Too Much Drama For One Night

Submitted into Contest #35 in response to: Write a story that takes place at a spring dance.... view prompt

5 comments

General

I should have never let Elizabeth convince me to go to the spring dance. I hate dances. They are my worst nightmare. Girls crying over boys in the bathrooms, guys dumping girls for other girls. Dances are just stupid all around. I mean why would you want to go to a dance where no one is actually dancing? I know that I don't. I'd rather stay home and read or watch "Suicide Squad" for the millionth time.

It was Friday, April 25th the night of the spring formal. I was in my Sophmore year of high school and as of then I hadn't gone to any school dances, and I wasn't planning on going. I mean I've had no reason for going. Ever since the 5th grade when I got my braces and glasses I have been a joke, no guy would want to go out with a girl who looks like one of the nurds from a Disney movie.

This year for the spring formal I was planning on going home, curling up in a blanket next to the fireplace and reading as many of the Harry Potter books as I could. Well as 4th period came around, my best friend Elizabeth Hill came up to me like she always does every day.

"Did you hear? Conner Davis is going with Hellen Michael to the spring formal tonight!"

"Really I had no idea, I  mean they have been dating for 5 years, of course, they are going together," I said with the most dramatic eye roll possible.

"You should come tonight," Elizabeth said in the cherries voice she has used in a long time "It would be fun! I've also heard that Chris Rudens was planning on asking you to the dance! You could try out those new contacts you got, we could go shopping after school to get you a nice dress... C'Mon it'd be fun" Elizabeth said with a smile on her face.

"I can't I have plans tonight..."

"What plans?"

"Reading plans."

"You can't stay isolated alone in you're house forever... You know your mom would want you to go tonight" Elizabeth said in a sympathetic voice.

"Yeah well, my mom's not here is she?"

"Sorry I just thought you'd like to get out of the house for once. Let me know what you decide."

It's been 7 years since my mom passed away from breast cancer, and ever since I rarely left the house anymore. So maybe I should go, I mean what's the worst that can happen?

"Elizabeth... I'm coming tonight. Tell Chris to get a nice outfit." I said with a wink.

The rest of the day passed by like a blur. The only thing I remember is Mr. Wedell waisting 3/4 of class trying to spin a basketball on his finger. He even had some of the boys come up and try the trick he was trying to do, they did it first try which made him mad and try harder.

As 3 o'clock came around Elizabeth meet me outside the school to go shopping. Her family was rich so she said she'd pay for me. We first went to Ralph Lauren to look for dresses. Elizabeth wasn't happy with anything they had there so we went to Louis Vuitton where we found the prettiest blue dress (my favorite color). Then we found me a cute pair of black slip-on shoes that went with the dress. I thought we were done but I was wrong. Elizabeth took me to a hair and makeup salon where she got me hair extensions, my hair curled, my nails done, and my makeup done.

By then it was 5:30. The dance started at 6:30 so we headed to her house to change, and apparently, her boyfriend and Chris were going to pick us up there. Even though Chris never officially asked me, he was Elizabeth's boyfriends' twin brother so I knew he was coming. The dance started at 6:30. It was currently 5:45. The boys were supposed to get here at 6 so we could take photos and then go. They got to her house when they said they would, so we took pictures and headed out.

You know how I said that guys dumped their dates for other girls? Yeah well, apparently tonight I was that other girl! No one recognized me because I had makeup on and wasn't wearing my glasses. They all thought I went to another school, and for once people thought I was pretty!

I did feel bad because girls were crying in the bathrooms and stuff, so I simply told all the boys who tried to get to me "don't waste your time stay with your girl... I'm with a guy I really like." Yeah, that was a bad idea. Well, the girls who got dumped all came after ME! Like it was my fault they got dumped. I can't control their boyfriends! I had to get out of there so I ran home, literally ran home, which is 5 miles from the school. I ran 5 miles in a dress and flats! I also ran it faster than I have ever run the mile. As I ran through the door my dad was concerned as to why I was home so early.

"The guys at the dance didn't recognize me, so they all tried to dance with me and dumped their girlfriends because of it. Then all of the girls came after me so I booked it out of there" I said still trying to catch my breath.

"What about Chris? Does he know where you are?" my dad asked.

"I'm not sure, worst case he knows where we live so he'll find me."

Turns out I was right. 30 minutes after I had gotten home Chris showed up at our door looking for me.

"Hello, Mr. Jonhson is Sage here? I realized she took off and I wanted to make sure she was ok." Chris said obviously worried.

"Yes she's up in her room would you like to come in?"

"Yes thank you, Mr. Jonhson."

"Call Me Jeff."

" Okay thank you, Jeff. May I go up and see her."

"Yes, of course, second door on the right."

"Thank you!"

I could hear Chris running up the stairs. I was a little worried because I had already changed into my pj's and had put my glasses on. He was going to see me and leave. Oh well, there was no way he was going to stay with me anyway, might as well get this over with now. He got to my room and kissed me right then and there. I had never kissed anyone before, was I doing it right?

"I've been wanting to do that for a while," Chris said with a smile on his face. "And it was worth the wait."

We sat there for a while not saying anything, and during that time I realized that dances aren't that bad. Sure a bunch of girls came after me because their dates left them for me, but I got the one thing I've wanted most since the third grade. Chris Rudens!

March 29, 2020 01:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

I sometimes like romance, it depends... but this one is truly amazing! Wow, just hooked me right in just like that. We need more writers like you!!!! Have a great day!!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Des Feller
22:35 Apr 08, 2020

I seriously thought this story was so relatable!! Can I just say how freaking hilarious the part was about the teacher wasting 3/4 of the class period??? "The only thing I remember is Mr. Wedell waisting 3/4 of class trying to spin a basketball on his finger. He even had some of the boys come up and try the trick he was trying to do, they did it first try which made him mad and try harder." I seriously was laughing so hard haha ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Lastinger
21:30 Apr 08, 2020

I loved the ending, great job on pushing through the tough part and getting to the fabulous end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yoomi Ari
00:30 Apr 05, 2020

Great story. Lifted my mood!🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jubilee Forbess
21:55 Apr 04, 2020

Fun story! I was going to go to a dance one time after I told all the other kids I'd never go to a dance, but my friends finally convinced me so I bought a dress and got all ready only to get bitten by a spider and not being able to go after all. Plus I never turned into a Spider-Person, so it was a double bummer. Anyway! I liked your story. Parts of it reminded me of the one I wrote for this prompt if you want to read it... :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.