0 comments

Mystery Thriller Drama

"Are you sure?" asked Jack

"cent percent. I saw the briefing with my own eyes. Be ready near the runway. You will have about 20 to 25 minutes to make your move." replied Tom.

"Okay. What about the fence?"

"Don't worry. I have taken care of it. Just be prepared and I will take care of rest." Tom assured Jack once again as the operation they were about to carry was going to change their future and fortune.

Jack placed the receiver of the public phone as politely as he can and glanced backward and then on both sides to be certain that no one was hearing their private conversation via a public phone.

Seeing no humans in the vicinity, he exited that phone booth. He saw a girl running away from him. As soon as he can figure out who she was, she disappeared behind the alley. 

All that was left after it was the beautiful fragrance that uplifted the environment. He was sure that he smelled this fragrance before but was unable to place it somewhere.

Shrugging it as paranoia, he began walking towards his residence and began his preparation for the major event. 

Jack pressed the button and the lift with enough and unnecessary clanking sound began its descent to the lower level. The children rushed out from that lift brushing aside Jack as he was surprised to see the children in the almost empty nine-story building. 

He entered the lift and pressed the button to be bombarded by that ear-piercing sound. The noise cancellation headphones did the trick otherwise he would not survive that sound for even one floor and that point bothered him after seeing children rush out of that lift.

He opened the gate and entered his residence and rushed towards the den. He once again went through the blueprints of the airport runway and the area surrounding it. The most helpful part of that airport was that it was on the bank of a river. This was the escape point that he badly needed.

They had built a 15-foot high wall to isolate the airport from the river and there was no camera as no one can climb or jump such a high wall with a barbed-wire fence at the top. To satisfy some of the doubters, they place a spotlight that covered the entire wall throughout the runway.  

Jack had all that information, thanks to Tom. Tom accidentally got that precious information about a cargo landing at that almost isolated and military airport around 0300 in the middle of the night. He dug deeper and found what it was. If they could lay their hands on it, it would change his fortune.

That's when Tom rope in Jack to finish the task. The entire plan was hatched a month before the landing. Tom planned it to perfection. It was the night to execute that plan to its perfection. 

It was 2200 and Tom arrived at the airport for his duty. The shift changed and Tom took his position which would be crucial to the execution of their plan.

Meanwhile, Jack was loading his gear into an inflatable boat on the other side of that river. He placed the things on the boat. That things were necessary for the perfect execution of the plan. He hid behind the tree with that boat, so no passerby can see him. He still has half-an-hour to wait in silence.

It was 0100 and Jack started peddling the boat towards the other end. They had ample time and the sound of the engine can attract unwanted attention, that they can't afford. Jack paddled his way across the river.  

He tied the boat with the tree and took out the necessary things from it. Then he loaded them in a backpack and placed a stone in that boat. After inflating a life-sized doll, he placed it in the boat and covered it with a camouflaged cloth. It gave an appearance of silhouette hiding on the boat. 

Jack then began walking to the other end of that wall. He reached the pre-designated spot and started to climb, not on that wall but a tree adjacent to it. He made it to the top and waited there as he had around one hour left. 

Tom adjusted his mobile phone which would be crucial in the first phase of the plan. The Air traffic control tower gave him the perfect vantage point to see and manage the plan. He joined last month as an intern for the position of Air Traffic Controller and right now he was shadowing a senior controller. 

The plane was in the vicinity and they announced their arrival. Before the controller can give them permission to land, Tom switched off all the lights on the runway with his mobile phone. Even the back-up lights were cut-off. 

The senior controller ordered them to circle above as soon as he sorts out the outage. Tom voluntarily took the responsibility to check out the issue and the senior controller radioed the ground staff for quick restoration. 

Tom went to the roof and prepared for the next phase of the plan. He used an open channel and contacted Jack.

"Are you in position, Raider one?"

"In Position & Ready to Deploy, Raider Two," confirmed Jack from the top of the tree.

