The Imaginary Friend

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: Write about an introvert and an extrovert who are best friends.... view prompt

4 comments

Friendship

The girl clutched onto the boy's hand, not caring how strange it appeared to others.

It was weird that she was holding air. But it's even weirder when someone finds out that 'air' is really not actual air, but instead a charming boy from the 1940's.

The girl gripped onto the boy's hand tighter as she trudged the grimy streets of New York City. She smoothed out her pleated skirt.

"Do I look okay?"

The boy smiled, a small smile that only revealed few of his teeth. But still, charming.

You look lovely. He spoke only three words, but that was enough to make a new hope ignite in the girl.

She beamed.

He had always been the rainbow.

And she had always been the storm.

Opposites.

The two walked in a beautiful silence, something the girl knew the invisible boy appreciated. A grin stretched across his face, and his eyes were closed peacefully.

What could he be thinking about that was so great?

The girl began to rub her neck anxiously, as her thoughts wandered back to the same subject. She blew out a slow breath. The silence was starting to slowly kill her, burning her alive. She fidgeted.

What's wrong?

The girl flinched at the sound of the boy's voice. She turned to him, and was met with a pair of kind, hazel eyes. A tear slipped down her face.

"Why can't you go to school with me?" She whined, her voice shaky. The boy gave her a pitiful smile.

You know why. The girl pouted at his words.

"But I'm going to be alone! How can you be so calm about this!" The girl's voice lowered to a whisper. "I...I'm never going to see you again." Knives stabbed her heart at the thought of never seeing her friend again. She didn't understand why he had to leave-didn't he know leaving would hurt her more?

The boy stopped, and spun the girl around so that she faced him. She kept her eyes down, not wanting him to see her like this, to see her so weak.

I promise, cross my heart and hope to die, that you will be alright. You knew this day would come at some point. The boy softly whispered the words into her ear, and ran his fingers down her cheek, wiping away any tears that dared to cross his path.

The girl glared at him. An anger burned her heart, strong enough to set a fire on the world. How could he be so calm about this? How could he act like this, be so gentle? Was he not angry?

The girl pushed him away, sending him to the ground. A loud thump followed, accompanied with a light groan.

Tears welled in the girl's eyes, and her feet hurried, scuttling through the cloudy city of New York.

If he was going to leave, why even say goodbye?

Shaky cries choked out of her. Tears raced down her rosy face. The treacherous hand of sadness pinched her heart, squeezing it until it shattered into a million pieces. A darkness crawled into her vision, slithering in closer at every step she took.

She collapsed.

It was as if in slow motion.

Falling...

Falling...

Falling...

SLAM!

What was left of her vision slipped away, the eerie darkness the only sight to see. Deep sobs clenched her stomach, until it felt like the air had been sucked out of her, leaving her alone with the stinging pain in her stomach and the feeling of thick blood sliding down parts of her skin.

Her body trembled. This was how it would be for now on.

She would be alone for the rest of her life.

She let out a high pitched whimper before shoving her face into her hands. Water coated her palms, and she tried her very best to rid her face of the crystal tears.

She didn't understand how he could just leave her behind, and be okay with it.

A finger tapped the girl's shoulder. She didn't answer, didn't have the energy to deal with the concerning questions, like 'are you all right?' or 'what's wrong?'

Instead, she buried her face deeper into her hands and let her body shrivel up like a dying plant.

The finger seemed to hesitate before tapping once again, this time using a ginger touch.

The girl only rolled her eyes.

Are you okay? A quiet voice entered her ears, so subtle it sounded like the wind.

The girl quickly wiped her face, disposing of any signs of sadness.

She opened her eyes. The darkness was forced out of her vision, leaving it a bit blurred and shaky.

But she could still make out his figure. Kind, hazel eyes and a mess of dirty blond hair.

"I'm fine." The girl's words were ice. The boy frowned, his eyes full of a deep sadness that seemed to go on forever.

Are you sure?

"Yeah, I am. Now don't you have somewhere to be?" Hurt washed over the boy's face.

