0 comments

Crime Fiction Friendship

Sparky raised her feline legs and stretched out herself on the soft leather couch. It was morning and the trash men had just passed. Friday, trash day and the truck was loud enough to wake her up. Cinder and Ash the two Alsatians she shared this home with her master were barking at noise of the trash truck. The pair made their rounds outside before entering through the doggy door. They had been up before dawn with their noses in the air and paws on the ground. She rarely got excited over anything except food time and the occasional mouse, it was morning and her stomach purred and groaned.


Cinder could coax the old man out of a treat just by wagging her tail and smiling. Ash would stand in front of the old man with a bone in between his jowls staring him down expecting a treat, it wasn't intimidation it was a Mexican standoff! This was a once a day ploy, a game between master and dog. A Dogs game of chance. The old man reached for the treat can over the sink and pulled out four cookies, two-fers each.


The old man's name was Mecha short for mechanic, of which he was. He repaired most European autos and he was in demand five days a week from 8 to 5. The house was in the rear of the lot set back away from the shop. It was a nice lot and large enough for him and his business. The dogs provided security during the after hours along with the cameras, security gates and alarm system. People with expensive European cars were very security conscious about their vehicles. There had been problems in the area recently. Two car jacking's near the local mall at gunpoint, several muggings at the park including a attempted sexual assault at the local bowling center. Silver Pointe was a modern city with all the suburban problems.


Mecha was prepared for any problem. Under the desk at the shop secured by a gun magnet was a 9mm Smart gun. In the house was conventional riot gun loaded with buckshot kept in a secured gun locker in the bedroom. At his right hip was a tactical lock blade. He had the dogs and cameras and the police patrolled the area frequently as the Mayor was the owner of a expensive Audi and a customer. The Police chief owned a bulletproof vintage Mercedes bought from auction. It's previous owner had been a diplomat who had been caught in a compromising situation and had to leave town.


7:56 AM time to open for business. Mecha left the house and walked toward the shop. Shop keys hung from the hook of his belt. The gate had a keypad with a 8 digit combination. The dogs followed behind him. Cinder moved to point while Ash stayed to the old man's right, nose to the front eyes forward. Cinder picked up the scent first, human but not a normal body odor smell, sugary rancid fear like smell. It was gone quickly, She was the only one alerted to it.


Sparky was the only one left in the house and looking for something to do. Master had opened up a can Salmon cat food for her and scooped it in her bowl. I'll eat first she thought and use the litter, grab a drink of water and watch the birds from the window after I throughly clean myself. I'll throw up the hair ball outside in my favorite spot near the hole in the fence where the rabbits occasionally poked through.


With the front gate opened at 8:02, the mayor was dropped off by a staff member to pick up the Audi in for routine servicing. Mecha was ready with the keys as the mayor walked inside the office. “Your honor it's been a pleasure to serve you and please have your assistant contact me regarding the bill, I'll take payment over the phone, unless you want to write a check?”, he replied. “I have a breakfast meeting with developers if you don't heat from her call for the payment.” his honor replied. “Sounds good”, said Mecha. The mayor found the Audi parked in the lot turned the key and off he went.


The employees hadn't arrived yet. Cisco and Joaquin were late, that was unlike them. A van pulled up on the other side of the fence. An old econoline with primer spots and rust. He'd never seen it before in the area, well not visiting his shop. Four shaved heads, four white T-Shirts, black pants and tattoos exited from the van. This didn't look right. The gate was roughly slid almost closed and two of the bangers moved through the front entrance to the front door as Mecha watched the flat screen camera view. He pressed the switch on the desk and locked the front door to the shop. It was a steel door and very secure. The Homeboys banged on the door loudly, kicking and hitting the door. Mecha reached for the smart gun under the desk and racked a round. Ash had started to bark and snarl while Cinder took up the rear position at the rear entrance quietly listening for a attemped entry. The two other MS-13 tried the lock and kept at the door while Ash intently watched and started to bark a consistent repetitive rhythmic whoop. The front door was being hit with a short sledge on the entry knob. Mecha dropped a security bar and then closed the gate quickly with the emergency switch. The gate secured and the alarm was sounded but the intruders kept at the entry. He could release the back door and the dogs could take over while he leveled the 9 mm at them at them but there was no place to go except barricade and wait for the police. He ordered Ash to the rear door and fired the 9mm twice to stop the front invasion. Silence. A voice said “we'll burn you out Old man” from the front. He answered with two more shots through the window. He pulled out the iPhone from his side of his coveralls and pushed the side button twice for 911. The operator picked up after two rings. “911, is this a emergency?” “There are intruders on my property at Mecha's European garage attempting a robbery.” “We have the address and units are on the way, please do not hang up. Leave the line open.” He heard the rear door give way with a groan of metal. Two molotov cocktails came flying through the opening. Ash and Cinder sped out the opening and attacked the two intruders. Cinder went for the smaller man attacking his groin viciously while Ash went for right forearm and throat of the other. Mecha hit the fire control. The Halon stopped the spread as Mecha exited the breached door with the smart gun raised. The dogs had eliminated the two threats. The men lay severely injured on the ground crying out “ayuda ayuda estoy lesionado”. He felt like putting a few bullets in them but the police were on their way. The others had made there way to the rear house to make a excape from the dogs and Mecha. Two shots and a hand with a gun from the front door pointed toward him. The dogs moved wide away from him and stayed wide on the way the house. Mecha had ten shots left. The gunman was inside his home pointing a weapon at him. He should wait at the shop and let the lawmen take care of it . Who were these Jerkoffs? Why did they attempt to rob him. Maybe the police will find out.


Sparky had been watching the whole thing from the front window. What a way to start a Friday. The tall Hispanic man with the very bright white T-Shirt had come into the family room with a bright shiny chrome 9mm. He was cursing and not in a very nice mood. She was underneath the couch and watched him walk around the room. He was now on his cell phone with someone saying he was in trouble and needed help to get there immediately. Ash and Cinder were outside with Mecha. The police sirens had stopped and the gate was opened by remote. The patrolmen entered and spoke with Mecha as the dogs heeled by his side. The ambulance arrived had pulled up. The two who had breached the back door were cuffed and sent to the hospital with injuries. One had got away and the final suspect was barricaded in the house surrounded. The Officer-in-Charge with a bull horn attempted to talk to the suspect, but again two shots rang out nearly missing him. Then the tactical team had arrived and cleared the area.


Sparky's routine had been completely interrupted, gun shots, loud talk, doors broken into, dogs going crazy, fire bombs, it had been a hell of a morning. She was angry. As the intruder walked around waving his gun and talking on his cell phone she jumped on back of the couch quietly as he walked by and flew at the back of his bald tattooed head, front paws dug into above his eyes rear leg paws gripping and tearing his ears and then released and back under the couch. His 9mm hand firing, phone in the other he ran for the front door blinded by blood. One of the tactical squad dropped him with a few rubber bullets to the belly and groin. A very painful day for the bad guys.

The Police left late in the afternoon, it took time to square things up. Mecha had closed the shop for the day after the Lawmen left. A day lost. He was back in home now with the dogs and Sparky. He stroked her fur and whispered in her ears,” you saved the place for us, he could have burned the place down, thank you my fierce kitty.”


October 18, 2020 05:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.