"Deploy" ordered Tom.

Jack let go of the Bird-Drone that he was holding. 

"Deployed" confirmed Jack.

"Okay, then. I will contact you as soon as we have the bird splashed on the ground." 

Tom then took control of that Bird Drone via remote in his mobile. The bird-drone began its ascent.

The outage was sorted out and the plane was given permission to land. The plane began its descend but the bird-drone was not working properly.

'The Plan was to ram that bird into the plane and make a crash landing so that the cargo gets dispersed out of the plane and land near the wall where Jack can collect and run away. 

But the bird-drone created an unwanted problem. They designed a fail-safe plan but missed out the Bird-Drone. That was going to fail them. 

Tom was disappointed and so was Jack. 

"Raider Two. What is the Jam?" asked Jack

"Some issues. It can't fly, Raider one," replied Tom.

Jack and Tom saw their fortune struggling to stay afloat in the air. The drone fell to the ground and luckily no ground staff noticed it.

Tom let his disappointment vent-out through the mobile phone by pressing the button as hard as he can. That frustration worked some magic and Tom saw the drone moving on the airstrip. He deduced that the signal might be weakened due to the distance and he came down to the runway and hid behind the cargo where no one can see him. The Drone lifted again and did its job.

Although it could not ram itself into the plan, the controlled explosive inside it made it sure that the plane could not fond its landing gear upon landing. The plane crash-landed and the cargo came out of the plane. 

Jack was ready on the inner side of the wall. He climbed over the wall when everyone was busy observing the plane crash landing. He once again climbed on a tree inside that wall and waited for everything to settle as planned by them. 

The cargo was not damaged as it was pure gold bars waiting to be transferred to the Fort Knox. But it spilled all over the runway. Even after the issue with that Bird-Drone, the outcome happened as planned. 

Tom quickly cut-off the electric supply of the entire airport. The back generators were also taken care of.

"Raider One, you have nine minutes until the lights go on." informed Tom

"Copy that Raider Two. I will wrap it in three." replied Jack

Jack began his descend and Tom ran on to the control tower as the next phase of the plan needed him there. Jack started filling up his backpack as quickly as he can. He had almost filled what he can carry. 

From nowhere the lights illuminated the entire runway. Electric supply was restored by another backup generator that Tom missed to take care of. Jack was exposed but luckily only one guy saw him. He was the watchmen stationed at gate no 3, the side entrance to the airstrip. 

Jack made a run towards the tree and climbed like a monkey whose tail is on fire. The running and climbing made some unwanted noise. It confirmed the suspicion of the guard that there is someone. He began walking towards that tree. Jack was breathing heavily due to unexpected illumination and if the guard finds him, he would be busted without even spending a penny from it. 

The guard saw something moving around the tree and he removed his revolver. He was advancing cautiously towards the tree. He could not find anyone around it.

Jack was trying to calm his intense breathing and from nowhere, he smelled a beautiful perfume. He had a thing for fragrance as he was able to remember and identify them. He was sure he smelled such fragrance before in a restaurant when he was meeting Tom. But could not put a face on that smell. 

He was sure that guard couldn't afford such lavish perfume, so it confirmed the presence of a third party in the vicinity. 

The guard relaxed as he did not find anything and radioed the security room to send a guy over here for a thorough search. 

The security replied in negative and recalled him near the crashed plane to rescue the pilot and the cargo. As soon as, that security guard turned towards the airstrip, someone fell from the tree that was beside the tree where Jack was hiding.

Guard pointed the pistol towards that fallen figure. That figure got up with raised arms. Guard was about to inform the security room about this intruder but Jack jumped from the tree upon the security guard. 

Jack kicked the radio and tied up the security guard with the tree. 

The fallen figure helped Jack in tying up the guard and that figure was a mid-thirty woman with a backpack full of those gold bricks. 

Jack was safe as he had his mask on but he saw the face of that woman. 

"What are you doing here?" Jack pointed the gun at that woman.

