0 comments

Mystery

When Louisa first revealed herself to me she didn’t realise that I knew she’d been following me for a few weeks now.

The first time I noticed her was in my usual coffee shop, Gina’s Pastries.

“Any sugar today Dayna?” Gina’s son, Tony, asked me with a flirty smile. Unlike his baker mother, Tony was handsome, athletic and shameless about his disinterest in the family business and preference in the female customers.

I’d smiled. “No, thank you. I’ve had my fair share of sweets today.” My phone beeped. No doubt Jay was messaging about a second date. Perhaps if he’d spent more time acknowledging his date rather than his ‘underwhelming’ steak things wouldn’t have gone quite so south quite so quickly. He had made for one hell of a one night stand though.

A third beep. I wasn’t interested in looking past the water drop emojis to see if there was any actual message worth reading so I muted the conversation. I really should learn to be more upfront to people I don’t plan on seeing again.

That was when I noticed Louisa. Standing in line a few people behind me. Perhaps I wouldn’t have noticed her if when we’d made eye contact she hadn’t looked away quite so abruptly, so guiltily before leaving without a coffee.

The third time I noticed her was at work.

I was at my desk, researching the latest addition to our art collection when Tracy had approached me.

“Hey, Danielle, got a sec?”

I’d nodded.

“Well, there’s a weird man who says he needs your help? Seems kinda strange though…you know him? He asked for you by name.

I’d glanced up and spotted him through the blinds of my office, standing in the foyer of the gallery near Tracy’s desk. It was Frederick, the gangly husband of Louisa. I kept my gaze cool, unlike his, nervously bouncing around like a tennis ball in a fast paced match.

“That’s okay Trace, thanks. Maybe he’ll turn out to be our next big donor.” I joked.

Tracy laughed. “If you say so. Don’t forget I’m on speed dial if he gets freaky.”

“I’ll remember that.” I returned the laugh, approaching the man.

“Dr. Danielle Howler,” I introduced myself, holding out my hand. “How can I help you?” I used my professional voice- a mixture of friendly yet assertive. I didn’t allow my eyes to so much as flicker towards the poorly disguised woman, standing near the brochure stand of the gallery, pretending to flick through the papers in front of her.

“Greg Hitcher.” He lied, his words seemed to leave an unpleasant taste in his mouth. “I was wondering if you could, uhm, appraise something for me?” He was nervous. Good god, whatever dodgy business these people were a part of, they were hardly professionals.

“I can have a look for you. What is it exactly you’re wanting appraised?”

“Do you have somewhere more private to talk?”

“Of course.” I replied smoothly, ignoring Tracy’s pointed glance.

I led us both to my office, past Tracy, who gestured to her corded phone.

Speed dial.” She mouthed at me. I fought back a smile.

“What is it you want me to look at?” I asked as I leant against my desk. “Please, take a seat.” I offered.

“A book.” He replied. “I hear you’re an expert.”

I smiled. “An expert in art, familiar with literature. But I can certainly look for you.”

Gaze darting, Frederick opened the flap of his side back and retrieved an antique looking book. A mahogany leather spine, a marbled mossy green hard cover.

“May I?” I asked with an outstretched hand. I gently opened the book and took in the pages, slightly yellowed, the font, small, splotchy in sections. The title, gold and capital letters proudly announced it as being a poetry book.

“This is quite remarkable.” I mused, inspecting the immaculate quality of the novel. “Where did you come across this?” I asked.

“Heirloom.” Was his curt reply. His eyes seemed oddly focused on me, waiting intently for my answer.

“A first edition Edgar Allan Poe book in such pristine condition. A treasure.”

Frederick’s face fell. “Oh. Thanks for your time.” He stood abruptly.

“Interesting. That’s not exactly the reaction I’d give if I was told an old heirloom of mine was valued at a minimum of thirty thousand.” I began as Frederick began to leave. “Don’t you want it back?”

“Oh, right.” Frederick reached for the book but I pulled it back.