He placed a hand on her's.

She shrugged it off.

The boy huffed out a stressed breath, as he found a spot next to her. He plopped down, folding his legs.

Look. I'm sorry that I have to go. If it was up to me, I wouldn't even think about it!

The girl stared at him, her eyes glossed thickly in water. He was telling the honest truth-she could see it in his eyes.

"Then why are you leaving?" Her voice shook along with her body. The boy's eyes glistened. He bit his lip, until a dark blood began to spill down his chin.

Because you're forgetting me. The world seemed to freeze.

"No I'm not." The girl managed to choke the words out. Her heart quickened. If she was forgetting him, would she be making such a big deal out of him leaving? "There's no way, there is no-"

I've been your friend for more than twelve years... That's a lot longer than most. And you're at that age where you're begining to...

"I'M NOT FORGETTING YOU!" The girl screamed, tears slicing down her face. The boy went silent. Sobs rattled out of the girl, the deep pain in her stomach returning.

She wasn't forgetting.

There was no way she was forgetting.

The boy placed his hands on the girl's face, bringing it to meet his.

It's okay. You're okay. He paused before speaking again, almost hesitating. You have to let go. If you can let go of me, then you can move on.

The girl felt a tear slip down her face. With a swift move of the boy's thumb, he flicked it away.

"But I don't want to." The girl croaked. The boy smiled, that charming smile she loved so much.

I'm going to miss you so much. Tears raced down his face now, and his body trembled.

"You will?"

Every day.

The girl gave him a weak smile before pushing her body off the ground until she was standing up. She reached out a hand toward the boy.

He took it.

She pulled him up.

"Do I still look okay?"

You look beautiful. The girl grinned, brushed her skirt off.

"Well let's go then."

They walked in that beautiful silence for the rest of the way, hand in hand like before. This time, the girl did not fidget or cry, but walked with such grace and good posture, that she looked like a princess. The boy kept quiet, his face unreadable.

Here we are. The girl heard his voice shake when he announced their arrival upon the school. The girl stared at the sight in front of her. It was a clean brick building, with grand windows and a set of rustic double doors at the front. The girl couldn't help but smile.

It really was beautiful.

She turned around to face the boy, her throat tightening.

"I guess this is where I say goodbye." She choked the words out. The boy only nodded weakly in agreement. Tears welled in the girl's eyes.

She was going to miss him, miss his shyness, miss his smile. As quick as a strike of lightning, she pulled him into a tight hug, burying her face in his shoulders. Silent cries huffed out of her and she could feel her wet tears stain his shirt.

"Don't forget about me, okay?" She managed the words through harsh breaths.

The boy pulled away from the embrace. His glossed eyes met her's. He smiled, a small smile that only revealed few of his teeth, but still, charming.

Never. The girl pulled him in for one quick embrace before breaking away, but her fingers still intertwined with his.

"Goodbye." Their once clasped hands separated. The girl turned and started toward the building.

And as the boy watched her figure disappear, he felt his body begin to fade into the surroundings. He grinned-he wanted to be smiling for the last few moments of his life.

Goodbye. His voice was hoarse, for it too was beginning to fade with the surroundings. With one last trembling gasp of life, he repeated the phrase.

Goodbye.

Then as quick as the speed of light, he was gone.





July 27, 2021 01:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Kathleen `Woods
06:49 Aug 07, 2021

This was pretty interesting, the concept of imagined friends and their function or decay is a common idea at least on prompt-blogs and the like. I'm not sure how well it fit this particular Prompt, but I liked the actual work. Thanks for Writing!

Reply

Lily Rama
02:45 Aug 08, 2021

Thanks! Yeah, I totally agree with you on how this story represents the prompt. To be honest, I kinda just really wanted to write this. :) Thank you again for your feedback!

Reply

Kathleen `Woods
03:02 Aug 08, 2021

That's a good place to write from actually, it's easier to manage a wordcount if your into the story ain't it?

Reply

Lily Rama
13:46 Aug 08, 2021

Yeah, definitely

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.