0 comments

General

Patting frantically, searching each pocket. No success, shouting to no one, “It was just here.” A six inch device, a small black screen. More important than even the wallet. The hands slip in and search time and time again, anxiety creeping in, despair filling the chest. Where is it, the thought circles the mind like a wheel. Thankful to be at home, frantically the couch is torn and tossed haphazardly around the room. Still no luck, once more frantically patting the pockets. The last memory holds it should be in the pocket, once more shouting, “WHERE!?”

Panic fills the heart, beating ever faster, though the search has slowed. Each location checked twice and yet still that small device is not in the pocket; it’s nowhere. The highlight of despair comes when there is no one to call the tiny device.

Rational thinking has left the door. All that is understood is the last place that six inch screen resided was the dark blue jeans hugging the cheeks nicely, next retracing the steps seems the best option. The memory of where hopefully filled in by back-stepping; unfortunately, each step back yielding no result. Where is it, the only thought on the mind.

Out of breath and finally looking up, the chaos becomes plain view. The room now buried, looking like a twister came through, a twister named you. All in the search for something last remembered to be in the pocket, anxiety besting the rational mind.

Now, sitting down on the empty sofa, thinking about where the normal drop zone is, reminiscing on how the zone is vacant. This reignites the anxiety, once more looking high and low, the time has only changed by fifteen minutes; the perception feels an eternity.

With a heavy sigh, “It’s time to find it.”

The resolve in your voice sounds barely optimistic, just enough hope to find it. Turning over each moment within the last twenty, a distant memory a cookie jar on the fridge floods the mind. In a tizzy of excitement, running to the jar, excitingly discovering on the counter that six inch screen, a device capable of activating the stress response in the brain.

December 04, 2019 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.