The Self-Realisation flute!

Submitted into Contest #38 in response to: Write a story about someone learning how to play an instrument. ... view prompt

0 comments

General

Maya is a 45 years old lady and at this time when the people around the world are quarantined so is she.But she thinks she is the unluckiest one as nobody's home and can't be back soon and she has to stay home alone for days.She misses her husband and kids but they had been to different places for work and unfortunately couldn't return home.

Maya didn't know that an unexpected surprise and beautiful present was waiting for her.


She is cleaning her house as she couldn't do it due to her busy life and was bored as well,and while cleaning she got an old chest,brown in colour and that was broken from the sides,its covered in piles of dust,she doesn't even remember whether it actually belonged to her and gets a cloth to wipe of the off the dust and the dust enters her nose and she starts sneezing...She doesn't care about it and goes ahead in exploring the chest.


She opens the chest box and finds some old albums which might be when her kids weren't even born and she gets nostalgic seeing all the things in the chest and she finds an instrument which is a flute and she remembers how when she had been to a fair with her grandmaa she had bought it and how she wanted to play it but as time passed she forgot about the flute and even her interest in it.She never even tried to play it.


She took the flute out and wiped the dust out of it and kept it on the coffee table and got back to cleaning her house.


It was evening now and she was having her coffee and reading a book about discovering oneself,she had kept her coffee mug on the table as it was too hot to sip until you want to burn your tongue,she bent down to take her mug and then her eyes fell on the flute and she took it and kept the book aside,she also didn't bother about the coffee and took the flute to her patio and tried to play it,she blew air into it softly and flute played some tunes...which weren't nice to hear off course as it was her first try,she tried again and it was the same...she thought it wasn't her thing and was about to keep it back in the table but suddenly she saw her grandmaa infront of her who is in the same white dress with floral prints on it and her spectacles hanging around her neck with a golden chain...when she was in the fair ground with her,she saw her grandmaa straing staring her with gentle eyes,eyes filled with love and telling her to play the flute as it was her dream and that's why she wanted to buy the flute and before leaving,her grandmaa said "Find yourself",before Maya could say anything or hug her,her grandmaa was gone and she saw the frame which hanging in her wall which had her grandma's photo in it,she took the flute again and tried to blew it and it was same but she didn't give up and also remembered about the quotes she read in the book,she continued and continued but it wasn't improving...

This time she closed her eyes,remembered her grandma's words,she remembered her own childhood,she remembered her life in just few seconds and blew air into it and she could hear the lovely tunes coming out of the flute...they were melodious and magical...Maya kept playing her flute and grooving to it...she could play it all night...She also imagined her grandmaa dancing and grooving to her melodious tunes...


She sat in her bedroom and kept playing flute and remembering how she had to walk out of her town to take up her further studies and how her whole family was against everything...

She had to start working at such an young age after college to pay her bills and look after herself and later how she had look after her husband and kids...she had to always look after their needs and how her husband was against her hobby to dance...that was when she lost her hobbies,passion and joy and everything just for the sake of her family...she was also burdened in her workplace by her colleagues and boss and later her children who were teenagers used to argue for even small things with her and never respected her...she remembered all she could and what made her lose her passion,her identity and kept playing the flute...and the flute kept going melodious even more,she was happy on her own now and enjoyed playing the flute...that night she realised her true worth and she watched the movies she had been wanting to see from a long time but didn't like to watch them alone...She made herself some lovely food to enjoy with and enjoyed her movie time on her own!She started taking care of herself and knew what it means to do self care which leads to self love the most important one in life.It was because of the flute Maya became happy and realised about her presence and its importance.


It was not Maya who had superpower or magical powers or was extra ordinary to play melodious flute...It was the flute which was magical as it belonged to one of the great flute player and unfortunately it was stolen when her passed away and was sold in a market from where Maya had bought it,when people used to blow with love and passion for flute,the flute used to play melodious tunes which would make anyone groove.

Her grandma's presence was not an illusion but her grandma's sound was actually present there at that moment and later also grooved on the tunes of the flute ,she was the one who made Maya to realise her true worth.


This quarantine period doesn't mean we start losing ourselves by being home,it simply means it's a great present and time to spend on ourselves and to find the lost us.There are many of us like Maya who have lost our identities due to many reasons and maybe we may find a something magical like the flute as well.


April 23, 2020 13:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.