoon as he decides which artists, songs, and breakout hits to play for the day. “Hello, you need me to save the day again Jane?” asks DJ Herbie Herb. “Oh, how did you know it was me, it could have been Violet who you’ve had your eye on for the past week, Jane mentions. “Whoa, whoa, you know I don’t bring sand into the sandbox, explains DJ Herbie Herb. “What in the world bringing sand into the sandbox really that’s one of the worst ones you’ve come up as of late,” Jane laughs. DJ Herbie Herb laughs, “What it’s a perfect saying, I’m not mixing my sand into the sandbox here.” “Yeah, you can’t even hold it in, you’ve been pretty good not mixing your sand in the box, but I’ve seen you how you look at Violet and I think you’re going to cave in” mentions Jane, “Listen we can discuss how you’ve been good not mixing it up with the locals, but you sure have been going international anyways.” Herbie Herb interjects, “Whoa, whoa, international hey I’m the public relations of HMV representing New York hospitality and it’s my duty to show how New Yorkers aren’t rough, mean, or ru--.” Jane interrupts, “Anyway we can talk about that later, I need some help a customer wants a recommendation of some good electronic music with a rock edge.” DJ Herbie Herb smiles to one of the lovely customers coming into the store, “Oh sure not a problem recommend her Prodigy that will satisfy her.” “OMG who are you looking at now you really can’t help yourself can you DJ oink oink,” Jane responds, I can tell the way you’re speaking that your eyes are locking in on to show off your Casanova skills. Herbie Herb looks at the phone,” Wow, you’re good you can tell that without looking at me.” “How long have we’ve been working together Herb come on, I’m very observant,” Jane mentions. “Funny you mentioned that since we’ve been working together for a while, I need to take you off your high horse because you’ve been friendly with the some of the male tourists coming in, especially now since some of them are showing off their bulging biceps wearing their tank tops, “Herbie points out. “Hey, I’m not blind and yes, I’ve been very friendly like you to show not all New Yorkers are cold you know, but we aren’t talking about me, I’m in a committed relationship, “Jane mentions. “Yeah, you are but I don’t know I do remember last month you kissed that one guy after you helped him find the hard-to-find Ministry of Sound import CD,” DJ Herbie Herb mentions. “Well, he was so hot and was overjoyed he was setting up a BBQ party that weekend and needed to find that Ministry of Sound and yeah I did kiss him and besides my boyfriend and I were on a break last month so whatever happens, happens.” Jane defends. “OMG are you serious, so you were on a break scenario like from Friends damn after that episode dropped everybody and their mother used that excuse oh my god.” “Yo, Herbie Herb enough talking on the phone you get paid to play the music but also talk about the sales and new product we have come on man you’re great but at times you get easily distracted Casanova.” Mike interjects coming from behind. “Ok Jane Mike Vader is here time to go we’ll talk later.” “Really Mike Vader dude I compliment you on your work and you do me like that Mike Vader, really?” DJ Herbie Herb smirks and shakes Mike’s hand. “Don’t be mad at me for taking Alessandra away from you last week, she wasn’t into you, she was trying to use you just to get something,” Mike mentions. “What using me what no woman uses me, I think I’m pretty good at detecting if a woman is just using me,” Herbie says. “Herbie Herb yes you have charmed your way and have had a lot of females wrapped around your little finger but this one got you blinded dude.” “Come on Mike no way, you’re just jealous.” Says Herbie. “No, I’m not yes so, many beautiful tourists coming from around the world looking for the latest music at Herald Square right across from Macy’s is the perfect spot for us and you have reaped the benefits, but it could bite you in the ass. “I’m a one-woman guy and don’t need any drama in my life but you on the other hand you seem to love a little drama in your life,” Mike points out. “What drama the lovely woman who come to the big apple from across the world aren’t living here, they come and shop and yes I’ve hooked up and had a wonderful time while they’re in town and that’s the end of it, no strings attached and I’m free as a bird,” Herbie points out. “Really Herb not one of them have you gotten close to or maybe didn’t have an accident,” Mike questions. Herbie takes a step back, “Whoa. I’ve been always good Mike come on, I’m not ready to be big papa pump anytime soon.” “No little Herb’s with little headphones spinning on the 1’s and 2’s,” Mike laughs. “No Mike not at all,” Herbie mentions. “Listen like you said I need to get on the mike and do my job while you need to man the floor making sure your staff are doing their job.” “Hey just busting your chops kind of but serious ease off a little cause one of these days.” Mike smiles as he walks away. “Okay Debbie downer come one now this is the best life, I’m doing what I love in the best city of the world meeting so many beautiful women from all over the world this is the life.” “By the way can you play something from the Eurythmics since their Greatest hits CD came in and we need to move that product, okay later Herb. “Yeah, sure no problem later Mike,” “Good afternoon, such a beautiful summer Saturday afternoon we’ve got something for everybody and we got the greatest hits from the Eurythmics which you can find in the back of the store in the rock and pop section right here at HMV, Here’s Sweet Dreams at HMV,” DJ Herbie Herb nods his head up and down smiling at all the customers coming in and locks eyes with one coming in with an athletic body with curly red hair with a sunny hat and shades, flowing with a summer floral dress with a small bump. Herbie Herb’s mouth drops as the beautiful lady looks up, lowering her shades as her right hand rubs her small bump and yells, It’s yours DJ Herbie Herb.” “Holy shit” DJ Herbie Herb yells at the mic as the customers look up at him as he didn’t realize he had the mic on. 

April 21, 2023 03:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

David Sanchez
02:02 Apr 27, 2023

I really like the character of DJ Herbie Herb. The dialogue helps to give the reader a sense of who he is, especially through his interactions with the other employees at the HMV store. The ending is great, as the plot really thickened with a surprise. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.