“I’m assuming your lack of reaction is due to the fact that you know this book is a fake.”

Frederick looked up in shock as I tossed the book to him across the desk. He clumsily caught it.

“Which,” I continued, “Begs the question, why were you testing me?”

“I, uh, I-,” He stammered.

“It’s a convincing first edition, I’ll give you that. Mustn’t have been easy to rustle up such a good replica. So you must have been really keen on testing me, to check if I was able to tell the difference. Next time, don’t use PVA to bind the book, it wasn’t used to bind books in the 1800s. Who exactly sent you to see me?” I asked.

Frederick glanced behind him at the door before clicking it closed and grinned, encouraged. “You’re as good as they said you were.”

“They?” My eyebrows narrowed.

Frederick threw the book back to me and I caught it mid arc. “I’ll be back for that, Doc.”

 

  ~ ~ ~

 

The fourth time I saw Louisa was in a taxi.

“Corner of twenty third, please.” I had requested the heavily moustached driver.

“Yes ma’am.” He replied, taking off into the heavy city traffic.

It was then that I caught sight of her in the rear view mirror. She was scurrying across the road.

A blank envelope sat upon the passenger seat.

Inside was an invitation to a gallery opening. A collector was exhibiting his expensive and rare collection as apart of an elite charity event. I was familiar with the type.

I shook the envelope again and a phone number fell out its folds.

I sighed and shook my head before dialling the number.

“Hello?” A woman’s voice.

“I suppose you are the one I should RSVP to?” I queried.

 “I-,” The woman started.

“I’ve let you play out your game for a few weeks now. I’ll meet you at our usual café, I trust you can find your way there Louisa.”

“How do you-,”

I laughed. “Please, let’s discuss this in person, shall we?”

“What time?” She replied, her question slippery with nerves.

“I’m on my way now.”


~ ~ ~


Tony smiled, flashing his pearly teeth. I estimated the dental work would have cost him at least six month’s wages.

“Fred’s in security. That’s how we caught wind of this.” Louisa nursed her steaming mug of cocoa in her hands. “We know the risks, but, we need this. That’s why I’ve been following you, I had to check you were the real thing.”

I sipped my long macchiato. “I’ll admit, Louisa. Your motive wasn’t clear. What would motivate you to involve yourself in something like this?”

Louisa’s hold on the mug tightened and her eyes filmed over. “It’s Cassie, our daughter. She’s sick. We… don’t have any other options. We need this money, Doctor. Please.”

I studied her carefully. “I accept.”

 

 

 ~ ~ ~

 

 

I applied my lipstick, my signature Royale Ruby and readjusted the elegant pin in my auburn hair. I studied my reflection, checking everything was in place. The scarlet red dress I wore was stunning, amply flattering whilst still modest enough to be classy and, of course, to hide the equipment I’d concealed. Not an easy task whilst still looking downright gorgeous, mind you.

I exited my apartment, awaiting my limousine.

“Demi!”

I turned and immediately cursed under my breath.

“Jay, hi. What are you doing here? Outside of my apartment?” I asked, watching the ambers and red car lights streak across the darkness of the summer evening.

“I hoped I’d see you, you’re a hard woman to catch.” Seeing his face, excited like a puppy reunited with its owner after a long day of work told me; this was going to hurt him a lot more than it would me.

“Well, you found me.” I smiled tightly. “Surprisingly where I live.”

Jay laughed awkwardly. “Where ya headed? You look…beautiful.”

“Just out. I’m actually running late. But… good to see you, Jay.”

“I could give you a ride.” Jay offered as the limousine pulled up to the curb.

“That’s generous, but I have transport. Also, the other night, it was a one off thing, you know?”

I slipped into the limo, greeting the driver.

 “Wait!” Jay called out.

I sighed, short on time and patience.

“You know what I discovered, Demi?” He asked, stepping towards me.

“I’m late-,” I started. His insistence was seriously starting to taint the memory.

“You’re not on the guest list tonight, are you?” He accused, suddenly serious.

