The Glassmaker's Curse

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write the origin story of a notorious villain.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

In the heart of a quaint European village, where cobblestone streets wound through markets and the air was filled with the scent of fresh bread, lived a man named Henri Duval. Henri was a glassmaker by trade, renowned for his extraordinary skill. His delicate hands shaped sand and fire into magnificent creations—crystalline chandeliers that captured the light like prisms, and goblets so fine they seemed to hum when touched.

But despite his artistry, Henri was a man of modest means. His shop was small, tucked away in a corner of the village, and his clients were few but loyal. He had a son, Lucien, who watched him work with wide, eager eyes. Lucien was everything to Henri, the boy's laughter filling the void left by his late wife, Elise. She had died giving birth to Lucien, leaving Henri with both a son to love and a heart full of sorrow.

Henri's love for his craft was matched only by his love for Lucien. He dreamed of passing down his trade, of teaching his son to see the world through the same lens of beauty and fragility. But as Lucien grew older, it became clear that he was not like other children. He was bright—brilliant even—but there was a darkness in him, a simmering anger that Henri could neither understand nor quell.

Lucien was fascinated by the stories of war and power that his father told him, tales meant to warn of the dangers of ambition and greed. But to Lucien, these were not cautionary tales; they were blueprints for a different life. He wanted more than the life of a humble glassmaker’s son. He wanted to shape the world as his father shaped glass.

As Lucien entered his teenage years, his relationship with Henri grew strained. The boy's mind was sharp, his intellect unmatched by anyone in the village, but he had no patience for the delicate art of glassmaking. He scoffed at the time it took to perfect a single piece, the hours spent sweating over a furnace for a creation that could be shattered with the flick of a wrist.

One day, while Lucien was experimenting in his father's workshop, he discovered something that would change his life forever. He found a way to mix certain chemicals with the molten glass to create an almost indestructible material. It was stronger than steel yet as transparent as the finest crystal. Lucien believed he had found the key to his future—a way to transcend his father’s humble existence and claim power for himself.

When he presented his discovery to Henri, expecting praise, his father’s reaction was far from what he had anticipated. Henri was horrified. He saw in his son’s creation not the marvel of ingenuity, but the potential for great harm. He had spent his life creating objects of beauty, not weapons. He forbade Lucien from continuing his experiments, fearing the dark path his son was treading.

But Lucien’s mind was set. He refused to be bound by his father’s fear. That night, he packed his belongings and left the village, vowing never to return until he had made the world recognize his genius.

Lucien wandered the world, seeking out knowledge wherever he could find it. He studied under alchemists, learned the secrets of metallurgy, and became obsessed with the idea of combining science and sorcery. His travels took him to the dark corners of the earth—places where magic was still practiced in secret, and where the line between the physical and the metaphysical blurred.

Years passed, and Lucien grew more powerful, but also more isolated. He had no friends, no family—only the relentless pursuit of knowledge and power. His discoveries became more and more dangerous, and his reputation as a brilliant but mad scientist began to spread.

Eventually, Lucien found himself in the service of a warlord who ruled over a desolate land. The warlord had heard of Lucien’s indestructible glass and wanted it for his armies. In exchange for his service, Lucien was promised resources beyond his wildest dreams—materials, men, and money to continue his experiments.

Lucien agreed, seeing in this an opportunity to finally prove his worth to the world. He created weapons and armor from his glass, turning the warlord’s army into an unstoppable force. The warlord’s enemies fell before them like wheat before a scythe, and Lucien’s fame—and infamy—grew.

But power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Lucien’s creations, once beautiful and deadly, became twisted reflections of his own darkening soul. He began to experiment on living beings, trying to fuse glass with flesh, to create something immortal. His failures were monstrous, and his successes—abominations.

The warlord, now a king thanks to Lucien’s inventions, grew wary of his glassmaker. Lucien’s power had surpassed that of his liege, and the king feared that his own creations would turn against him. In a bid to rid himself of the threat, the king ordered Lucien’s execution.

But Lucien was no longer the glassmaker’s son, eager for approval. He had become something far more dangerous. When the king’s men came for him, they found the palace shrouded in darkness, its halls filled with strange, shimmering figures. The soldiers who entered did not return, and the king himself met a fate too horrible to speak of.

Lucien claimed the throne for himself, but not out of a desire to rule. He cared nothing for the kingdom or its people. His only interest was in continuing his experiments, in pushing the boundaries of life and death, of creation and destruction.

Under his reign, the kingdom became a place of terror. The common folk whispered of the Glass King, a man who could not be killed, whose eyes glowed with an unnatural light, and whose very touch could turn living flesh into fragile crystal. His armies, once human, were now grotesque parodies of life—soldiers with glass bones, eyes that reflected nothing but darkness.

Lucien had become a villain, not by choice, but by the path he had walked—a path paved with broken glass and shattered dreams.

As years turned into decades, Lucien discovered that his experiments had granted him a terrible gift. He no longer aged, his body sustained by the dark magic and alchemical processes he had unleashed. But with immortality came madness. He was trapped in a body that no longer felt, no longer needed sleep or food, a mind that could no longer find joy in anything but destruction.

His creations, once marvels of ingenuity, became the tools of his own torment. He surrounded himself with mirrors made of his unbreakable glass, each one reflecting back at him the monster he had become. He could not escape his own image, could not shatter the glass that imprisoned him in his own twisted reflection.

In time, the kingdom he had claimed fell into ruin. The people fled, the land turned barren, and the once-great palace crumbled to dust. But Lucien remained, a figure of legend, a cautionary tale told to children to warn them of the dangers of ambition and pride.

And there he sits to this day, in the ruins of his palace, surrounded by the ghosts of his past and the glass creations that once brought him so much joy. A villain not born, but made—by his own hand, by the choices he made, and by the curse he could never escape.

For Lucien Duval, the Glass King, there is no redemption, no peace. Only the cold, unyielding glass, and the endless reflection of the man he once was—and the monster he became.

August 13, 2024 03:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.