0 comments

General

“I don’t think I like you.”

“Unfortunately, you don’t have a choice about who your parents are.”

“But that doesn’t mean I have to listen to you drone on about whatever it is you’re going on about.”

“No, I think it does. It’s either listen to me or stay grounded.”

“You don’t have that sort of power over me.”

The child stabbed at the food on her plate. She flicked a few pieces of broccoli that landed on the table. Her head began to hurt and she knew a headache was coming on.

“I need to go.”

“You can’t.”

“I would disagree.”

“I know you would disagree, but the fact remains that I am the adult and you are the child. You don’t get to dictate how this night will go. You’re not old enough, and you certainly have demonstrated how you are not mature enough.”

“Fuck you.”

“See, right there. You’re just showing me how much you don’t deserve to go out tonight.”

“I don’t need your permission.” She pushed her chair back and stood up from the table.

“I never said you could leave this table. You need to finish your dinner.”

“No, I don’t. I don’t think you’re hearing me. I don’t have to do what you tell me.”

“Fine, then go to bed.”

“No.”

“Go to your room.”

“No.”

“Sit back down.”

“No.”

“Stop saying ‘no’.”

“No.”

“If you leave tonight, then you can’t come back in. You understand that, right?”

“Of course. I never had any intention of coming back.”

“What will your mother think?”

“I dunno. Maybe that you killed me and buried the body.”

“Why would you want your mother to worry like that?”

“To hurt you.”

“What did I ever do to you?”

“You fucked her.”



February 21, 2020 03:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.