“Excuse me?” I laughed.

“You know, I’ve been researching and couldn’t help but notice a pattern. High value objects keep disappearing at charity events and there’s someone off the guest list who happened to be at every single one of these parties! What are the odds?”

I kept my gaze steady.

“I know who you are, Doctor. And I want in.”

I reached for the door but hesitated, a plan already formulating. “Get in.”

 

~ ~ ~ `


“How exactly do you plan on getting us in without an invite?” Jay asked, rubbing his hands together nervously. He was dressed in an average dress shirt and formal slacks. Coming with me was his plan all along, the slippery fox.

“Who says I’m not on the list?”

As we approached the mansion of the collector, I exited the limousine gracefully, leaving Jay behind.

“Catherine Soim.” My accent was well practised.

The guard smiled and welcomed me inside. As planned, I’d have a twenty minute window before the real Catherine arrived. Plenty of time, especially with my newfound diversion.

“Name?” The guard asked my unwelcome companion.

“Uh…,” Jay shot me a panicked look. I smirked to myself. Amateurs.

I’d already whisked myself off into the glamorous world of priceless art. Temptation swarmed me as I admired the alluring pieces adorning the walls. Pieces that I’d dedicated years studying and learning about.

It wasn’t hard to locate the security door and it was even less hard to locate the security guard with the security pass. I grabbed a glass off a tray carried by one of the many waitstaff. With a dazzling smile, I approached, saluting him with my champagne glass.

“Sir, where is ze bathroom?” I asked tipsily, lightly brushing against him.

“Over there, ma’am.”

I smiled my Royale Ruby smile. “You are too kind.”

I disappeared into the crowd of elites, all adorned with the most exclusive of silks and stunning jewels.

A commotion at the entrance caused ample distraction. I smirked at the sight of Jay, being escorted down the stairs by the guard. He caught sight of me.

“Demi, you bitch!”

I tilted my glass towards him before hurrying towards the security door that would lead to the library.

I finished the champagne, not wanting to waste such high quality liquor, and slipped through the door with a simple scan of the security key the guard had been generous enough to gift me.

From the blue prints of the house, I knew the living quarters were behind this door, including the private library. With a simple left, right and then-

“I won’t go out there!” A young female voice shouted. I immediately backed up against the wall, my body flush with the shadows of the dimly lit corridor.

“Claudia, you are my daughter. If you don’t get out there-,” I pulled my compact mirror from my purse and angled it down the corridor. I recognized Bernard de Silva, the event host, arms crossed.

“No! I’m sick of this! I’m going to my room!” The stylishly clad teenager stalked off towards the stairwell.

“Claudia!”

His back turned and I didn’t hesitate. I slipped past him, far too engulfed in shadow to be seen.

I felt my breath catch in my throat as I entered the library. It was truly remarkable. Lined walls to floor with polished mahogany shelves, books of all genres were proudly displayed. My fingers itched by my sides as I admired the collection.

Don’t get distracted, I disciplined the historian in me. You have a book to recover. My delicate wrist watch alerted me of the fact I had under five minutes before Catherine would arrive and probably less before Jay would blow my cover.

With a renewed vigour, I walked towards the central desk. Retrieving my pick lock, snugly secured against my upper thigh, I made short work of the top drawer and procured the key taped against the roof of the drawer. I grinned. Louisa’s intel had been solid.

Now for the painting. It was a beautiful piece I instinctively valued at five thousand. I removed it from the wall to reveal a standard safe behind it. Nothing too difficult. Using the key, the first door swung open to reveal a secondary door.

I pulled out a device from my sleek purse and positioned it against the door, turning the lock on the safe, listening carefully.

In the near distance, an alarm began to blare. Time was escaping me.

I pulled out my smart phone and googled Claudia De Silva.

The familiar party girl smiled sultrily through the touch screen. Birthday, 12/03/2005. I spun the safe accordingly.

The door swung open, revealing a stack of books, all seemingly identical. I grinned in relief.