"Same as you." replied Lia facing the gun-barrel with ease. 

"Who told you?" Jack went near with the pistol to exhibit dominance.

"I am the redundancy that your handler placed." replied Lia. "I don't know him personally but he told me to be here and collect the golden bricks that would fall out from a cargo plane."

"Raider Two. Can you hear me?" blasted Jack into the earpiece that he took out from his ear and took it in front of his mouth to shout as much as he can. He was shocked to hear that Tom doubted his efficiency and placed a redundancy for him.  

Tom was in the control tower and the communication was cut-out till the next phase of the plan. Tom was preparing a distraction for Jack to exit from the other end. 

No reply came back. He was unsure of this newfound piece of the plan. But Lia erased his suspicion by producing a piece of paper that had all the plans and codes of that plan in place. Jack checked those mentally and was somewhat sure of her inclusion in this plan.

"Okay, now what?" asked Lia

"Just shut your mouth and follow me." ordered Jack

It was more than 9 minutes but they were well under the buffer time. Tom unleashed the next phase of the plan and triggered the plastic explosive that was placed by Jack when he arrived at that point in the boat.

The wall shook and the surrounding trembled. Jack and Lia used this distraction jumped from the wall on the other side without being noticed by anyone as everyone was busy observing the other part of the exploded wall. 

They made a run towards the river with their backpack full of golden bricks. Jack uncovered the underwater scooter that he brought with him and hid beneath the camouflaged cloth. 

Here the explosion forced everyone to assemble on that side of the airstrip. Everyone armed arrived at that point. Meanwhile, Tom started that boat tied with the tree. The engine sound gave up the location and the guards can see a silhouette on a boat. 

All were busy in tackling that inflated doll under a camouflaged cloth. 

Over here, Jack and Lia secretly escaped from the Airport from under the river with the help of an underwater scooter and some deep breaths at regular intervals via a long pipe. They both reached the other side and hopped into the car that Jack brought it with him. 

Meanwhile, everyone at the airport was busy with the inflated doll on an inflated boat. 

Lia began to narrate her version of the story and Jack was somewhat convinced about it. They reached Jack's house and the lift arrived with all the noise that it can make. The fragrance was still there and it uplifted the environment. 

Lia talked his way into and made an instant friend with Jack. They both met under unusual circumstances to be friends. Jack entered his den and Lia was busy observing out of the window. She pressed the button in her ear-ring to indicate her location.

"She gave the signal." shouted the FBI technician.

"Where at?" asked the agent in command.

"156, Tejlk Avenue, 56th Road."

"Coordinate with local PD and cordon off two blocks. Place one unit at the entrance and other at back-entrance. Let's go and nad him and his master." ordered agent in command. He was happy that at last, he was near to those smart thieves who have robbed at least ten to twelve high-valued targets around the nation. 

Lia settled in and observed all that she can. She confided some of the heists that she pulled off on paper. She was building confidence and she was succeeding in it. She was here to extract the name of Jack's handler who was inside the system and was helping Jack to complete the heist. 

Jack was not so keen as inside him that smell was flagging him to do so otherwise. 

The pager beeped and it was Tom asking him to call from a public phone.

Jack was dying to confirm Lia's claim. 

He picked up his backpack. Lia was keen to follow him and Jack didn't deny her. Jack also picked that noise-cancellation headphone that helps in the lift. 

Both entered the Lift and the noise began. Jack put on the headphones to cancel the noise. The silence helped Jack to recall that fragrance. He placed it in the police station and connected the dots. He acted quickly and stopped the lift. He snatched the bag from Lia and hit her to make her unconscious. Jack opened the hatch of the lift and climbed out. He had an emergency exit planned in advanced and he took it to escape the perimeter with ease.

He called Tom and told him everything.

"That's good, now we have two bags instead of one." laughed Tom and Jack joined him with a smile.

All they have to do is to find some other city. 

The Job will remain the same. 

August 27, 2020 10:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.