Adrenaline coursed through me like water rushing through a pipe as I stared at the treasure trove before me. Multiple replicas, one priceless artefact. I hoped my expertise wouldn’t fail me.

I heard a soft squeak of a floorboard coming from behind me. I ignored it, using my flashlight to peer into the safe. The safe could be open for two minutes before it would initiate security protocols. Weight activated, if anything was removed, an alarm would sound.

Book #1’s pages were artificially yellowed. #2, far too clean. #3, cracked spine. #4 and #5 identical to Book 1. Probably from the same producer. Book #6? I slid it from the pile, replacing it with the replica I brought in with me. I didn’t dare breathe as I awaited the alarm.

I grinned.

“Hands where I can see them!”

I froze.

Dressed in a security uniform was Frederick. A small black pistol was aimed towards me.

“Turn around!”

Hands raised, I slowly turned.

“Book on the ground, kick it towards me.”

I cursed. “Frederick, what is this? I’m supposed to give the book to Louisa-,”

Frederick scoffed. “Like you were going to just hand it over.”

“We had a deal.” Anger fuelled my words.

“Shut up.” Frederick snapped. His once awkward hands now shook erratically, grasping the weapon. “Turn around! Count to one hundred. Don’t leave before you finish. Got it?”

I had no choice. “One…two…three…,”

“Thanks Doc, couldn’t have done it without you.” With that, Frederick fled.

“…four…five…idiot.” I grinned, switching Book #7 carefully with the second replica I’d brought before slamming the safe closed, just before the timer ran out.

“Beautiful.” I rehung the painting before exiting the library, easily assimilating back into the crowded guest hall.  

“Guard, please! I zaw a man with a gun!” I panicked, pointing towards the exit Frederick would undoubtedly take.

As dismayed elites panicked and were slowly herded towards the exit, I plucked an elegant, slim coat off the back of a chair and unclasped my hair. I immersed myself amongst the guests, ducking my head as Jay was being questioned by a guard. I smirked. No doubt he would bare the brunt of the interrogation.

Once I was a safe distance away from the mansion, I pulled a phone out of my purse and dialled.

“D-doctor?” A woman’s voice stammered.

“Louisa, a pleasure. Why do you sound so surprised?”

The woman who’d helped set me up faltered. “Where’s Fred?” She demanded.

“Probably on his way to you, no doubt with the police on his trail. I must thank you though, this wouldn’t have been so easy without you.”

“Doctor, please, my daughter-,” Louisa desperately pleaded.

“Louisa, please. You and I both know you don’t have a daughter. But thank you for the doing the leg work. You take care now.”

I hung up before dialling another number I had never written down before.

“Danni! Long time no hear. How’d you like your present?” The familiar voice of Stones, my oldest acquaintance boomed in greeting.

I looked down at the book in my hand. “It’s beautiful.”

“I knew you’d like it. You’ve always had such expensive taste.”

“You’ve always accommodated it.” I sassed.

“Now that I’ve got your attention, which Danni, is not the easiest thing to come by-,” Stones began before I cut him off.

“Not interested.”

Stones laughed. “Don’t tell me you’re still angry.”

I remained silent.

“I won’t stop trying to win you over, you know that.”

“No point.”

“That’s where you’re wrong, Danni. This isn’t simply an apology. We have other business to attend to.”

“As I’ve already said-,”

“There’s another gala in town next month. Something that would really interest you.”

I cursed my intrigue. “What would that be?”

“Something you’ve been chasing for a while, Danni.”

I stopped walking. “I don’t believe-,”

“Come over, Danni. We have a lot to discuss.”

I hung up and sighed, chucking the burner into the nearby public bin with a metallic thud.

A sleek car pulled up in front of me. I rolled my eyes before opening the door and slipping inside.

“Anything you’d like to listen to, Doctor?” The heavily moustached driver asked with a slight smile.

I laughed. “Driver’s choice.”

 

 

April 17, 2020 03:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.